Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] For those who have a mechanical watch O/T

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't recall who, but someone had their watch serviced @ Wheelers in Worthing ? was thinking of taking my Monaco over, and also has a clock of my Grandmothers which needs a tweek . . . . full chiming jobbie, that'll drive Mrs Zef nuts! :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On my second Citizen eco-drive solar-powered Skyhawk - no winding, no batteries, vast range of timezones and atomic timekeeping. Love 'em (although appreciate not really one for the enthusiast/collector)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We did this thread a year or two ago didn't we?.

We did!

I was more interested in how good the time keeping was on everyone’s mechanical watches.

The thread has gone off on a tangent and even Grandfather clocks have crowbarred their way into the thread with very little about time keeping of the watches mentioned, how very NSC :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We did!

I was more interested in how good the time keeping was on everyone’s mechanical watches.

The thread has gone off on a tangent and even Grandfather clocks have crowbarred their way into the thread with very little about time keeping of the watches mentioned, how very NSC :lolol:

I've got an 8 day Keinzle car clock don't you know :rolleyes:

that needs a service too, keeps good time for a day then has a rest :lolol:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Who needs a clock on a phone when you have a mechanical watch?

It's a tale as old as time itself :)

“But, Lord! to see how much of my old folly and childishnesse hangs upon me still that I cannot forbear carrying my watch in my hand in the coach all this afternoon, and seeing what o’clock it is one hundred times; and am apt to think with myself, how could I be so long without one; though I remember since, I had one, and found it a trouble, and resolved to carry one no more about me while I lived.” — Samuel Pepys, Saturday 13 May 1665

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've probably worn a watch pretty much every day of my life since I was about 10 years old. My first proper watch (aged 10) was a present when my Dad moved to Cyprus on an unaccompanied posting in 1975, it was an Oris with a blue face, still works, but needs a lot of attention to make it nice, in reality it's not really worth it. Since then I've been through all sorts including any number of digital watches, early swatches, a TAG which has packed up and again not worth getting fixed. Wife bought me the 1965 Omega Chronostop for my 40th (2005), and I wear it every day, only swapping it when I'm away on holiday for a waterproof watch, nothing special, a Seiko, Tissot or Sekonda or similar, I have a few.

Feel really weird if I forget to put my watch on in the morning, I've even been known to buy a cheap and cheerful watch from one of those stalls at Victoria station when I'd forgotten mine one morning, £10 and it keeps better time that the Omega!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Well this is reassuring :)

https://www.fluxmagazine.com/how-many-watches-man-really-need/

My 4 tick all the categories without being ridiculously expensive.
IMG_20201007_131845.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Someone here recommended Wheelers . . . I can report I've just got my arm tick tock back, with a 2 year manufacturers guarantee, looking like brand new.

They were very good indeed.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You can’t go wrong with an older Rolex or Omega as long as they have been looked after and serviced regularly. They could easily last 100 years ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here