Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] ‘Game changing’ smartphone app gathers evidence of speeding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A new app has been developed to allow pedestrians to use their smartphones to gather evidence of speeding vehicles.

https://www.transportxtra.com/publi...-smartphone-app-gathers-evidence-of-speeding/

78515-l.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not going to be admisable in court. even officially calibrated cameras need to have the road markings to enforce. evidence of dangerous or anti-social driving more usful.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Completely pointless

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the person with the smartphone is moving whist taking video it would surely make any offense recorded as inaccurate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Completely pointless

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the person with the smartphone is moving whist taking video it would surely make any offense recorded as inaccurate.

If the smartphone knows its moving, at what speed and direction, then the maths could still work out the speed of the car.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
not going to be admisable in court. even officially calibrated cameras need to have the road markings to enforce. evidence of dangerous or anti-social driving more usful.

This. No way known it stands up in court, it won't pass the various tests on proven scientific accuracy. Where it *might* be useful is in allowing local residents to lobby their council if they are able to compile evidence (via this app) that shows that speeding is rife on their street(s).

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If the smartphone knows its moving, at what speed and direction, then the maths could still work out the speed of the car.

Not accurately enough for this to be anything other than a gimmick.

The amount of calibration and info that needs to be recorded for a police camera so fines can be levied is such that this would never be able to be used to prosecute speeders.

That and the fact there would need to be a law change as speed cameras need to be both visible and have warning signs.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
What is this weird new obsession we seem to have with all monitoring and telling tales on each other. It’s an absolute sickness in our society.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Is there nothing that smartphones can't do these days?

For example, I downloaded an app on my last phone that would allow me to drive large nails into the wall, using nothing but the phone. It worked well.

But only once, unfortunately. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Top fishing Stato, not long left of your notice too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not so much fishing as 'dangling'. :lol:

Although that said it is funny to see those who have and haven't read the short article before forming an opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]YUb1MFtEBZE[/yt]

Are we turning into a nation of snides ?

Reminds me of this YouTube channel - CyclingMikey at "Gandalf Corner", which I do find strangely addictive for the confrontation. I'm on his side - the drivers should obviously NOT be skipping to the wrong side of the road to bypass a traffic jam and take a sneaky right turn at that junction. And fair play to the bloke, he always stands his ground.

But sometimes its the holier-than-thou "tch tch tch" and finger-wagging at people that grinds my gears, and secretly makes me hope he steps out in front of Will Smith one day.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What is this weird new obsession we seem to have with all monitoring and telling tales on each other. It’s an absolute sickness in our society.

New obsession???

Have you seen league tables for CCTV cameras per head of population?

London has consistently over the years been very nearly 'World Beating!' at that too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[yt]YUb1MFtEBZE[/yt]

Are we turning into a nation of snides ?

Reminds me of this YouTube channel - CyclingMikey at "Gandalf Corner", which I do find strangely addictive for the confrontation. I'm on his side - the drivers should obviously NOT be skipping to the wrong side of the road to bypass a traffic jam and take a sneaky right turn at that junction. And fair play to the bloke, he always stands his ground.

But sometimes its the holier-than-thou "tch tch tch" and finger-wagging at people that grinds my gears, and secretly makes me hope he steps out in front of Will Smith one day.

And that concludes today's very short lesson in précis.:rolleyes:

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
New obsession???

Have you seen league tables for CCTV cameras per head of population?

London has consistently over the years been very nearly 'World Beating!' at that too.

That’s the state though, and they’ve always been nosy blighters. I’m talking more about individual private citizens being encouraged to spy on and report each other in a manner that’s scarily reminiscent of a currently unpopular country in Eastern Europe.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
We have village vigilantes that use speed guns to clock drivers doing over 30. If caught you get a polite letter from the local plod and a slapped wrist. Does my head in seeing these do gooders on the side of the road especially as I followed one recently who was driving at 35 mph. Although I dont like to see people driving too fast in the village it just doesnt seem right to have civilians carrying out this sort of surveillance

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Absolute nonsense. Unless the phone is painted bright yellow, there's no way it would stand up in court.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here