Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 3

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
England made a bunch of mistakes at the back and Pickford just pumps the ball upfield when under the slightest pressure, that was not defensively astute. The only thing which prevented an, at best very average Serbian team, scoring was their woeful ability in the final third. Anyone half decent and England would have been taken apart last night. I know you can only beat what’s put in front of you but England hardly put down a marker for the tournament like some other nations have. In fact I’d actually say the exact opposite, they gave Denmark and Slovenia hope. Thankfully, due to this new crap format, you probably only need one win to go through.
I wouldn't worry too much about what happens when England play anybody half decent.

I don't think I can remember us playing a single team who haven't suddenly become "very average" the moment England come to play against them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I saw a solid 1-0 win, which we were defensively astute, against a decent Serbian side, we won the game. Our best opportunities came out of Kane holding the ball up. Whats the point of putting Gordon on the run on the left wing, when you’ve got a right footed LB, who needs to cut inside every time. The obvious sub was Palmer for Foden, and TAA was arguably one of our best players first half. Serbia never looked like scoring except from a long range shot from Vlahovic. People’s expectations are far too high, I understand why people call it the impossible job, when people call Southgate an imbecile for winning games at tournaments, something that a lot of England managers this century found very difficult to do.
Mitrovic missed a very good chance in the first half after TAA gave the ball away, he's not a CM, he wasn't stand out poor, but his positioning was poor.

We have actual midfielders on the bench.

I need to watch back Euro 96 again. I have a feeling we all look back with rose tinted glasses.

We stank out the first match vs Swiss.

Second match we were winning vs Scotland but they were killing us and missed that pen just before Gazza’s goal.

The Dutch game was phenomenal. No two ways about it.

Spain we were pretty poor weren’t we ? In fact they had a perfectly good goal ruled out if I recall correctly. In the first half, I think.

We were better side vs Germans.

I am not sure the football was that all exciting.

The most exciting one off match was surely winning 5-1 in Germany. What a display.

I don't think anyone thinks we were outstanding in Euro 96, I think it was just an event and United the country for the summer.

But the Netherlands game was unreal, what is Southgates Netherlands?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Today, Matthew, I'm going to be an expert on International football :lolol:

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
I thought it was a very Southgate team performance against an average Serbia. Start well, take an early lead and then revert to trying not to concede over ramping it up and trying to put the game out of sight. It worked OK but having been spoilt by watching the Albion it became boring to watch imo. Try these tactics against a well coached quality side and we will probably be in trouble.

Watching International goal keepers with minimal ball skills is disappointing after watching the Albion. How many times did Pickford hoof the ball back to the opposition? Good keeper though and that is his main job.

Confess to coming close to nodding off in the last 20.

Saka had a good first half and was better than I expected, Rice did well, Foden seems to have left his ability in Manchester and Bellingham is world class, the kid seems to have everything. Hope he stays fit as he is likely to be targeted and hacked down every game. Needs more protection from refs who should be less patient in getting a card out for serial foulers.

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
Shearer did make me laugh constantly saying that it was OK for Kane to be anonymous for 89 mins as long as he got to hit the back of the net in the other minute. Is that really all we should expect from our captain? :lolol:

Kane had a tough game against a very physical defence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were, still 1 of the big boys though!
They were ranked around 12th in the world at the time. They were a name, but nothing more.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Shearer did make me laugh constantly saying that it was OK for Kane to be anonymous for 89 mins as long as he got to hit the back of the net in the other minute. Is that really all we should expect from our captain? :lolol:

Kane had a tough game against a very physical defence.
Lineker or another pundit almost said the same after the match. That is particularly silly as they proudly showed a graphic of the top goalscorers in Europe along with assists, Kane being one of them and highlighted that he wasn't just a scoring machine.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How many times a year does an international group get together? You can’t get to intricate tactically. Every job Potter is lined up for some Brighton fans first line is I hope they give him time, you don’t get time in international football. Fail to qualify for a tournament and he will be on the back page of the red tops with donkey ears.
It’s nothing like club football you simply can’t afford to lose six in a row and have a very patient owner still backing you.
I guess that's true - perhaps Potter wouldn't be able to install his ideas so easily. I still think he'd do a better job than GS though.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Southgate, nice guy I'm sure, but completely clueless and these last few tournaments will be mostly remembered for being a wasted opportunity.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't help but wonder if it is time to shelve the criticism of Southgate for a few weeks and actually try and get behind the team.

One thing I have noted with interest since moving to Australia is how the country gets behind their sports teams when tournaments or big games/events happen. The press, the fans and everyone else generally puts aside their criticisms and supports during tournaments. The dissecting, attacking and scapegoating usually waits until post competition.

It's a fair point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Southgate, nice guy I'm sure, but completely clueless and these last few tournaments will be mostly remembered for being a wasted opportunity.
I get this. But how much responsiblity do the player have to take? Foden and Kane were two standouts for being well below par and did not look interested.....is this mainly down to Southgate?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you expectations are far too high, we are simply not going to win every game 3-0 without a worry in the world.

I agree that in general, England fans online expect to much from individual games. Winning against the 'lower' teams isn't a given, we (and the other big countries) don't always do it. However, I don't think we played well, apart from the first half hour when Serbia were too timid.

I think people moan about Southgate for the sake of it, or because they can’t with their club team.

No, that's not it.

When we beat Villa 1-0, Forest 1-0 and AEK 1-0, under the cosh for large spells, I didn’t leave thinking wow how crap, RDZ is an imbecile

That's because the players at Brighton's disposal are not miles better than Villa, Forest and AEK.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I get this. But how much responsiblity do the player have to take? Foden and Kane were two standouts for being well below par and did not look interested.....is this mainly down to Southgate?
He can do something about it though, how many goals did Watkins get last year?

Not exactly poor options to have, players are allowed to have off games, up to the manager to manage that situation

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But Potter wouldn’t need as much time to either coach, or buy, players to fit the way he wants to play. At the international level you can just choose them. And he’ll have higher quality players who by this definition can adapt quicker to his system. In short I don’t buy the time argument.
He had higher quality players at Chelsea and from what I could make out made a complete mess of it.
Dropping senior players for youngsters for no apparent reason, tried to play Sterling as a WB, dropped Aubameyang who had scored goals to give Potter early Chelsea success.
I’m not convinced he’s this top coach certain posters rave about and would be way out of his depth as England manager.
Would be amusing though especially as I’m not an England fan.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Foden looked lost and frustrated last night. Kane did a job, not very glamorous but in the end he helped us get over the line. The result was the most important thing and we’re in the driving seat for the group. The friendly v Iceland was a wake up/bring us down to earth lesson.
I don’t think we’ll win it, I never did but that was a good result against vey robust opposition. Stones looked rusty.
Foden is a great team player for City. Needs to do it for England but I’m not sure how.

Bottom line. Southgate got us the result and a great platform. Do we want calypso football and get caught out? I don’t.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Foden looked lost and frustrated last night. Kane did a job, not very glamorous but in the end he helped us get over the line. The result was the most important thing and we’re in the driving seat for the group. The friendly v Iceland was a wake up/bring us down to earth lesson.
I don’t think we’ll win it, I never did but that was a good result against vey robust opposition. Stones looked rusty.
Foden is a great team player for City. Needs to do it for England but I’m not sure how.

Bottom line. Southgate got us the result and a great platform. Do we want calypso football and get caught out? I don’t.

You also grow into a tournament , something Southgate has also taught us.

For a first game that was fine.

We'll see the real England when we are up against it v a top side. Recent years we are fine with that and have just been unlucky. Maybe luck will help us this time.

I don't think we will win it but we certainly could do

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
You also grow into a tournament , something Southgate has also taught us.

For a first game that was fine.

We'll see the real England when we are up against it v a top side. Recent years we are fine with that and have just been unlucky. Maybe luck will help us this time.

I don't think we will win it but we certainly could do
Were we unlucky though in these crucial games. To me it just seems like a pattern.

Croatia.

World cup russia.Go 1 up (like yesterday) and proceed to gradually deteriorate as the match went on. Like yesterday. Deservedly beaten by a better team in the end. Despite us having much better players overall.

Italy euros

Go 1 up (like yesterday) and proceed to gradually deteriorate as the match went on. Like yesterday. Go out on penalties like we usually do. But ultimately we were clear favourites and we blew it because of bad management.

France world cup.

We competed ok. Came back from one down. But France just turned up the performance when it mattered and beat us. Really frustratingly they were very far from full strength.

I can't see how it's gonna go any different this time with Southgate in charge.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Were we unlucky though in these crucial games. To me it just seems like a pattern.

Croatia.

World cup russia.Go 1 up (like yesterday) and proceed to gradually deteriorate as the match went on. Like yesterday. Deservedly beaten by a better team in the end. Despite us having much better players overall.

Italy euros

Go 1 up (like yesterday) and proceed to gradually deteriorate as the match went on. Like yesterday. Go out on penalties like we usually do. But ultimately we were clear favourites and we blew it because of bad management.

France world cup.

We competed ok. Came back from one down. But France just turned up the performance when it mattered and beat us. Really frustratingly they were very far from full strength.

I can't see how it's gonna go any different this time with Southgate in charge.
Croatia we did go down hill but we also had Delli Ali and Ashley Young playing. Also Croatia were top quality.

Italy - we lost on pens , thats just unlucky

France - We were the better side and missed a pen at crucial time

Its all fine lines. We now have Bellingham !

Its just a shame we lost so heavily last night isnt it !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here