Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton Loss

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I prefer last seasons back four to this seasons three.

To me it looks like our opponents are exploiting the space between wing back and outside centre defender.

I feel sorry for Webster who looks to be struggling on the left and i'd like to see him move to the centre of the three with lewis on the left or replaced by Burn who we know can play left.

Ben White now knows what premier league football is all about. We'll see how he stands up to it.

I hope Potter can sort this out because 10 goals conceded in four games suggests that the current tactic of a back three isn't working.

.... Isn't working perfectly yet.... you have to concede that four games isn't nearly long enough for a manager to rip up his game plan....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's going to be a long journey home tonight.
Tony Bloom has withdrawn the M6 toll privileges, so they have to view the delights of Brum as a penalty of losing today :lol:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Everton are a good team (and credit must go to Ancelotti) - Brighton were outclassed today, a young team that will be inconsistent - 2 weeks now with the international break and the game against Palace is an important one to get out of the funk of losing.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are very naive as a side. We have outplayed Chelsea, Newcastle & Man United but conceaded several sloppy goals and not scored as often as we should've. Everton today we looked the weaker side but we will have games like that even as a mid table side.

The concerns are to do with our organisation and especially our defending of set pieces, this probably stems from a change in shape, tactics and personel at the back which is likely to settle down over the coming weeks.

Obviously we could sign plenty of players who would improve our squad but we are not challenging for titles and the squad this season is so far improved from the squad that started the 2017 season. We will be fine, hopefully approaching 10th come May

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Today our youth and lack of experience was exposed we were niave and showed no gamesmanship. For instance we completely ignored the weather conditions and did not adapt to Pickfords incompetence- we should have been hamering shots in not trying to walk it.

That said I don't think it is all bad Everton are on a roll and we will improve let's see what happens in the next 4-5 games that will give us a real idea.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sorry? Kept possession well? Are you serious?

We had 87 misplaced passes today, and 137 possession give-aways. In 90 minutes. It was almost a club record on both counts. How on earth does that constitute “keeping possession well”?!

Rose tinted glasses. Think club store has them for sale. I watched the 83 cup final wearing some and we won 3-2.

Nicky Rust Fan Club

Sep 26, 2020
Perth, Australia
.... Isn't working perfectly yet.... you have to concede that four games isn't nearly long enough for a manager to rip up his game plan....

I haven't suggested ripping the game plan up but you have to concede that we are letting in too many goals. As I said i think it just needs tweaking. I would bring Dan Burn in on the left of our three and let webster and white fight for the right centre back spot. Also having a giant on the pitch would help us defend set pieces.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Seen way too much negativity about how terrible we were. However, maybe we just played a very good team who're gonna be right up there this season. I think we played okay, kept possession well, created chances, scored a few goals which a lot of teams won't do at Goodison this season.

I do agree defensively we need to improve corners and freekicks are serious worries a long with the fact we concede straight after scoring. But the truth is we've just been beaten by the better side and the only side we've played in the league this season that have been genuinely better than us. Despite that we had just as many shots as they did and far more of the ball. It's a long term project and there will be games like this.

Let's not overreact it's a long season there is plenty to be positive about and hopefully we can move forward and cut out silly mistakes. Some of yous need to look at the bigger picture not just the fact we've conceded sloppy goals and lost today it wasn't too long ago we bashed Newcastle and people were getting too carried away a club like us will have good days and bad days because ultimately we're still in transition and it takes time.

Let's just see where we're at after at-least 12 games before writing us off as " relegation fodder ".

It was blatantly not a day for farting around. Atrocious weather conditions, just get the ball up field and shoot. No time for fancy footwork, extremely naive. Oh an the corners totally crap. What was that about ?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
We had 60 percent of the ball against a team featuring some of the best players in the league. There were sloppy moments as stated in the post however with young players especially they will be naïve and make mistakes. They did genuinely play nice football at times and keep possession well, it's just the mistakes have taken any focus off that. Everton are genuinely quality with one of the best managers of all time, it was always going to be a tough one today.

The stats rarely lie, and they certainly do NOT in this game. Our ball retention and our use of possession was truly appalling. 87 mis-placed passes and 137 possession give-aways in 90 minutes is NOT good use of possession in anybody’s book. Except yours, obviously!

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
The stats rarely lie, and they certainly do NOT in this game. Our ball retention and our use of possession was truly appalling. 87 mis-placed passes and 137 possession give-aways in 90 minutes is NOT good use of possession in anybody’s book. Except yours, obviously!

When you play possession based football there is obviously a higher chance that you're going to give the ball away, it's really not that difficult to understand. When you're playing against world class players coached by a world class manager it's evidently not going to be easy to play through them like we did against Newcastle. You're reading far too much into the misplaced passes and possession giveaway stats, playing risky passes is part of our game.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
It was blatantly not a day for farting around. Atrocious weather conditions, just get the ball up field and shoot. No time for fancy footwork, extremely naive. Oh an the corners totally crap. What was that about ?

Nobody is saying we were fantastic and evidently room for improvement, Potter's post match interview suggested he took a lot of notes from that game. The better team won, we move on and hopefully learn from it.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I noticed we were crap at defending, crap at set pieces we got and defended, totally agree we should have gone all alladyce in this game with the weather conditions. First touch seemed to be heavy and to top it all everton were actually quite good.
We always play crap up there but because we've been spoilt with recent performances, league cup aside we want more.
Four games in and there's an inquest with he's not good enough and he's doing a dale and let's drive this bloke to (insert chosen club here) ourselves.
It was generally crap to watch, but hey ho moving on. Small comfort, but everyone seems to be shipping goals and playing crap!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Nobody is saying we were fantastic and evidently room for improvement, Potter's post match interview suggested he took a lot of notes from that game. The better team won, we move on and hopefully learn from it.

I enjoyed the game i could see the positives 2 goals scored last 20 mins dominated but us. I sleep well feeling comfortable we will be just fine this season. So i don't really get your reply ? I was just pointing out we should be more street wise.

All that seems to happen is moan, moan we don't score enough. We are averaging 2 goals a game and look like scoring more, happy days.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here