Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Footballers targeted by Racist Online Abuse

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
More of the same disgusting racial abuse targeted at footballers

Is getting online racism out of football an unachievable ideal without ID verification of social media account holders?

Last edited:

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
More of the same disgusting racial abuse targeted at footballers

Is getting online racism out of football an unachievable ideal?

Yep...targeting sports men and women because of their race is vile behaviour. Unfortunately getting rid of it is in fact an unachievable ideal as you suggest, because you can't change human nature. People who are brought up from the get go to look down on other races aren't going to suddenly change watching players getting down on one knee at football games and many of them probably can't read, so they wouldn't be capable of responding to campaigns that involve the written word. It's in them unfortunately. A mate of mine is Jewish and his wife is a black American. He says that the bending the knee thing and the anti-racism campaigns are all they've got and he's close to being right however, you can't change what people are brought up to think so it's not going to do any good. It's all a bit sad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep...targeting sports men and women because of their race is vile behaviour. Unfortunately getting rid of it is in fact an unachievable ideal as you suggest, because you can't change human nature. People who are brought up from the get go to look down on other races aren't going to suddenly change watching players getting down on one knee at football games and many of them probably can't read, so they wouldn't be capable of responding to campaigns that involve the written word. It's in them unfortunately. A mate of mine is Jewish and his wife is a black American. He says that the bending the knee thing and the anti-racism campaigns are all they've got and he's close to being right however, you can't change what people are brought up to think so it's not going to do any good. It's all a bit sad.
I know a West Ham fan who was at a West Ham v Spurs game five or so years ago and said Son was repeatedly targeted with an anti Korean chant from the stands during the game. I won't repeat it but you can imagine what it was. If we've moved on from that to a few randoms on Twitter targeting him then at least we're heading in the right direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here