[Brighton] FourFourTwo article

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have said previously we are at the beginning of a new era and I stand by that. The Academy is starting to produce players and we have a recruitment team who are plucking gems like Lamptey. I think we are in a good place bar the Elephant in the room of a striker. Get the right one and top 10 is definitely possible. I think we are 2/3 players from a very good team. Can we get them? Time will tell I guess but if they push the boat out a bit here I really think we can push on.

Now watch us get less points that Derby in 2008...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ll share the same optimism once we’ve addressed our pressing need for a striker.
I keep reading this we have always performed well with Maupay Connolly front two. The last league outing was impressive first time we have beaten Burnley in the PL. Shame Connolly was injured for a large chunk of the season. Of course we cover for injuries but that may never happen in the season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Amusingly, although we've let Murray go on loan we strictly have Andone and Gyökeres as back ups. Argue all you like that one is a bit mad and the other not ready, that's probably the relative status of most teams' 3rd and 4th choice strikers.
True enough; that would leave us a bit light though.

What worries me more, and has for a while, is the almost complete lack of goals - or even a threat of goals - from midfield. Gross scored a few in our forst PL season, but since then, zilch. In the second season there was some excuse - they were rarely anywhere near the goal - but last season, they just never seemed to even try a shot.

If the likes of Lallana, Mac Allister, Molumby, Biss and Alzate could all chip in with four or five (or even three) I think we'd do just about OK even with those limited striker options.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Thats the only reason I read it otherwise I wouldnt have read anything in 442

You’re too kind but James Brown has turned 442 , like his beloved Bielsa, into an impressive promotion winning machine over the last couple of years. Worth a look.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep, and good to see him writing and 4-4-2 taking the word of an educated BHA fan instead of just tipping us for relegation, as they have in the past.

I did it last year and they tipped us for 20th (someone else does the predictions !)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I keep reading this we have always performed well with Maupay Connolly front two. The last league outing was impressive first time we have beaten Burnley in the PL. Shame Connolly was injured for a large chunk of the season. Of course we cover for injuries but that may never happen in the season.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Connolly and I’m a big fan of Maupay, but 2 strikers isn’t enough, if something happens to either of them we’re goosed.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It’s the clubs open ambition/target so perfectly valid to discuss . I had a stab at it - I think I was clear that we’re not quite there yet. On the pitch at least.

No, fair enough, not having a dig at anyone. I suspect / hope we will one day.

But to this thread, it opens by the OP with “can we be top 10” linked to an article that has as its headline “ Brighton are building on survival in the Premier League - Jem Stone looks at the Seagulls' aims this campaign”.

To that end (this campaign) it’s laughable without more reinforcement - but I will be delighted if I’m eating humble pie with loads of toppings

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Posted on another thread but if you’ve a West Sussex library no FourFourTwo is one of their online magazines.

if you've got a west sussex library card download "press reader" app for android/apple (normal price £27pm) and with west sussex library card you get completely free access to just about every magazine and newspaper you'd ever want- both national and regional in this country and all overseas countries too.

https://www.pressreader.com/catalog/uk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think if results had gone our way a bit in the first half of last season things could have been very different, we wouldn’t have been massively far off top 10.

So many draws where we dominated and left points on the table.

I’m quietly optimistic for this coming season. But yes that is on the proviso we get 1 or 2 more forward options.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
if you've got a west sussex library card download "press reader" app for android/apple (normal price £27pm) and with west sussex library card you get completely free access to just about every magazine and newspaper you'd ever want- both national and regional in this country and all overseas countries too.

Cheers!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Same applies if you have a Brighton and Hove library card. To access items through the PressReader website or app, sign in, select Library or group, find your local library and enter your membership number.

Yoda

English & European
Don’t get me wrong, I like Connolly and I’m a big fan of Maupay, but 2 strikers isn’t enough, if something happens to either of them we’re goosed.

This. If we were to sign another striker that can at least score 10 in the League, it will also help push these two to fight and keep their place in the team.

Even if we started with just these two as the striking options, with no pressure on them from the bench to push them could be enough to cause a disaster of a season if they both mis-fire.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I did it last year and they tipped us for 20th (someone else does the predictions !)

"They aim to pick up English talent in the spring and autumn of their careers: see Tariq Lamptey (19) in January and Adam Lallana (32) in July. "

Spring signing in the winter and autumn signing in the summer then.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Thanks for the link. I thought that I may be able to save myself some money if I got a subscription. Unfortunately, the first two publications I searched for (The Economist and Private Eye) aren’t on the site. Oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here