Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fancy Flying on a Boeing 737?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't believe no one has posted about this!

Good friend of mine is a Tui Pilot (and STH) who shared with me, over a beer, what a crap aircraft the 737 Max 9 is. Built 'down to a price' was how he put it.

Seeing as he was a senior pilot (ex RAF flying Nimrods) and also an instructor on 737's for Tui I took his word for it. I think 2 had crashed already due to faulty software.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Plane was only 2 months old. It’s basically a 1970s plane design with a few facelifts. Problem appears to be an exit door should be there, but an airline can select not to have it so they kind of cover over the hole.

Was also an incident a few weeks back with missing bolts from the same model planes rudders -

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Plane was only 2 months old. It’s basically a 1970s plane design with a few facelifts. Problem appears to be an exit door should be there, but an airline can select not to have it so they kind of cover over the hole.
that makes it sound like the airline just patches over the door, rather than order a different specification from Boeing.

Good friend of mine is a Tui Pilot (and STH) who shared with me, over a beer, what a crap aircraft the 737 Max 9 is. Built 'down to a price' was how he put it.

Seeing as he was a senior pilot (ex RAF flying Nimrods) and also an instructor on 737's for Tui I took his word for it. I think 2 had crashed already due to faulty software.
Exactly what I was saying on the drive up to Stoke today. I have read numerous articles saying similar AND Boeing have done this to maximise profits because from someone here who works in Aviation, Airbus are the new big boys in the market and their aircraft are world beaters in safety and efficiency, Boeing have just turned into a company who just want to make huge money for the coffers f*** safety etc etc

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
that makes it sound like the airline just patches over the door, rather than order a different specification from Boeing.
Nope done by Boeing

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

The two that crashed, wasn't down to faulty software, it did what it was programmed to do.

The max, has larger more powerful 'leap' engines than the previous 737 NG series, for this reason they had to be mounted further forward and inboard. This caused a potential centre of gravity issue with more weight further forward and a much increased lift vector. More power, more lift. The software was designed to tell if the aircrafts lift (pitch up) was too great, it would automatically overide and pitch down to compensate.

Aircraft pitch is measured by angle of attack vein, two in total, one on both front sides of aircraft, just like a wind vein, its a pretty simply mental vein that moves/weathercocks based on aircraft pitch attitude to tell systems aircraft pitch angle. On both crashed aircraft, one had failed and wasn't reading properly so the two were giving different readings and the auto compensation/protection mode was programmed to activate if the two showed different readings. It automatically drove the nose forward and pitched down. Unfortunately poor training too, as the stabiliser trim over ride switch would allow pilots to operate controls opposite of automatic nose down trim.

The system has been amended, so you need both angle of attack veins to agree before auto nose down now, over ride is easier and increased training on operators/pilots. I'm pretty sure that issue won't happen again.

The current news story doesn't surprise me, even though theres scant facts yet. 900 versions are stretched longer versions and with increasing use of composite materials (which are less flexible) to save weight. If you took your family car, sawed it in half and stuck a plug section in it to create an extra middle row, and turn it from a 5 to 8 seater, youd probably lose a little structural integrity too imho. Is a Limo as structurally stable as the original car it was based off? Of course these things are all tested and certified. But that's my hunch.

The bigger Max story is a few weeks ago, there was an urgent memorandum for operators to check bolt assembly on rudders as nuts had fallen off and others not tightened. If you lose the rudder you'll lose longitudinal (yaw) stability and that's a big risk too.

Max has been beset with issues, but still need to wait on full facts on latest incident.

Ryanair won't call them Max because of all negative PR. They call them 737 8-200!

"Fancy flying on a 737?"
They and there issues are however, totally unrelated and have no bearing on other 737s like the NG which are among the most used and safest aircraft in the air.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
1704821835564.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here