Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[far too detailed] Charlton Pub Guide

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Presumably people have already made their plans, but if not here's a rundown on some boozing options at tomorrow's game.

THE STADIUM
The away end isn't dry unlike some places (Orient, Villa, etc). It might as well be though as it's the usual fantastic football choice of, er, Fosters or John Smiths. Think they're £3.70 a pint now, but I don't use the concourse bars so I may be a few pence out. We have been experimenting with selling real ale in recent times, but it hasn't been every match and I'm not sure if it covers the away end. It's unlikely but if it is available, it'll be a keg of Courage Best (the only ale we're allowed) propped up on shelving somewhere in the kiosk. NB The staff won't have the faintest idea what it is and it will take ages to get them to serve one.
There's also our 'equivalent' of Dicks Bar, BARTRAMS, which can be accessed from the West Stand car park. It's a sports bar and doesn't do real ale, has Murphys though, the beer is reasonable but the spirits are ridiculous (£3.30 for a shot of Jager, ffs). It's probably home only, but those not in colours should be able to get past the goon on the door.

CHARLTON
If there is anywhere in London worse for pubs than Charlton, I have yet to encounter it. I warned Albion fans off drinking in Charlton last time. A couple headed straight there before the game, then texted to say "you were right, it's shit, getting train back to LB for pre-game drink". Should you be dead set on it, the away pub is THE ANTIGALLICAN, the best thing about it is its name (not sure you could get away with calling a pub the French Hater these days). It's across the road to the left of the train station, 4-5 mins walk from the away turnstiles. A cavernous sports bar with a square island bar in the middle, big screen, sticky floor, fruit machines and toilets you couldn't swing a cat in if you could find a cat that would put up with the smell. All very West Street, but will be 80%+ away fans and is the place for pre-game chant singing should that be your thing.
On Charlton Church Lane (turn right out of the train station, walk for a couple of mins) you'll find the LIBERAL CLUB and CONSERVATIVE CLUB almost next door to each other. The former is far more away fan friendly than the latter, although you have to pay an entry charge (only a quid or two) and it's technically home fans only after the game. It's a big school hall type of affair, but the beer is slightly cheaper than elsewhere.
Continue up Charlton Church Lane for 6-7 mins and you get to Charlton village, which is nowhere near as nice as the "village" suffix might suggest. The two pubs here, THE BUGLE and THE WHITE SWAN, were home only in our Premier League days (had blokes on the door only letting in people with Charlton season tickets), but I imagine they are far less fussy these days. Bit of a hike from the ground though.
Back down the hill, THE ROYAL OAK is the closest pub to the ground but at furthest point from the away terraces and has a bit of a 'home fans only' air about it. Friendlier is the ROSE OF DENMARK, this is on the Woolwich Road about 6 mins walk from the train station, head left then left at the crossroads, only ale is London Pride but good service and a nice mix of home and away fans before games (though it's home only afterwards).
By far the best pub in Charlton – and bear in mind this isn't saying much – is THE ANCHOR & HOPE. This is on the river, but a very different kettle of fish to Greenwich's riverside pubs, as it's set amongst an industrial estate. Turn left out of the train station and walk in that direction for 7-8 minutes until you find yourself at the Thames – the pub is directly to your left. Has riverside outdoor seating where you can watch the planes take off from City Airport, does food but no real ale.

LONDON BRIDGE
You know the score here anyway. Borough Market – which trickier to get to from the station at present with all the Shard-building going on – has a whole bunch of pubs. THE MARKET PORTER for the real ale aficionados, tiny portakabin THE RAKE for the American ale enthusiasts (and those who like paying £5 for a packet of crisps), BREW WHARF for wine snobs, THE WHEATSHEAF (now in a new location) for a more normal pub vibe. Or head towards the river for various other pubs, mostly of a Nicholson's style variety (eg THE MUDLARK, which is less busy than most places).
Elsewhere, heading South down Southwark High Road (and side streets on the left), there are loads of pubs including gastro-y THE BUNCH OF GRAPES, the opportunity to chat up tourists of every nation in THE GEORGE INN, a BELUSHI'S even skankier than the one in Brighton, and if you walk far enough (about 10 mins from the station), London's only Harvey's tied house, THE ROYAL OAK.
With only a few London clubs at home (and Millwall away) you'd think the pubs at London Bridge would be less rammed than usual, but sadly I fear Borough Market Christmas shoppers will probably make up the shortfall.

TRAIN ROUTE VIA GREENWICH
This is the most popular of the two train routes to Charlton, as it's more regular (every 10 mins) and incorporates by far the best place to drink pre a Valley game, Greenwich.

DEPTFORD: The arse end of Greenwich. Don't think there's much here. There used to be a lesbian S&M bar under the railway bridge, but I don't think that's there any more. THE DOG & BELL gets good write-ups and does Partridge Piss (aka Dark Star Hophead), but is quite a hike from the station.

GREENWICH: The best place to drink by far, although many away fans arranging to meet here never get further than the BELUSHI'S in front of the train station. For shame. Heading left from the train station, you pass a couple of shit pubs before hitting Naval Greenwich, where the large GIPSY MOTH by the Cutty Sark is a popular if predictable and expensive choice, but there's other pubs around such as the (now gastro-ified) COACH & HORSES in Greenwich Market itself. The Royal Naval College now includes near its entrance a brewpub THE OLD BREWERY run by local craft brewers Meantime, it's obviously a bit touristy given the location and some of their beer is super-expensive. Continue through the Naval College grounds and you'll come out by popular olde worlde riverside pub THE TRAFALGAR, which does a few good ales but is mostly just a restaurant for witless tourists. Continuing along the river, THE YACHT, STAR & GARTER, PELTON ARMS and CUTTY SARK TAVERN are all worth a try. Once you've come this far, you're far closer to Maze Hill station than Greenwich, so that's the best bet for your train on to Charlton.

[The best bet on turning left out of Greenwich station is actually not to head into the tourist centre at all, but to hang a right by the University of Plymouth/Sunderland – yes, that's what the signs on the building with the clock tower say – onto Royal Hill. A couple of minutes up the road, two nice pubs sit next to each other. THE RICHARD 1ST is a traditional Young's pub. THE GREENWICH UNION is owned by the Meantime brewery, who until a recent move to Deptford brewed all their beers a stone's throw from the Valley, offering a plethora of Meantime keg beers/lagers, plus one cask ale of their own and one guest – usually Partridge Piss or Lewes Dishwater (Harvey's Best). Continue up the hill, take the second right and walk for a couple of mins and you'll find a lovely Shepherd Neame pub THE ASHBURNHAM ARMS, and you're now only about 3 mins from Greenwich station. All three of these pubs have decent beer gardens, the Ashburnham's is huge.]

MAZE HILL: See Greenwich section for pubs not far from the station. The two nearest ones however are, respectively, a place for old men to cry into their pints and a Crystal Palace pub. I won't dignify either by naming them.

WESTCOMBE PARK: Strangely located train station, seems to only serve the Blackwall Tunnel approach road. The Rose of Denmark (see Charlton section) is halfway between here and Charlton, so getting off here may be a good option if that's where you're heading. A little before the Rose on the Woolwich Road is THE PICKWICK, complete with welcoming whitewashed out windows. It's usually hard to tell if it's open or not. Either way, unless you are looking to score drugs, swerve it.

TRAIN ROUTE VIA LEWISHAM

LEWISHAM: Lewisham High Road is home to Europe's biggest police station for good reason.

BLACKHEATH: Somewhat incongruous, this genteel place feels out of place in South East London, its village duck pond lending it a bit of a Hampstead air. The pubs here are nothing special, but THE RAILWAY (by the station, surprisingly) and Hogshead pub THE HARE & BILLET by the heath are amongst the better ones.

JUBILEE LINE TO NORTH GREENWICH

NORTH GREENWICH: As an alternative to the train, you can get the tube to the O2 Arena. Come left out of the station, walk past some fountains and through a small park and you'll come to THE PILOT. This is a great Fullers pub, has Sky, does decent food, has a nice multi-level beer garden, and attracts a more discerning pre-match crowd (former C4/BBC/ITV boss and ex-CAFC director Michael Grade drinks here before home games). Nearest bus stop is a couple of minutes walk south, and due to the dedicated bus lanes it's a swift 7-8 minute journey past various superstores to be deposited near Charlton train station (not all buses go that way, so check with the driver).

Hope this overlong guide is of some use to someone. Just don't be winning 4-0 again, yeah?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thank you fataddick, a very helpful post. You'll find most Seagulls fans on here go out of their way to help each other in recommending pubs to meet in, and helpful hints on travel etc.:thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks and trust me, there is no way we will win 4-0

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Great detail, going to be heading for London bridge myself I think we get in at 12.30

Can't see us winning it it will be 1-1, Barnes will score and buy himself another week

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Presumably people have already made their plans, but if not here's a rundown on some boozing options at tomorrow's game.
DEPTFORD: The arse end of Greenwich. Don't think there's much here. There used to be a lesbian S&M bar under the railway bridge, but I don't think that's there any more. THE DOG & BELL gets good write-ups and does Partridge Piss (aka Dark Star Hophead), but is quite a hike from the station.

What about The Royal Albert, The Birds Nest and The Big Red? All much better than the Dog & Bell... Not to mention all the pubs towards New X? Poor effort!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5358285 said:
What about The Royal Albert, The Birds Nest and The Big Red? All much better than the Dog & Bell... Not to mention all the pubs towards New X? Poor effort!

Well, are they any good then? Is it worth stopping off in Deptford/New X instead of Greenwich?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5358285 said:

Please do a paragraph on Deptford pubs then. I have never had cause to go to any. The Dog & Bell is the one that's recommended by most of the real ale sites, hence why I mentioned it and the fact that it "gets good write-ups".

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Please do a paragraph on Deptford pubs then. I have never had cause to go to any. The Dog & Bell is the one that's recommended by most of the real ale sites, hence why I mentioned it and the fact that it "gets good write-ups".

You'll now note that the 2nd part of my first post in reply was tongue-in-cheek! :wink:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The dog and bell was camra se london pub of the year a few a few years
back I believe. It's surroundings are at odds with its ambiance which is superb.

Difficult to find place.

I didn't win a prize in their pickle competition. I was robbed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here