Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gambling: The Unique Addiction?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with your post, except that the private guilt/shame is possibly still there in spades, although as you rightly say the public guilt/shame is not.
Agreed, I may have worded it wrongly.

I have definitely been guilty of very poor eating habits at times, and the guilt/shame is definitely there.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Nobody starts to drink, smoke, gamble or take drugs believing they will become an addict, and even when they become one it takes a lot more to admit it. In the 60s people who smoked Peter Stuyvesant were portrayed as living on a yacht in the Mediterranean, spirit drinkers are party loving or intellects, everyone who gambles are shown in crowds laughing and singing having a great time, drug addicts think they are international rock stars. None of this is true. I have lost a family member to lung cancer, another to suicide from depression due to drinking. I have been to crack cocaine anonymous meetings with a close friend and listened to stories of how people have descended into hell. We now have the likes of Robbie Savage and Jermaine Jenus (haven't they got enough money) laughing as they advertise the fun of gambling, while in the real world people are losing their lives, families and homes. It's time all gambling was banned from advertising. It's not illegal, you know it's there and if you stop pushing it people may become more responsible.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
GAMBLING NEWS:

From 2026/27 season the Premier League has voluntarily agreed to ban gambling sponsor names from the FRONT of their shirts (8 are sponsored by betting firms right now).

This decision - voted on by the clubs - comes ahead of the imminent gambling white paper.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
GAMBLING NEWS:

From 2026/27 season the Premier League has voluntarily agreed to ban gambling sponsor names from the FRONT of their shirts (8 are sponsored by betting firms right now).

This decision - voted on by the clubs - comes ahead of the imminent gambling white paper.
Step in the right direction.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good start, now let's see it disappear from the current saturation TV coverage and the pitch-side hoardings

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
GAMBLING NEWS:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The absolute gall of this response is shocking

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Still allowed on shirt, just not main front sponsor. So expect back of shirts sponsor like lower leagues, but bigger lettering. Also still around ground and every advert break. Not forgetting Talk Sport plugging betting every 30 seconds.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Great news (hated seeing practically half of the EPL teams bearing the logos of random asian betting companies front and centre) but far more needs to be done to curb its visibility.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The one time of the year I go a bit mad with betting is on the World Championship snooker, which starts on Saturday.

I don't smoke and hardly ever drink now so I enjoy having a heavy flutter for the next fortnight.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
GAMBLING NEWS:

It‘s a sheep in wolf’s clothing. All but one PL front of shirt deals are for overseas gambling companies. Total value of gambling sponsorship in PL £60m, most recent increase in total PL income (non-COVID) in 2022 was £500m.

The market price of shirt sleeve deals will go up whilst front of shirt will decline. There will be negligible impact on overall PL revenues or gambling harm.

The industry will continue to control some gambling charities in terms of what they can say (no mention of suicide, bankruptcy or domestic violence in the literature) and encouragement to say that gambling will be made ‘safer’ for those with problems. There’s no ‘safer’ amounts of booze or crack for alcoholics or drug addicts though.

Gambling industry controlled by white collar Escobars, insidious and malevolent bunch.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gamblers who are losing £1,000 a day are expected to face checks as part of new, tougher gambling regulations.
Sources say these will kick in when a gambler loses £1,000 in 24 hours, or £2,000 over 90 days. How these will be carried out is as yet unclear.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Gamblers who are losing £1,000 a day are expected to face checks as part of new, tougher gambling regulations.
Sources say these will kick in when a gambler loses £1,000 in 24 hours, or £2,000 over 90 days. How these will be carried out is as yet unclear.
Looks like the widespread advertising and marketing will continue unabated. A huge victory for the gambling companies’ various lobbyists who must have been pulling their hair out each time they got Tory minister onside, they were then sacked, moved on or they resigned.

A great day for the head honchos and executives of these gambling companies whose salaries would make a footballer blush.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here