Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Needs a loan, look what happened to Connolly

serious friday GIF

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm watching SkySports and Mbappe appears in a press conference to say how France know all about 18 year old Evan Ferguson ahead of their game against Republic of Ireland.

Mbappe said, "We saw some clips about him, of course he is a good striker, an important striker for that team. But we hope tomorrow he's going to do nothing and that we're going to win and do a job. But he is a good player."

A goal tonight against France should be worth another £10 million to Tony Bloom.

(Oops, just spotted the previous Tweet that has be shared saying the same thing).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have to admit, I'm astonished at who quickly Ferguson has blown up. He's clearly an exceptional talent, but I saw a thread on Twitter by a decent stats-based, tactical analyst last week saying that he's as good as Haaland and Rooney combined.

We've got masses of hyper-entitled Manchester United and Liverpool fans claiming that he should be their big summer target and than United should forget about Kane and sign him instead. At this stage he's played less than half a season and is developing into a great player, but it seems like the whole of Ireland have pinned the next ten years hopes onto his broad shoulders.

Can't everyone just calm down a little and let the lad develop (at Brighton)?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have to admit, I'm astonished at who quickly Ferguson has blown up. He's clearly an exceptional talent, but I saw a thread on Twitter by a decent stats-based, tactical analyst last week saying that he's as good as Haaland and Rooney combined.

We've got masses of hyper-entitled Manchester United and Liverpool fans claiming that he should be their big summer target and than United should forget about Kane and sign him instead. At this stage he's played less than half a season and is developing into a great player, but it seems like the whole of Ireland have pinned the next ten years hopes onto his broad shoulders.

Can't everyone just calm down a little and let the lad develop (at Brighton)?
This is the thread you refer to I think

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This is the thread you refer to I think

Here's hoping this is right but it seems ludicrously overhyped at this stage of the career and I can remember long periods of games where Ferguson hasn't been effective at all. But that's OKAY because he is 18, save to say comparing him to Rooney and Mbappe etc. at this stage is ridiculous.

Its up to Albion to keep him grounded and manage his game time, I think going to a toxic work environment like Man Utd this Summer would be terrible for his career.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Here's hoping this is right but it seems ludicrously overhyped at this stage of the career and I can remember long periods of games where Ferguson hasn't been effective at all. But that's OKAY because he is 18, save to say comparing him to Rooney and Mbappe etc. at this stage is ridiculous.

Its up to Albion to keep him grounded and manage his game time, I think going to a toxic work environment like Man Utd this Summer would be terrible for his career.
Agreed on all counts.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

"Ferguson, 18, scored twice to help Brighton reach the FA Cup semi-finals and has been attracting race reviews in his first season in the Premier League".

The number of typos being made by the BBC lately!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Tho its up to the Albion (and the ROI) to manage Evan's game time, his family appear to have already done a grand job of keeping him grounded. Hard to envisage that changing anytime soon

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Tho its up to the Albion (and the ROI) to manage Evan's game time, his family appear to have already done a grand job of keeping him grounded. Hard to envisage that changing anytime soon
His parents have done a great job with keeping him grounded. He certainly seems to play the game and not the occasion, as was evident with his comments about his first international start.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
His parents have done a great job with keeping him grounded. He certainly seems to play the game and not the occasion, as was evident with his comments about his first international start.
You would hope that grounding includes not having your head turned at the first available opportunity.

We've come a long way from the majority of Micky Adams's Championship side being on around £1000/1500 a week.

I'd imagine the current Brighton wage structure would make any young player of note at the club stay put knowing he can earn a very good living whilst playing and living in one of the nicest parts of the UK.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You would hope that grounding includes not having your head turned at the first available opportunity.

We've come a long way from the majority of Micky Adams's Championship side being on around £1000/1500 a week.

I'd imagine the current Brighton wage structure would make any young player of note at the club stay put knowing he can earn a very good living whilst playing and living in one of the nicest parts of the UK.
He turned down Liverpool to join us because he saw a clearer path to first team football with us. Now there are press rumours he’ll turn down a summer move to Man Utd because he thinks he’ll be better off continuing his development here as well. Seems he’s got a very sensible head on his young (but massive) shoulders.

He probably knows there is no rush at 18/19 to make a move where he might not get as much game time and that could slow his development which harms his career a lot more than another few seasons learning his trade here.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I dont think we'd sell him this summer regardless of offer as would undermine RDZ and as per Caceido his value isn't dropping anytime soon. Plenty of time to bank the profits after he's helped us improve. I think Tony Bloom will be looking at how close we are to Europe and planing what is needed to make that the norm not exception, and selling all your best players at any opportunity would break that opportunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here