Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Favourite football code (excluding association)

Favourite other football code

• Total voters

albionite

May 20, 2009
Gone for Aussie rules great game when you know what is going on.
Like union but only watch international.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Easy one for me to answer: I actually prefer rugby union to (association) football so it's no-brainer.

I quite like rugby league, I used to watch it regularly when I was in Bradford, but it's a bit crash bang. I'm completely bemused by NFL, which seems to be the dullest team sport ever invented and I once went to the all-Ireland gaelic semi at Croke Park, without really knowing what was going on.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
No, you're right about UK NFL fans. They're an odd mix of car bores (the type made famous by Harry Enfield) and incels that like to wear ill-fitting black t-shirts.
Funny you should say that, as one of the proper anoraks was ex-Met police, but at the time ran an IT infrastructure team. As well as NFL, he LOVED classic cars :lolol:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No, you're right about UK NFL fans. They're an odd mix of car bores (the type made famous by Harry Enfield) and incels that like to wear ill-fitting black t-shirts.
Not sure where you are getting that from. Love American Football both NFL and College varieties. A completely engrossing game which thankfully I can an enjoy regardless of who is playing (as Brogan pointed out) which when your own team is completely sh*t is a blessing.

HTTC and Go Ducks!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
- Gridiron. But I hate cars and dont wear ill fitting black t-shirts. Used to play for Brighton B52s, and my son now plays / coaches for Brighton Uni Panthers. Anyone thinking its a crap sport for wimps / bores can come along any Sunday and try it for themselves.

- Aussie Rules. Great sport that I've recently got back into after years of not watching since the Ch4 days.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Probably union but I need a team to support so it's only really internationals.

Then the NFL because I love playing a bit of fantasy football.

League third, I've just never been able to get into it.

Not seen enough of the others to have an opinion.

All a long, long way behind proper football which is undeniably the worlds greatest game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Calcio Storico contested in Florence.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I’ve seen worse threads in international breaks TBF.

The answer for me is NFL. I’ve been in love with it since it was on Channel 4 on Saturday mornings. My team, the Bears have been terrible for years but in my first season they had a squad full of characters; Jim McMahon, Walter Payton and one called The Fridge. I like how it’s a fairly simple game but with very nuanced tactics. I just wish it wasn’t called football, when the only time you kick it is when you’ve failed.

AFL is also great fun. Regularly watched the Swannies at the SCG when I lived in Sydney.

I have a love / hate relationship with Union. At its best it’s probably the most brutal sport on the planet (see Ireland v South Africa). At worst it really is just posh fat blokes sticking their heads up each other’s backsides. I’d rather be in a pub full of Millwall’s firm than a University rugby club. And I hate how it’s held up as a better example to football. The rules are nebulous and inconsistent and red cards can apparently be changed three times by committee.

League is the most boring sport on earth. I’d rather sit through a whole day of women’s golf than ten minutes of League.
William Perry was "the refrigerator", not the fridge. They were also my fave team (plastic glory hunter). You omitted to mention Mike Singletary, "the samurai".

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Have only seen 2 of the other codes live, NFL at Wembley when it first came over here in the late 80's, early 90's. I got bored. Have watched a lot of Union live, mainly following Haywards Heath as a mate of mine was playing for them at the time. When you are standing on the touchline watching any sport makes it much better so Union for me, but the one I would most like to watch live is Gaelic and would be the one I would have played in my youth given half the chance as it appears to be suitably bonkers.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
100% mental.
Some videos on YouTube if you've never seen it.
I went to a meeting night for players and supporters in Santa Croce (azzuri) and they were eating drinking and singing. I bought a shirt for 5 euros and they brought us out two bottles of red as well. The guy then looked down at me and then said “you one of us now”
I’m 6ft 4in ….I follow events every June. There are some brilliants pieces on the sport if you look.Originally a keep fit game for Roman Gladiators but later on adopted by Firenze.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I went to a meeting night for players and supporters in Santa Croce (azzuri) and they were eating drinking and singing. I bought a shirt for 5 euros and they brought us out two bottles of red as well. The guy then looked down at me and then said “you one of us now”
I’m 6ft 4in ….I follow events every June. There are some brilliants pieces on the sport if you look.Originally a keep fit game for Roman Gladiators but later on adopted by Firenze.

:bowdown:
Ive never seen it live but just stumbled across it down one of my youtube wormholes. Ive got to see it before I croak it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The pageantry before hand is superb

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
- Gridiron. But I hate cars and dont wear ill fitting black t-shirts. Used to play for Brighton B52s, and my son now plays / coaches for Brighton Uni Panthers. Anyone thinking its a crap sport for wimps / bores can come along any Sunday and try it for themselves.

- Aussie Rules. Great sport that I've recently got back into after years of not watching since the Ch4 days.
My little sister is the Head Coach.

To answer the question, for me it’s NFL, absolutely love it.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Gaelic is my favourite (although I actually prefer Hurling)

Really wish it had a better presence on British TV aside from a few games featuring Northern Irish teams on BBC

Have recently embraced AFL

Would prefer American Football if it wasn't for a lot of the British fans of it

I am fine with both codes of rugby, with a leaning towards League partly because a lot of the big fans of Union that I've known have been absolute arseholes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here