Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Excel Question...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
After trying for ages I have finally come to the all knowing place.

I am trying to count the number of sells in a row minus those that contain certain words.

If it was a single word such as Apple it would be:

=COUNTIF(E9:AH9,"<>*Apple*")

It then gives me number of cells that do not contain the word 'Apple'

But...

But if I want it to give me the number of cells in the column that do not contain the words 'Apple' 'Banana' and 'Orange' (which would therefore be more) how do I add to the formula ?

Yours in desperation.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

I am trying to count the number of sells in a row minus those that contain certain words.

But...

But if I want it to give me the number of cells in the column that do not contain the words 'Apple' 'Banana' and 'Orange' (which would therefore be more) how do I add to the formula ?

Yours in desperation.
Haven't got a spreadsheet to hand to test this, but I think you just need COUNTIFS? (Note the S on the end)

=COUNTIFS(E9:AH9,"<>*Apple*",E9:AH9,"<>*Banana*",E9:AH9,"<>*Orange*")

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

But...

Yours in desperation.
I'd imagine you could use the highlight cells rule function to highlight cells, then count the number of cells that aren't highlighted.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Haven't got a spreadsheet to hand to test this, but I think you just need COUNTIFS? (Note the S on the end)

=COUNTIFS(E9:AH9,"<>*Apple*",E9:AH9,"<>*Banana*",E9:AH9,"<>*Orange*")
This is the correct solution. COUNTIFS allows multiple criteria to be used whereas COUNTIF is for single criteria.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
NSC, you're beautiful.

Thank you so much. These simple formulas will save hours of work for the project I am doing at present.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Chat gpt is also great at answering questions like this. You need to be careful to phrase the question un ambiguously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here