Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football disorder reaches eight-year high...

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Given arrests are up 59% surely you’d see an increase of drugs found on those 59%?

Has that been mentioned ? FWIW I do think it is more common but not as much as people are saying.

People are quick to baselessly accuse every dickhead at away games of being on coke which feels like a lazy stereotype like the ones perpetuated by the media. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'd put money on it not being as prevalent as people on here suggest. Some people just can't take their booze and/or are dickheads.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ask the Albion supporter whacked on the back of his head.

OK, I was a little flippant.

What I was meaning to point out was the possible difference in what is perceived as football disorder (violence against both property and people, ‘riots’, ‘firms’) and the modern reality of mostly individual loons running on the pitch, offensive chants and use of flares. Missiles of course fall under the violence tag, but the rest rarely do so.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also quite funny to see many talking about the state of football etc - surely what is happening now is nowhere near the 70s / 80s of football ?

I think there’s an element of the older generation moaning about ‘those pesky kids’

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I just wonder how away supporters would be able to pay for tickets, travel, food, alcohol and cocaine. There might be a very small minority, but that's all it is. Very small.

The incident that shocked me most was that Leicester twàt punching the Nott'm Forest players after they went 3-0 up after half an hour in the FA Cup. They're athletes - a bit like slapping Nick Kygrios in the street. Not a very bright idea.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OK, I was a little flippant.

What I was meaning to point out was the possible difference in what is perceived as football disorder (violence against both property and people, ‘riots’, ‘firms’) and the modern reality of mostly individual loons running on the pitch, offensive chants and use of flares. Missiles of course fall under the violence tag, but the rest rarely do so.

Your view is the antithesis of that held by Barber/Hebberd.

Anyone breaking any club rule of law, to any degree, to be hunted down.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I personally think this is a big part of the problem. At times it's incredibly obvious people are taking it at games, especially away games.
This isn’t a new thing I remember getting a private bus to Sheffield Wednesday about 20 years ago and practically everyone was on the gear.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Based on what evidence?

My own experience of being crammed on trains in close proximity with these loons. There is quite a distinct difference between someone who is pissed up, and someone who is on "substances", I think most people can spot that easily enough. It has, without a doubt, become more and more prevalent over the last few years.

I'm always a bit suspect of the increasing queues for the single cubicle in the WSU toilets these days. A bloke with his kid fair enough. But the adult baseball cap brigade ? Mmmkay.

Snort has become far more routine in football grounds these days. Are you actually going to dispute that ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My own experience of being crammed on trains in close proximity with these loons. There is quite a distinct difference between someone who is pissed up, and someone who is on "substances", I think most people can spot that easily enough. It has, without a doubt, become more and more prevalent over the last few years.

I'm always a bit suspect of the increasing queues for the single cubicle in the WSU toilets these days. A bloke with his kid fair enough. But the adult baseball cap brigade ? Mmmkay.

Snort has become far more routine in football grounds these days. Are you actually going to dispute that ?

And boxing, either that or there was a lot of cottaging at White Hart Lane at the first AJ vs Usyk fight?

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012

Yep, you've got zero evidence apart from a hunch.

I tell you what, lets get Paul on the phone and ban anyone under the age of 30 who appears to be having too much fun. That should sort this out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I tell you what, lets get Paul on the phone and ban anyone under the age of 30 who appears to be having too much fun. That should sort this out.

Evidence ? What, you're expecting to see some blood test results on here or something ? Look, I'm long enough in the tooth to recognise when someone has been on the marching powder, its not exactly DIFFICULT, it is. You don't need to be Columbo.

And if you think whats being proposed here is stopping people "having too much fun", then there's not much point continuing the conversation tbh as you're going off on some weird tangents.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

What complete nonsense, honestly. 'Zero evidence!'

Doing gear is absolutely rife amongst under 30's at football, same as it is anywhere else in this country at the moment to be honest. It's way, way more prevalent than it used to be.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
it actually isn't. did my dissertation on this many years ago, and there's actually very little to suggest a link between factors such as unemployment and other forms of societal decline and football hooliganism.

of course, really it's a combination of many many factors, but there's been no substantial link established. generally hooliganism seems to come from a tribal desire to belong and to these people, representing one's football team and causing disorder is a group activity which generates that sense of belonging. and being off their faces on booze and marching powder probably doesn't help either

I agree with that, but I also think that the desire to belong is stronger when you have less personal control of your life, i.e. fewer opportunities to get on in life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here