Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Flush Overflow Help

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Hi

Suggestions please (including all the usual nonsense as goes with the territory)
The upstairs toilet cistern keeps on filling and then constantly overflowing through the round pipe at the top of the image. This is just adding to my water bill, not doing any damage
I have tried adjusting the red screw at the bottom of the image. Crucially even if I pull this right up by hand the water is still filling. If I push it down the water fills much faster (as expected)

It looks to me like I new to replace the float and valve mechanism at the bottom of the picture. Is there anything I have missed, or should try, before calling out a plumber?
Thanks

PXL_20220425_084906215.jpg

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I am not a plumber, but I've got a similar problem with our downstairs toilet.

Can you find a screw valve on the water intake - in mine, it's a brass pipe at the back of the toilet against the wall.

If so, turn it a quarter turn to the left to stop the water intake. Wait a couple of seconds, and then turn it back to the right a quarter turn. That should solve it until you flush again.

It's just a temporary fix of course. You'll need to fix it permanently with a plumber.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
replace the whole thing, they're cheap plastic and don't last long. 5*minute job innit

* probably about half an hour actually.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sounds like the float valve needs replacing

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here