Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Flag hinges and upvc door frames

Screenshot_20230627-140915.png

I'm thinking of buying and fitting a second-hand unit myself, and thought that the trickiest part would be getting it precisely square. All the ads I've looked at have had the door intact within the frame, so I was wondering whether I would have to dismantle this particular frame to fit it in. I can't see how there is otherwise going to be enough room either horizontally or vertically to lift the door over the hinges, although like most amateurs I'm probably missing something!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
They look like “rising butt”/gravity hinges to me, in which case you should be able to drop the door half of the hinge onto the frame half of the hinge by holding the door about 90 degrees against (and outside of) the frame. The door should then “drop” onto the hinge and close into the gap by sliding down the diagonal faces of the two halves of the hinge.
I may be talking complete bollocks and am not in any way an expert. Do please bear that in mind.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
View attachment 162792

I'm thinking of buying and fitting a second-hand unit myself, and thought that the trickiest part would be getting it precisely square. All the ads I've looked at have had the door intact within the frame, so I was wondering whether I would have to dismantle this particular frame to fit it in. I can't see how there is otherwise going to be enough room either horizontally or vertically to lift the door over the hinges, although like most amateurs I'm probably missing something!
Should just be able to lift it over with door perpendicular to frame.
If not just unscrew hinge from door, fit hinges together then offer up and screw hinge back to door.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

RISING & FALLING BUTT HINGES​

Rising & Falling butt hinges are special types of lift off hinges which as their name suggests cause the door to, self close (in the case of rising butts) and open (in the case of falling butts).
These hinges are typically used for WC’s and WC cubicles where for aesthetics for a bank of doors it may be deemed desirable to have all the doors closed when unattended (rising butts) OR whereby it’s deirable for the doors to self open (falling butts) so potential users can see that the cubicle is unattended.
In addition to the above standard rising/falling options there is also the H304 variant which causes the door to come to rest at 45 degrees. This option has the obvious benefits of both the above reasons.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

RISING & FALLING BUTT HINGES​

Rising & Falling butt hinges are special types of lift off hinges which as their name suggests cause the door to, self close (in the case of rising butts) and open (in the case of falling butts).
These hinges are typically used for WC’s and WC cubicles where for aesthetics for a bank of doors it may be deemed desirable to have all the doors closed when unattended (rising butts) OR whereby it’s deirable for the doors to self open (falling butts) so potential users can see that the cubicle is unattended.
In addition to the above standard rising/falling options there is also the H304 variant which causes the door to come to rest at 45 degrees. This option has the obvious benefits of both the above reasons.
This must be the most boring paragraph containing the words 'Rising & Falling Butt' that anyone's ever written.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
View attachment 162792

Generally you cant dismantle a UPVC frame, they are welded at the corners. The door half of the hinge with pins, will drop into the holes on the frame half of the hinge, with the door in an open position. If the frame will fit in the opening you have it will be all good, ideally the frame will be 10mm smaller than your opening, side to side and top to bottom, if it is any tighter than that you might have a job getting it in plumb.
There is no sill in the picture, you may have one existing I guess, but if not you can buy, will add 30-35mm to the overall height.
You will want packers to slip between the frame and the opening just next to where you will put the fixings, and a can of expanding foam to fill in the gap, some trim to finish it, and silicone.
I am sure there will be some you tube videos on fitting, watch a few and then decide if it is something you can do.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Fit the frame plumb, eye it through and leave the frame bowed in the middle to bring in when door is shut….
Then realise you don’t know what the f*** your doing and get an expert in.
You forgot the step of right royally f***ing it up and getting it stuck in your doorway. This way you need to pay emergency rates and pay more for the expert to fix your f*** ups.

If careful you can get this up to three or four times the price you would have paid for a new door fully installed.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here