Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fan behaviour / Bad weekend for Football

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Sadly absolutely seems to be the case, footage has turned up online (I’m obviously not posting) and would appear a group of Blackpool fans including the deceased approach the pub with some Burnley fans outside.

A mindless death, RIP
Just seen the video myself too - presume you mean the one shot from inside a car.

Although the footage isn’t clear, it looks like the male who has passed away initially goes to kick someone who is laid on the floor already, and then gets hit himself and ends up on the floor.

Doubt there will be a manslaughter charge here as the arrested party will claim self defence and only a football banning order going to for all involved.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just seen the video myself too - presume you mean the one shot from inside a car.

Although the footage isn’t clear, it looks like the male who has passed away initially goes to kick someone who is laid on the floor already, and then gets hit himself and ends up on the floor.

Doubt there will be a manslaughter charge here as the arrested party will claim self defence and only a football banning order going to for all involved.
That’s the one.

Don’t know if there’s further context (none that’s justifiable) outside of the video but the Blackpool group have approached first it would seem and as above has tried to kick someone on the floor.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
horrible story the Blackpool one - RIP - very rare you hear of murders at football these days if ever…

Fell a bit sorry for the kid at Liverpool - mainly as he was 16 - very silly but hopefully learnt his lesson - just a little excited at Liverpool smashing Man U. Klopp went mental at him!
16 is old enough to know better. Fans have no place on the pitch - it's the players' place of work. We wouldn't tolerate a member of the audience running on stage after an actor delivers a great line and a football stadium has to be no different.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
800 000-900 000 going to football in the top six tiers of English football every week... and always just a handful of incidents, usually limited to some numptey yelling or singing something they shouldn't. Quite remarkable really.
This is true. Given how 'tribal' football is, and how central that element is to the experience, its quite surprising there aren't more problems, with the vast majority of people staying on the right side of the line. Partly, as someone has said, because of the (mainly very effective) efforts made by authorities and probably also increased use of technology such as cctv. That said, while still a relatively small problem, it does seem to be on the increase, no doubt linked with increased use of cocaine and the broader context of a post lockdown, increasingly unequal society.

In the end i think it's down to the majority of us to (help) deal with the minority.

I heard an interview on 5live with some man utd fan representative ahead of the match yesterday and while giving it the requisite 'some things are going too far' he seemed very reluctant to really give support to the joint statement by the two managers about 'disaster chants'. Basically saying it is impossible to stamp out and apparently not the responsibility of other supporters to do anything about. Pretty pathetic really. I think if I heard people chanting about Hillsborough at Liverpool fans, I'd feel obliged to say something. Or at least report it, if it felt too dangerous to confront them. But apparently no, it's just 'part of football'. Twat.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Essentially, if you haven't grown out of that level of abuse when you've actually grown up, you're never likely to, not even when the manager of your football club suggests it might be a good idea.
There is a lot of truth in what you say. From someone now nearer to 60 than 50, I now finally have laid any pretence to hooliganism to rest. Don’t get me wrong, I was never a hard man, never a plotter, just an easily led sheep.

I come from an era of tribalism, although the original Mods and Rockets happened around my birth the legacy lived on. I recall around the age of 10 being near the Palace Pier as a group of bikers rode into town, me and my mates thought we were running for our lives away from the scene as we were wearing fluro socks and Beetle Crusher shoes! The music scene was full of rivalry in the late 70s, metal into punk into new wave into ska, etc etc. Gigs were full of violence.

Those years were the ones that shaped me in a big way. Wanting to be part of the gang, wanting to be accepted. Sometimes to gain that acceptance you needed to do things that you knew were wrong, nothing too serious, you didn’t think about it too much, some of it was fun! Then came football.

I had been going occasionally with a family elder for a few years, but suddenly in 79 I met a new crowd, and we went on our own. Seemed a big thing at the beginning but that soon waned when we always went in the Nortwest terrace every week. The highlights apart from the game were privately ripping the piss out of some of the characters in there. I wanted to be in the North Stand. Noise, bravado, singing, and kudos (although I am not even sure the word existed back then). So I hooked up with some old buddies who were now going into the promised land of the bit opposite of Hove Park, I think I got very scared the first week when two blokes in their twenties started having a row over something nothing to do with what was going on in front of us, birds or something.

It set the scene. From pre pubescent into adolescent into full grown teenager, and then onto the heady heights of the eighties. Not a yuppie, but earning good by being in a valued trade at the time. Life became a game of oneupmanship, clothes, nightclubs, girls, cannot include football as I remained loyal to my local club. Hooliganism was now a part of young men at football, some may disagree, but being in your early/mid twenties and fashionable at football was like putting a target on yourself, not that I needed a target to be put on me, I did that all by myself at times! And then on to following England away sporadically.

Fast forward a LOT of years. Albion were crap, footy was occasional rather than regular but the heart remained with Brighton. In fact it was more than football, I became fiercely passionate about how bloody wonderful Brighton was, and is. Eclectic, metropolitan, good UK weather, I bloody loved it. Then some weirdo called Tony Bloom turned up, built a new stadium and reignited both the good and bad side of my footy fixation. First Palace game moved from Saturday to Tuesday, no problem, take a days leave to get in the pubs, I was past 45 years old FFS! Years later I moved across the world as BHAFC entered the PL, was our first game against MCFC? Yay or nay, I recall having VERY heated conversations with City fans when I felt they were doing the ‘little old Brighton’ routine. Not sure the self appointed leader of the Australian MCFC supporters club expected me to be quite so in his face!

To finish up. I grew up with it, I lived it, I continued to allow it to influence me for far too long. But when it was the era that most affected your formative years it is not easy to cast it off. I finally have, but don’t dis my team if I have had a beer OK?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
horrible story the Blackpool one - RIP - very rare you hear of murders at football these days if ever…

Fell a bit sorry for the kid at Liverpool - mainly as he was 16 - very silly but hopefully learnt his lesson - just a little excited at Liverpool smashing Man U. Klopp went mental at him!
Klopp went mental because the kid slipped and slid into Robertson and Gakpo who both went down awkwardly, and for a few moments it looked like Robertson had properly injured his ankle.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's easy to look outward and speak generally without first turning the mirror on ourselves and keeping our own house in order.

Personally, I won't be having a party when Zaha dies. It's not a backhanded compliment, but goes against our nature as a classy club.

Whilst that may be on the minor end of the misbehaviour spectrum, let's hope there aren't any renditions of that next Wednesday.

And if there are, who's going to call them out? No screaming for policemen necessary, just a firm word from a few might suffice.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There is a lot of truth in what you say. From someone now nearer to 60 than 50, I now finally have laid any pretence to hooliganism to rest. Don’t get me wrong, I was never a hard man, never a plotter, just an easily led sheep.

I come from an era of tribalism, although the original Mods and Rockets happened around my birth the legacy lived on. I recall around the age of 10 being near the Palace Pier as a group of bikers rode into town, me and my mates thought we were running for our lives away from the scene as we were wearing fluro socks and Beetle Crusher shoes! The music scene was full of rivalry in the late 70s, metal into punk into new wave into ska, etc etc. Gigs were full of violence.

Those years were the ones that shaped me in a big way. Wanting to be part of the gang, wanting to be accepted. Sometimes to gain that acceptance you needed to do things that you knew were wrong, nothing too serious, you didn’t think about it too much, some of it was fun! Then came football.

I had been going occasionally with a family elder for a few years, but suddenly in 79 I met a new crowd, and we went on our own. Seemed a big thing at the beginning but that soon waned when we always went in the Nortwest terrace every week. The highlights apart from the game were privately ripping the piss out of some of the characters in there. I wanted to be in the North Stand. Noise, bravado, singing, and kudos (although I am not even sure the word existed back then). So I hooked up with some old buddies who were now going into the promised land of the bit opposite of Hove Park, I think I got very scared the first week when two blokes in their twenties started having a row over something nothing to do with what was going on in front of us, birds or something.

It set the scene. From pre pubescent into adolescent into full grown teenager, and then onto the heady heights of the eighties. Not a yuppie, but earning good by being in a valued trade at the time. Life became a game of oneupmanship, clothes, nightclubs, girls, cannot include football as I remained loyal to my local club. Hooliganism was now a part of young men at football, some may disagree, but being in your early/mid twenties and fashionable at football was like putting a target on yourself, not that I needed a target to be put on me, I did that all by myself at times! And then on to following England away sporadically.

Fast forward a LOT of years. Albion were crap, footy was occasional rather than regular but the heart remained with Brighton. In fact it was more than football, I became fiercely passionate about how bloody wonderful Brighton was, and is. Eclectic, metropolitan, good UK weather, I bloody loved it. Then some weirdo called Tony Bloom turned up, built a new stadium and reignited both the good and bad side of my footy fixation. First Palace game moved from Saturday to Tuesday, no problem, take a days leave to get in the pubs, I was past 45 years old FFS! Years later I moved across the world as BHAFC entered the PL, was our first game against MCFC? Yay or nay, I recall having VERY heated conversations with City fans when I felt they were doing the ‘little old Brighton’ routine. Not sure the self appointed leader of the Australian MCFC supporters club expected me to be quite so in his face!

To finish up. I grew up with it, I lived it, I continued to allow it to influence me for far too long. But when it was the era that most affected your formative years it is not easy to cast it off. I finally have, but don’t dis my team if I have had a beer OK?
Good post :thumbsup:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Were you stalking me through the late 70s and 80s?.... Lol.....

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Flare on the pitch at Brentford tonight. Home side playing well until one of their own fans lobbed the incendiary onto the pitch. Lost their way thereafter. Currently 1-1
I was there. The miscreant only bought two it would appear…

They have safe standing in both home popular end and the away end.

From my vantage point it appeared it was stand where you want with clearly more occupants on the standing than number of seats so very difficult to identify the individual.

Behaviour such as this will potentially de-rail safe standing I expect as clubs, stewards and Police will struggle to control elements of fan behaviour.

Attachments

• 6BC409AF-00D3-4D15-A508-51D3A0538887.jpeg
    6BC409AF-00D3-4D15-A508-51D3A0538887.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's all about fine margins. I'm sure loads of people will have seen the video that went viral from a few weeks back when Chelsea played West Ham. We all laughed as the coked up Chelsea fan gives it large only to be knocked clean out by a right hand from a Harry Potter look alike. The humiliation completed by further videos of the Chelsea fan being carted around in a wheelchair with a badly cut lip.

As the video went viral by all accounts the West Ham fan is getting his collar felt. But more importantly another day that fan could be facing a manslaughter charge as the Chelsea fans head really hits the ground hard.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Sadly every club has its share of idiots for whom having a scrap is part of a day out, no matter the consequences. Some clubs have more than others.

I doubt any/many of them genuinely go into it thinking that they are going to kill or be killed but especially in today’s society you know that once you go down that route the outcome cannot be predicted.

What a waste of a life, sadly he won’t be the last.
unfortunately mate it's not restricted to football in England or any other country , there are a lot of angry , drug fuelled morons out there who love nothing more than getting tanked up and having a scrap....blind siding a 50 plus year old is pretty poor form , even from Burnley.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
unfortunately mate it's not restricted to football in England or any other country , there are a lot of angry , drug fuelled morons out there who love nothing more than getting tanked up and having a scrap....blind siding a 50 plus year old is pretty poor form , even from Burnley.
From the footage I’ve seen I wouldn’t describe it as been blindsided

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
800 000-900 000 going to football in the top six tiers of English football every week... and always just a handful of incidents, usually limited to some numptey yelling or singing something they shouldn't. Quite remarkable really.
You would think by some in the media that there are running battles on the street on every provincial town every saturday. In the vast majority of cases nothing happens. I expect there are more arrests at Pride and in town every weekend than there is all season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Klopp went mental because the kid slipped and slid into Robertson and Gakpo who both went down awkwardly, and for a few moments it looked like Robertson had properly injured his ankle.
Yeh I read that after - as I say, a bit sorry for him just cos he will now get a long ban for a moment of stupidity but lesson learnt I guess!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
From the footage I’ve seen I wouldn’t describe it as been blindsided
ok then , there was some bloke on twitter saying what a lovely bloke he was , father of 2 , 3 etc. sounded to me like he got picked on ...such is life , as you were...:thumbsup:

sorry , forgot to add, the footage i saw of loads of African lads getting stuck into the scousers in Paris last season was pretty damming and obvious what was going on although many on here binned it at the time...:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here