Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europe <> Relegation

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We could also wait until the season is over completely, so we know for a fact. Bet you were the only kid that could sleep on Christmas eve, expecting Father Christmas to either miss your house entirely or just lay a turd in your stocking.

Not too far from the truth!

All I said, in the wake of Watford and talk of Europe was 'come back to me after Villa'.

I'm waiting...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No……we’ll end up about 12th I reckon. Large element of ‘what might have been’ but further evidence of progress overall. Lots of work to do on contract discussions and key coaching positions etc in the coming months if we’re going to see any further progress next season. A very flat few weeks ahead.

Not sure about 12th but don't think we will get relegated either . As you say very much a 'what might have been' season but IMO we need to address the future and test some of our younger players - maybe wait until we get another 3 points but soon the younger players need to be given chance especially Ferguson to see how far off he is as a replacement for Wellbeck .

Also need to understand who will be the CBs and will Ostigard , Roberts or Clarke be regulars because we need to have 4 or 5 decent centre backs if we are going to continue with 3 at the back and if we don't continue with the strategy then we need a proper LB & RB .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think we'll end up a lot closer to relegation than europe.

In the last 2 seasons we've not improved up front, we're scoring less goals, so backwards IMO, no depth

Yes we have a better midfield and some new players growing into the matchday squad . . . Our prog rock play is second to none.

Our defence has been superb, but has been weakened twice, so another negative. We're good on a good day but a bit 70's sports car . . . unreliable and fragile since depletion.

After the last 2 game performances and looking at our next 4 fixtures, I don't see where any points are coming from. We're capable of doing a job on Newcastle, but everything says to me Newcastle will get a point at the very least.

IF the players have eased off then they need a ****ing good kicking, we're only just over halfway through the season and 7 points from relax mode.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not too far from the truth!

All I said, in the wake of Watford and talk of Europe was 'come back to me after Villa'.

I'm waiting...

I came back and congratulated you for the wisdom you showed. Still think having hopes of beating Burnley and Villa at home, which would have had us within 3 points of 7th place, was not particularly delusional though. So glad that someone on here can have some satisfaction from 0 points from the last 2 home games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I came back and congratulated you for the wisdom you showed. Still think having hopes of beating Burnley and Villa at home, which would have had us within 3 points of 7th place, was not particularly delusional though. So glad that someone on here can have some satisfaction from 0 points from the last 2 home games.
No it wasn't - although 0 points was considerably easier to predict than 6.

Yet with 6 The Giddy Goats would have been hinting at Top 4 - because they're never satisfied.
The optimists would be talking of 5,6 & 7.
All us half emptiers would have been left with is Top 10. Hardly a chore.
(While secretly renewing their passport after 2 years of procrastination)

There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with the dream.
Just do it properly not all Billy Big Bollox after beating Wat-f**kin-ford.

If posters are going to behave so tinpotly then they should get called out for being tinpot.

It doesn't take the biggest leap to faith to now see us surprising Liverpool.
At which point the whole shebang starts up again as The Giddy Goats find their voice and desperate need to challenge those who've said the past 3 games just haven't been good enough.

Completely omitting the fact that the last 3 games haven't been good enough.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No it wasn't - although 0 points was considerably easier to predict than 6.

Yet with 6 The Giddy Goats would have been hinting at Top 4 - because they're never satisfied.
The optimists would be talking of 5,6 & 7.
All us half emptiers would have been left with is Top 10. Hardly a chore.
(While secretly renewing their passport after 2 years of procrastination)

There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with the dream.
Just do it properly not all Billy Big Bollox after beating Wat-f**kin-ford.

If posters are going to behave so tinpotly then they should get called out for being tinpot.

It doesn't take the biggest leap to faith to now see us surprising Liverpool.
At which point the whole shebang starts up again as The Giddy Goats find their voice and desperate need to challenge those who've said the past 3 games just haven't been good enough.

Completely omitting the fact that the last 3 games haven't been good enough.

I am sure there is an old adage about not getting to high after a win or too low after a defeat.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Difficult to disagree with this; and I suppose if we end up 15th with 42 points it is technically an improvement, but hardly a statistically significant one. We have been luckier this season IMO (can't quantify this but just feels like we are not getting games like Man U home, Palace home and WBA away that we had last season) that explains most if not all of the 7 points improvement (and, though I haven't looked it up, suspect this seasons last 12 games are more challenging than last season's).

I think we were luckier earlier on in the season, we are going through a rough patch in many ways at the moment.

I don't know where we will end up this year but continued improvement will do me until we sort out the goal-scoring problem anyway. 15th and 42 points will be fairly underwhelming though after the season we have had. I am still hopeful of a little more than that though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here