Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Four stands one game

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Back in the day, I think it was 1978, if you went to a midweek reserves game v Charlton you were guaranteed a ticket for the Tottenham game a week or so later. Anyway, me and my mate turned up and started in the North. Given the almost complete absence of stewards or police we then went for a wander.

North West, followed by a sit down in the West, then down to South West and the South Stand. Finished up in the East and North East.

Would be interested to know if this has been done at other grounds.

As I side note the late great Harry Cripps was playing for Charlton. If you haven’t heard about it before google the Harry Cripps testimonial. Widely regarded as the most violent game in English history.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Back in the day, I think it was 1978, if you went to a midweek reserves game v Charlton you were guaranteed a ticket for the Tottenham game a week or so later. Anyway, me and my mate turned up and started in the North. Given the almost complete absence of stewards or police we then went for a wander.

North West, followed by a sit down in the West, then down to South West and the South Stand. Finished up in the East and North East.

As I side note the late great Harry Cripps was playing for Charlton. If you haven’t heard about it before google the Harry Cripps testimonial. Widely regarded as the most violent game in English history.
Sorry mate the ticket was for the League Cup match v Derby , not Spurs

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Not quite the same but I remember going to Wembley in 1985 for an England v Northern Ireland WC qualifier. We paid £4 and stood in the lower tier behind the goal, but the view wasn’t the best so all 5 of us one after the other climbed the wall at the back of the lower tier into the top tier where the view was loads better. Can you imagine doing something like that now without being caught on CCTV and banned from life for 18 months minimum?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back in the day when I was at Uni in Liverpool, I watched The Albion on several bleak northern Tuesday nights (and some Saturday afternoons too) at places like Tranmere, Southport, O;dham (easily the bleakest of the lot!), Preston and Shrewsbury, and generally you could pretty much wander where you wanted.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That Charlton match had iirc, an attendance of 17000, not too shabby for a reserve game.
Until the early 70's when my dad started taking me to the football, there weren't the fenced areas that became so commonplace when more and more aggro occured. One of my earliest memories at the Goldstone involved starting behind the North Stand goal and at halftime we walked round and into the chicken run and then stood behind the South Stand goal. Great times!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Harry Cripps, even put Ron Chopper Harris and Norman Bite your Legs Hunter in their places.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That Charlton match had iirc, an attendance of 17000, not too shabby for a reserve game.
Until the early 70's when my dad started taking me to the football, there weren't the fenced areas that became so commonplace when more and more aggro occured. One of my earliest memories at the Goldstone involved starting behind the North Stand goal and at halftime we walked round and into the chicken run and then stood behind the South Stand goal. Great times!
Was at the reserves game.

Midweek league wasn’t it?

Used to go a fair amount.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Certainly back in the fifties and sixties you could walk round any part of the terracing, so if you liked being behind the goal you could change ends at half time. Bit more problematic getting into the stands, although it wasn’t really a difficult climb into the old south stand.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One of the first games I ever went to that wasn’t Brighton was Watford v Grimsby probably in Third Division in 1971ish.
At half time about 20 kids came on the pitch and started having a kick around in the goal. As the teams came out for the second w, all the kids went back on the terraces and watched the rest of the game. Never seen it at a League ground before or since.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
One of the first games I ever went to that wasn’t Brighton was Watford v Grimsby probably in Third Division in 1971ish.
At half time about 20 kids came on the pitch and started having a kick around in the goal. As the teams came out for the second w, all the kids went back on the terraces and watched the rest of the game. Never seen it at a League ground before or since.
Ridiculous - you’ll never win anything with kids.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
In non league days at Burton you could have one half in each terrace at the Pirelli - one behind goal one down the side - was when capacity was 6k - then when they got into League 2 was not allowed and safety certificate then said capacity was nearer 7k

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Done it at Palmerston, Somerset Park (both allowed you to change end at half time). Also at Millenium Stadium when watching Wales vs Azerbaijan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here