Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football's Darkest Secret

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
That was an uncomfortable watch

Doesn't show Crewe Alex or Dario Gradi in a good light.

Amazing how Paul Stewart was on cocaine nearly everday at Liverpool and never got caught

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had to turn over. Not normally afraid of watching it, I’ve followed these victims stories on and off for years.

But this time I found it sickening to see the happy smiley face of Bennell, and the obviously deeply sad faces of the older boys he had ruined (moving on to the next batch of young kids).

Up there with the very worst crimes of humanity imho.

What can you say? Hopefully far fewer kids will be at risk from now on, with a target throughout sports and clubs of zero.

Bennell to rot.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I always used to get frustrated with PS, despite him being a top player always felt at the time he could have been even better.

Now I know why. That was a truly difficult watch. Heartbreaking. So many Lives ruined.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bloody hell, I still can't get my head round people doing things like that. Yes, I know it's true, and they did - but I still find difficulty in actually believing there are really people like that out there. Just unthinkable.

Scum of the earth.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I always believe hatred was an emotion you could control as it showed a lack of EQ, well after watching that I hate that man and the others and everyone who knew about it and did nothing. If you knew and did nothing then you are guilty

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am generally against the death penalty.

In Bennell's case, I could genuinely make an exception.

Hilltop

Banned
Mar 20, 2021
Extremely painful viewing. Unbelievable how many people just turned a blind eye to the abuse including one of the dads. Too many people were scared of having to question the rumours that the likes of Bennell were continually abusing kids under the respected reputation he was given by the parents, football clubs etc. Hopefully we can learn from this documentary and stop future abuse happening to innocent kids in all sectors. Dario Gradi doesn't come away from this documentary in good light. Too many people (even now) just want to believe 'Good news' instead of being braver and investigating what some would call conspiracy. Thoughts go out to all those abused.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would be interested in seeing this. Too bad iPlayer is unavailable outside UK, in the perfect world exceptions would be made for important topics.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Watched almost in disbelief. How the hell that bloke got away with it for all that time is unthinkable.
All those boys wanted to do was play the game they loved and they were subjected to that. Must have been absolutely horrific.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Very sad story. Just can’t quite put in to words how devastating and isolating it must have been for those lads. Gary Speed also coached by Benwell. Doesn’t bare to think about the mental scars it leave behind but pleased to see so many are finding their voices now. I met and photographed Andy when the story broke back in 16 / 17. Very interesting guy.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It will probably appear on the ABC at sometime I would have thought, if not on YouTube, we will have to wait till then to see I expect.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unfortunately power corrupts and this was a classic case of a person becoming untouchable due to their position very much reflecting what a blonde 70s DJ did.

Sadly these people were cold, calculating and knew exactly what they were doing when grooming.

It must be an awful burden for the players involved, when one could live with it no longer and told his Dad, his Dad just ignored him - imagine if that happened to you. With one player Bennell married his sister, I dread to think what that family must be like now.

It is a horrific watch and I feel so sorry for the players involved.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just finished watching on Iplayer this morning, powerful stuff, without being flippant it should be considered for a BAFTA but I think it would extremely naive for anyone to think everyone guilty has been prosecuted, and I sincerely hope that if necessary there will be a number of young men up and down the country in the next few days contacting the Police on the back of these programmes to make new allegations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not prepared to watch it.

Some people sneer at modern terms like safeguarding. Think again.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm still trying to work out how the jury at the first trial of former Southampton coach Bob Higgins failed to come to a guilty verdict allowing him to walk free initially.

It's a very powerful documentary that has left me with more of an awareness into the long-standing emotional and behavioural damage that sexual abuse creates.
The guilt that the victims expressed was the most shocking and saddest thing for me. The young lads did absolutely nothing wrong and were let down by the adults that were supposed to be looking after and developing them into successful young men.

The victims seem to be unable to unburden themselves from the massive guilt of doing nothing wrong.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'm still trying to work out how the jury at the first trial of former Southampton coach Bob Higgins failed to come to a guilty verdict allowing him to walk free initially.

It's a very powerful documentary that has left me with more of an awareness into the long-standing emotional and behavioural damage that sexual abuse creates.
The guilt that the victims expressed was the most shocking and saddest thing for me. The young lads did absolutely nothing wrong and were let down by the adults that were supposed to be looking after and developing them into successful young men.

The victims seem to be unable to unburden themselves from the massive guilt of doing nothing wrong.

I was equally as shocked to see that when he left Southampton after being confronted by Dave Merrington, he went to Peterborough to carry out more abuse and no one from Saints contacted the Posh to warn them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here