Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Flower of Scotland.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I cant stand Jerusalem. Reminds me of egg chasing and men in boat shoes with jumpers over their shoulders;
And the WI, but also the Labour Party. It's a song to be interpreted in a hundred different ways by people who are in almost total disagreement with each other. Asks loads of questions that nobody has satisfactory answers to. Perfect for England.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Best national anthem imo.
They just need to work on what happens in the following couple of hours.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
My money would be on this being played at the beginning of every school day if the toad-faced homunculous Farage ever came to power

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I spent a lot of time in Scotland in the 70s/ early 80s and FOS was sung every where. Most boozy nights in various pubs in Scotland would end with a bad rendition of it sung by pissed up Jocks.

I spent much of almost 8 years In Scotland from 87, including visiting many football stadia, pubs, clubs and Stirling Uni campus, also hogmanays. Travelled all over. Never heard it once.

But from 90 Murrayfield crowds sang it pre match, watching from TV.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I hate to say it, but, why don’t we have a national anthem like Flower of Scotland.

It’s inclusive, every Jock can sing it, and it sounds bloody awesome.

I make no bones, I hate our anthem, I never sing it, I would love an anthem I could sing and be proud to sing.
Tedious dirge

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I spent much of almost 8 years In Scotland from 87, including visiting many football stadia, pubs, clubs and Stirling Uni campus, also hogmanays. Travelled all over. Never heard it once.

I’m surprised at that, it was pretty much ubiquitous in a lot of the boozers I used.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Jerusalem is certainly an improvement on GSTK, but, it doesn’t exactly stir the blood and get the juices flowing, does it.

When you think that Flower of Scotland was only written in the 60s it is everything you’d want in an anthem.

I used to drink in the Wee Club in Inverkething on a Sunday lunchtime back in the 70s and FOS was always sung at kicking out time.
What you do in your private members club is up to you.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

My Dad among others I know went to Murrayfield in '90 for that grand slam decider and it was sung as the national anthem, but apparently lots of Scots had sheets of paper or copies of that Saturday's Daily Record held aloft that had the words in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here