Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA defends use of VAR at only nine of 32 third-round Cup ties

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Makes sense. There is a considerable cost to implement it - who would pay?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t think it really matters. It’s either VAR for both teams or no VAR for both teams so there is consistency. There will be decisions with which people disagree under both scenarios so ultimately it makes little difference.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So no VAR at our match at The Hawthorns, even though as a former Prem club West Brom have all the tech installed.

It will be interesting if a non-Prem side get a home draw in the quarter-finals, with no VAR in operation and the potential shitstorm that might ensue.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Makes sense to use it if a ground has it but not if it is too costly for non PL teams.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It will be interesting if a non-Prem side get a home draw in the quarter-finals, with no VAR in operation and the potential shitstorm that might ensue.

If I remember correctly, Man City might not have beaten Swansea in the quarter final 2019 had VAR been in use. Dodgy pen to equalise, and their winning goal would more than likely have been ruled offside by VAR. We could/should have been playing Swansea in the semi's

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Eventually VAR will be in most of the league games I think. But it's all about the money of course.

VAR has a lot of critics and rightly so, but I think football is better with it. Needs speeding up and there will still be contentious decisions, but it will improve over time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So no VAR at our match at The Hawthorns, even though as a former Prem club West Brom have all the tech installed.

I'd imagine that WBA have all of the infrastructure in place, to install the VAR cameras, but none of the actual cameras.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Shouldn’t have it in the cup at all unless it’s at every ground from third round.
What about PL referees? Is it fair that some games have PL referees while others don't? On the assumption that having VAR is better than not having it (that's a different discussion altogether), I don't see how you improve the competition by deliberately reducing the quality of refereeing in some games.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What about PL referees? Is it fair that some games have PL referees while others don't? On the assumption that having VAR is better than not having it (that's a different discussion altogether), I don't see how you improve the competition by deliberately reducing the quality of refereeing in some games.

You need a ref for the game to go ahead

It’s not fair you could be knocked out by VAR in a game in the same round you can’t.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You need a ref for the game to go ahead

It’s not fair you could be knocked out by VAR in a game in the same round you can’t.
I don't get that at all. Are you saying that if a Huddersfield score an offside goal tomorrow and the linesman misses it, it would be unfair to disallow it?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Like this game in GPs Swansea season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta4o3VDi5vs

The penalty at 3 minutes would never have been a penalty with VAR and neither would Agueros winning goal from offside position... dont remember any shitstorm however.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If you cannot VAR in every game you should have it at none at all. You cannot have games in the same competition being played under different regulatory conditions determined by an arbitrary measure it makes no sense at all.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If you cannot VAR in every game you should have it at none at all. You cannot have games in the same competition being played under different regulatory conditions determined by an arbitrary measure it makes no sense at all.
Why not? We accept different weather, different sizes of pitch, different floodlights, different referees and linesmen, different qualities of pitch. Why not different TV cameras? As long as the game is fair between the two sides, then let it be refereed as well as it can be. Don't introduce deliberate mistakes in WBA v Brighton just in case those mistakes might happen in Hartlepool v Wimbledon.

It's a cup tie, and each game is designed to determine the better side of two. There is no advantage or disadvantage to any other team in any other game if mistakes are avoided in one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why not? We accept different weather, different sizes of pitch, different floodlights, different referees and linesmen, different qualities of pitch. Why not different TV cameras? As long as the game is fair between the two sides, then let it be refereed as well as it can be. Don't introduce deliberate mistakes in WBA v Brighton just in case those mistakes might happen in Hartlepool v Wimbledon.

It's a cup tie, and each game is designed to determine the better side of two. There is no advantage or disadvantage to any other team in any other game if mistakes are avoided in one.

But it's the same competition. Two referees can make exactly the same mistake, but in the non-VAT match that mistake could be decisive.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
But it's the same competition. Two referees can make exactly the same mistake, but in the non-VAT match that mistake could be decisive.
I don't see any advantage in deliberately reducing the quality of refereeing to the standard of the lowest, especially in a cup competition where each match has absolutely zero effect on all the others. We'll just have to agree to differ.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Would be interesting if they had an unofficial rule that VAR would not be used in prem games if both teams agreed.

Wonder how many games wouldn't have it.

None if the fans were to choose

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eventually VAR will be in most of the league games I think. But it's all about the money of course.

VAR has a lot of critics and rightly so, but I think football is better with it. Needs speeding up and there will still be contentious decisions, but it will improve over time.

Quite right.

I was never bothered by the delays and the theft of the abrupt orgasmic moment, but I like it more now with swifter and fewer VAR ajudications, even if there are some errors that could (should) be caught that don't fit VAR criteria.

Anyway, this ship has long since sailed - we won't be going back to guesswork in the EPL, and I expect that the tech will become cheper and will roll out down the leagues (once the Championship has decided to embrace it).

That said, I can't see why the FA can't insist it is used at stadia where the tech is (or should be) in place, like the Hawthorns. WTF?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here