Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ezequiel Fernández

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
They can’t both be in the tournament. If Girona win the league and city don’t coupled with city not winning champs league then city miss out on champs league (based on who finishes higher in league).

Then lawyers get involved.
Both RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg were in the 2023/24 edition of the Champions League and their ownership structure is of similar make up

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Both RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg were in the 2023/24 edition of the Champions League and their ownership structure is of similar make up
is it? is there not a fan-ownership rule in germany which circumnavigates this? as opposed to them being directly owned by the same group like city and girona

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They can’t both be in the tournament. If Girona win the league and city don’t coupled with city not winning champs league then city miss out on champs league (based on who finishes higher in league).
this has been confirmed to NOT be the case.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
is it? is there not a fan-ownership rule in germany which circumnavigates this? as opposed to them being directly owned by the same group like city and girona
Generally I believe there is but there are some exceptions, including Leipzig and, I think, Wolfsburg (owned by VW).

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Generally I believe there is but there are some exceptions, including Leipzig and, I think, Wolfsburg (owned by VW).
Yes I think there are exceptions in the form of company clubs which predate those rules (eg Wolfsburg and Leverkusen) and those who were promoted up from lower divisions where those rules didn't exist (eg Leipzig and Hoffenheim). I may have some details wrong but that's the general jist I believe.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Yes I think there are exceptions in the form of company clubs which predate those rules (eg Wolfsburg and Leverkusen) and those who were promoted up from lower divisions where those rules didn't exist (eg Leipzig and Hoffenheim). I may have some details wrong but that's the general jist I believe.
Only Leverkusen and Wolfsburg are the exceptions to the 50+1 rule. These two were originally set up as works teams, as you state, and allowed to be exceptions to the rule.
Hoffenheim were granted an exception but the owner intends to pass on majority membership voting rights, whilst he continues to be majority shareholder. This was announced towards the end of last year.
RB Leipzig flout the rule by only having something like 17 members who are employees or affiliates of RB. They worked their way up the leagues by buying the licence of a lower club and then rapidly getting promoted to the bundesliga. They are generally hated by fans of other clubs in Germany.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here