Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First Premier League Manager to be sacked …

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If GPott gets the boot this week, does it still count?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know the race is over, but there's an article in what I assume is the local paper up newcastle way https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo.../newcastle-united-steve-bruce-ashley-21747770

I think it can be read one of two ways:

"Gonna be discussions over the international break, hopefully they can convince Bruce to walk away" - giving the fans who want him gone something to cling to.

or

"Don't get your hopes up. He's not walking, and Ashley won't pay to sack him"

Skimming the trending tweets, it seems a lot of Newcastle fans are taking it as the former, urging him to go, etc.

Though it lists Chris Wilder, Eddie Howe and Frank Lampard as potential replacements. I don't know that any of them would excite me, and aren't Eddie and Frank too southern for Newcastle?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
That's a bit harsh of Watford to sack him (I know they have form) 7 points from 7 games is not a bad return for a promoted side unlike Norwich.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
That's a bit harsh of Watford to sack him (I know they have form) 7 points from 7 games is not a bad return for a promoted side unlike Norwich.

Thrilled Norwich got a point as means Farke unlikely to get silver medal in time for new manager bounce against us. Cant think Norwich board will be as patient as last time though - Potter could apply the coup de grace....

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Really good Spurs won as they are likeliest to come knocking for GP this season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My initial reaction to the sacking was that Xisco was unlucky.

My initial reaction to hearing about Ranieri being in advanced talks is that it has disaster written all over it.

However, since getting the chop from Fulham Ranieri did OK at Roma and he left Sampdoria in better shape than when he joined them. I think Pozzo will want Ranieri to do the same job he did at Sampdoria.

The Fulham job was a mess, but in fairness to Ranieri he had a Championship-standard squad playing in the Prem and nobody could have kept that side up. I think Watford have an experienced defence and some some good players in Sarr, Dennis and Sissoko, so I think Ranieri has the tools to keep them up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The model that Watford follow is a weird one. On the face of, just plain old harsh with new appointments expected to know that they're out on their arse in double quick time as soon as anything goes wrong. But actually I think it's worse than harsh because I think they will hit a ceiling soon (if they haven't already done so) where the best managers simply won't bother applying there. I'm actually quite surprised that Ranieri seems a done deal - he doesn't need the money, so why on earth go there? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here