Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Faversham open gardens and public liability insurance question

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One thing of great beauty is the annual one-day Faversham Open Gardens where people allow strangers to visit and see 30 or so gardens. Participants provide the organizer with a bit of info and a booklet with a map showing the location of the gardens is produced. The organizers charge a fiver for the booklet. All the profits go to 'The Faversham Society', a registered charity (https://favershamsociety.org/).

This year the organizers have been told (by someone - presumably the council) that each householder will need public liability insurance. This means most of us won't be opening our gardens any more, and the whole thing is likely to die.

So....if I have a couple of mates round to dinner, or to sit on my patio, do I need public liability insurance, or would this be the case only if a third party charges them for a booklet, or if they are not really mates but some people I met today down the pub, or someone I have never met before and have invited here via Tinder/Grindr?

This smells like bullshit to me. Anyone know the laws on this?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
One thing of great beauty is the annual one-day Faversham Open Gardens where people allow strangers to visit and see 30 or so gardens. Participants provide the organizer with a bit of info and a booklet with a map showing the location of the gardens is produced. The organizers charge a fiver for the booklet. All the profits go to 'The Faversham Society', a registered charity (https://favershamsociety.org/).

This year the organizers have been told (by someone - presumably the council) that each householder will need public liability insurance. This means most of us won't be opening our gardens any more, and the whole thing is likely to die.

So....if I have a couple of mates round to dinner, or to sit on my patio, do I need public liability insurance, or would this be the case only if a third party charges them for a booklet, or if they are not really mates but some people I met today down the pub, or someone I have never met before and have invited here via Tinder/Grindr?

I guess it depends upon any of your "mates" being likely to sue you if they fall over drunk and hurt themselves on your gnomes or whatever other "hazards" you may have in your garden.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
As Guinness Boy has stated, your house insurance should cover you if your "mates" sue you for damages if they are injured through your negligence (and they would have to prove you were negligent).
However, your house insurance probably wouldn't cover you if you open your garden to all and sundry and charged for admission .

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I believe that you (might) need property owner liability insurance. As others have stated, public liability insurance is only available to a business. I'm not sure what the consequences are if your home is registered / insure as a workplace, e.g. you work from home a few days per week, as many seem to do nowadays.

The OpenGardens link above gives sensible advice - see also https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/business-insurance/pl-po-comparison

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I would have thought that the first questions that need to be asked are:
1. Who has told the organizers that PL cover is required.
2. What PL Limit of Indemnity is suggested or required as a minimum
3. Are any terms and conditions stipulated by who ever says everyone needs it.

No point doing anything, if it's someone down the pub, or writing on a forum.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I believe that you (might) need property owner liability insurance. As others have stated, public liability insurance is only available to a business. I'm not sure what the consequences are if your home is registered / insure as a workplace, e.g. you work from home a few days per week, as many seem to do nowadays.

The OpenGardens link above gives sensible advice - see also https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/business-insurance/pl-po-comparison
It always amazes me that everyone seems to know about insurance regardless of their knowledge. Perhaps you can explain why public liability insurance isn't available to me.

If I cycle and I cycle into someone and injury them or their property, who I not need public liability insurance to pick any claim they make against me, or am I barred from getting this cover as I'm not a business and therefore have to meet any claim against me out of my own resources.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
One thing of great beauty is the annual one-day Faversh.

am Open Gardens where people allow strangers to visit and see 30 or so gardens. Participants provide the organizer with a bit of info and a booklet with a map showing the location of the gardens is produced. The organizers charge a fiver for the booklet. All the profits go to 'The Faversham Society', a registered charity (https://favershamsociety.org/).

Yes, yes you do.

Or possibly no, no you don't

Disclaimer - I have no idea.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As Guinness Boy has stated, your house insurance should cover you if your "mates" sue you for damages if they are injured through your negligence (and they would have to prove you were negligent).
However, your house insurance probably wouldn't cover you if you open your garden to all and sundry and charged for admission .
Cheers. I'm not charging - all money goes to a registered charity...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, yes you do.

Or possibly no, no you don't

Disclaimer - I have no idea.
That's the last time I invite anyone round for a beer on the patio, then :confused:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would have thought that the first questions that need to be asked are:
1. Who has told the organizers that PL cover is required.
2. What PL Limit of Indemnity is suggested or required as a minimum
3. Are any terms and conditions stipulated by who ever says everyone needs it.

No point doing anything, if it's someone down the pub, or writing on a forum.
1. I don't know.

Mrs T has told them 'we are not doing it' now. It al seems a bit daft.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there's no law on liabilty, its a civil matter should anyone be injured. if your mates were aresholes and after tripping on a gnome sued, you'd be grateful for some insurance. your home insurance will cover it (at least mine always have), to some absurd level, which indicates how unlikely it is to be called upon.

i recall this came up for jubilee celebrations councils telling residents they needed insurance for street parties, before someone in government told them to knock it off and stop being killjoys. its probably done so the council is ensuring they aren't considered liable, they dont need to do any H&S assessments and what not.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
there's no law on liabilty, its a civil matter should anyone be injured. if your mates were aresholes and after tripping on a gnome sued, you'd be grateful for some insurance. your home insurance will cover it (at least mine always have), to some absurd level, which indicates how unlikely it is to be called upon.

i recall this came up for jubilee celebrations councils telling residents they needed insurance for street parties, before someone in government told them to knock it off and stop being killjoys. its probably done so the council is ensuring they aren't considered liable, they dont need to do any H&S assessments and what not.
Cheers. Our council are hopeless. Sadly it is too late for Open Gardens now as people are knee-jerk refusing to open rather than pour over the T&C of their home insurance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here