Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton deduction reduced to 6 points [Update 8/4: ...and another 2 points]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If I were Tony I would be looking at a 6 point deduction for non compliance with FFP and wondering whether it’s much of a deterrent at all. There comes a point when spending big and flouting the rules may actually become worthwhile, particularly if it yields a European place. I am not surprised that Everton have been quoted as being ‘satisfied’ with the decision.
Leicester already proved better than anyone could that saying "f*** FFP" absolutely pays off.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Maybe I'm alone in feeling sorry for Everton. Not because they got caught, the FA should throw the book at them with instant relegation, but because they only broke 1 (I believe) rule thus it only took the FA a year to sort it out.
Man City will never have a meaningful points deduction and we all know this.
Same with Chelsea. Even Neville called them the Billion Pound Bottlers. But had they won Sunday the fans would have celebrated, the team would have celebrated, and that day could never be taken away from them.
Worst that will happen to the latter two will be a deduction at season start, reduced by 50% by Christmas and meaning City will still win everything and Chelsea nothing.

I feel sorry for the teams they CHEATED out of money/PL status

People need to stop using city as an excuse for what Everton have done, same applies to forest.

Leeds and Leicester should be PL teams still, much how I dislike them

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My view, which some may find harsh, but I think it’s fair, would be to identify the point in time that the rules are breached, identify what points have been won by that team with any newly purchased player(s) since that date, and deduct them.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Reading the Everton forum they are such hypocrites. For weeks they have been saying the points deduction was too harsh. Now they are saying Forest should get deducted more than them. The Premier league is corrupt? No , you created the rules and then cheated. They don’t seem to realise how lucky they are as the penalty should have happened last season and they would have been relegated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reading the Everton forum they are such hypocrites. For weeks they have been saying the points deduction was too harsh. Now they are saying Forest should get deducted more than them. The Premier league is corrupt? No , you created the rules and then cheated. They don’t seem to realise how lucky they are as the penalty should have happened last season and they would have been relegated.

They always have been, grabdoldteam spent years hating on Abu Dhabi’s cheating. The moment they got wind that cheating Everton were under investigation, many argued that football finance should be a free for all.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I feel sorry for the teams they CHEATED out of money/PL status

People need to stop using city as an excuse for what Everton have done, same applies to forest.

Leeds and Leicester should be PL teams still, much how I dislike them
I love the irony of it being those two that should have benefited from someone else's financial doping. In other sports if you cheat you get disqualified. Deducting 6 points or 10 points means nothing. Perhaps Lance Armstrong should have had a few minutes added to his finishing time.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I read Grand Old Team occasionally. There are some minor dissenting voices that differ from the Everton fan line but just like on NSC they tend to get shouted down. Most posters on here automatically see cheating by opposition players and not by our own. Every decision should have gone our way. Every ref is corrupt or incompetent if we lose and had a good game if we win. I really don’t think our support as a whole would react any differently from Everton’s. After all, a few years ago there was widespread disdain for PL fan arrogance and the birth of the ‘teams like Brighton’ phrase. Now we are amongst the elite we have a lot of posters on here who act with a sense of entitlement only previously seen on Man U and Arsenal forums.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In relation to the two highlighted points:

1. They didn't lose the case.... 7 of the 9 points were upheld. Of the 2 they didn't win, the important one related to not properly taking account of other benchmarks [probably a schoolboy error, but the good news is that there's now much more certainty around what future sanctions should look like. And it's not the Premier League anyway, the original points deduction was imposed by an Independent Commission;

2. Ref Citeh, from what we all understand, the issue is the massive complexity of the multiple alleged breaches. Plus (allegedly) Man City not co-operating with the EPL. In the case of Everton, it was all relatively straightforward, plus EFC co-operated with the EPL.
Thank you for the clarification, but the optics of this are important and the Premier League - rightly or wrongly is being damaged. And whilst the Everton case may have been straightforward we are dealing with a club that is unlikely to get into a European place or go down regardless of the fine, so ultimately irrelevant from the viewpoint of the actual League itself, whereas Man City are chalking up trophies year after year having broken the rules.

As a Saracens fan I've seen Premiership Rugby relegate the club into the Championship which - in terms of revenue - is like relegating a Prem club to the National League South. This happened during Covid, so not just a harsh penalty but an existential threat. Saracens were lucky but Wasps, Worcester and London Irish never recovered from loss of income via Covid and are all out of business. A 10-point penalty for Everton is really peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I read Grand Old Team occasionally. There are some minor dissenting voices that differ from the Everton fan line but just like on NSC they tend to get shouted down. Most posters on here automatically see cheating by opposition players and not by our own. Every decision should have gone our way. Every ref is corrupt or incompetent if we lose and had a good game if we win. I really don’t think our support as a whole would react any differently from Everton’s. After all, a few years ago there was widespread disdain for PL fan arrogance and the birth of the ‘teams like Brighton’ phrase. Now we are amongst the elite we have a lot of posters on here who act with a sense of entitlement only previously seen on Man U and Arsenal forums.

i’ve always felt that if we were bought by a corrupt oligarch or murderous state, the vast majority of the wider Albion fanbase would say bring on the trophies. In addition, many who say they’d never attend games again, just wouldn’t actually follow that through. Newcastle supporters always despised Abramovich and Abu Dhabi, but perhaps 99.9% have carried on and suddenly become far noisier in their support.

None of which has anything to do with clubs financially cheating their way to success/survival and the meaningful punishments that should be handed out. Supporters of the honest clubs are not entitled by wanting to see rules enforced.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thank you for the clarification, but the optics of this are important and the Premier League - rightly or wrongly is being damaged. And whilst the Everton case may have been straightforward we are dealing with a club that is unlikely to get into a European place or go down regardless of the fine, so ultimately irrelevant from the viewpoint of the actual League itself, whereas Man City are chalking up trophies year after year having broken the rules.

As a Saracens fan I've seen Premiership Rugby relegate the club into the Championship which - in terms of revenue - is like relegating a Prem club to the National League South. This happened during Covid, so not just a harsh penalty but an existential threat. Saracens were lucky but Wasps, Worcester and London Irish never recovered from loss of income via Covid and are all out of business. A 10-point penalty for Everton is really peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Everton are absolutely screwed financially, 777 take over is unlikely now and they have been propping them up, They have put in around £120 million as loans to keep the club running, they have taken out loans with high interest which need paying back.

https://theesk.org/2024/02/25/how-moshiri-can-end-evertons-paralysis-now/

A long read, but shows what a shit show the club is.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
i’ve always felt that if we were bought by a corrupt oligarch or murderous state, the vast majority of the wider Albion fanbase would say bring on the trophies. In addition, many who say they’d never attend games again, just wouldn’t actually follow that through. Newcastle supporters always despised Abramovich and Abu Dhabi, but perhaps 99.9% have carried on and suddenly become far noisier in their support.

None of which has anything to do with clubs financially cheating their way to success/survival and the meaningful punishments that should be handed out. Supporters of the honest clubs are not entitled by wanting to see rules enforced.
Of course. We play our part in putting the pressure on the authorities as and when we can. One day the boot may be on the other foot though. I’m in no way supportive of Everton. I’m just saying that I also won’t be backing Brighton in similar circumstances.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
After all, a few years ago there was widespread disdain for PL fan arrogance and the birth of the ‘teams like Brighton’ phrase. Now we are amongst the elite we have a lot of posters on here who act with a sense of entitlement only previously seen on Man U and Arsenal forums.
1. I would class "the elite" as those clubs who are under no pressure of losing their star players to other Prem clubs, so basically Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. Even Spurs and Villa couldn't keep Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish.
2. I've not seen any posters have an over-inflated sense of entitlement. For me that would be expecting to be in the Top 6 year in year out, and who is saying that? I think it is a fair assumption that all the while Bloom, Barber and RDZ are in position we will be safe from relegation, and I don't see that as entitlement, just short-term football realism.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Everton are absolutely screwed financially, 777 take over is unlikely now and they have been propping them up, They have put in around £120 million as loans to keep the club running, they have taken out loans with high interest which need paying back.

https://theesk.org/2024/02/25/how-moshiri-can-end-evertons-paralysis-now/

A long read, but shows what a shit show the club is.
Very interesting.

I think next season in the Prem could be an absolute cracker at both ends of the table. This year we've got plucky Luton, while Burnley and the Blades have stunk the place out, so Everton can breathe easy but replace those 3 that cam up with Leeds, Leicester and Saints and relegation will be a dogfight. They also won't be in their new stadium until summer 2025, if not later.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Very interesting.

I think next season in the Prem could be an absolute cracker at both ends of the table. This year we've got plucky Luton, while Burnley and the Blades have stunk the place out, so Everton can breathe easy but replace those 3 that cam up with Leeds, Leicester and Saints and relegation will be a dogfight. They also won't be in their new stadium until summer 2025, if not later.
He's got a few bits on the take over and state of the club, he's worth a follow of Twitter.

Everton remind me of Sunderland, circled the drain for a few years then finally dropped, they are going to have to sell again this summer, Pickford/Onana/Braithwaite/Mykolenko are all for sale at the right price, lose any of those and they are in trouble.

Everton are also going to have a lot of grudge games against teams that feel cheated, making those games harder still.

This season has been very average at the bottom, teams such as Palace/Brentford know they don't have to win games, so they settle for a point in games rather than go for a win.

Next year could be the strongest league for a while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here