Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Europa League odds

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Those are only the odds for now. Things will change dramatically when the Champions League sides drop down. Every chance we'll get a Sevilla or an AC Milan coming down.
I don't think the odds will change based on that. The bookies and punters driving the odds know full well that the 3rd place CL teams drop down following the group stage, so It's not going to be a unexpected event when these teams come into the KO stage.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Unless a giant drops out the Champs league into the Europa there really isn’t one single team we can’t beat on our day in the competition. This is definitely our best ever chance of winning a trophy.
And even then, it's knockout football.

Our record against top sides stands up against anyone's, especially away.

And if a Barca or a Munich, do have a shocker and drop in, who knows, good chance someone else knocks them out

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We could well have a much better chance of winning this than the FA Cup or even League Cup. Partly depends how many huge clubs drop down from CL. But also need to consider how often big clubs put out reserves in the British cups (balanced out some if we also do that).

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Barca went "down" last season from memory. The eventual winners Sevilla did as well.

The nature of this competition is that as the weak teams bow out after the group stage, a load of strong ones are added.

But. We play well against better teams. City are the only team in Europe we have to fear. And I don't see them getting 3rd place.
Only City? I think we would struggle to break down Real madrid and im sure but Bayern, Barca etc would expect to beat us still but how amazing to be even considering the possibilty pf playing these sides one day and maybe.....

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I just had a look, was going to place a bet. The odds on us winning the Europa Cup are only 14-1. decided not to bother.

According to the bookies, we're 2nd favourite (behind Liverpool) to win.

Much as I'd love to be confident and think we have every change of topping our group, these odds seem really low to me.
I hate to be the mood moderator here.... but I think we may have to work bloody hard in this group..... all three of these sides are experienced campaigners in Europe.... they are all used to high intensity Euro atmospheres and the travel logistics involved ... we may, imho, play very competitive footy to rival most, but the overall Weds/Thurs/Fri travel overheads could easily have a negative effect on our lads.... I think we should be 'mid-table' when it comes to odds.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Only City? I think we would struggle to break down Real madrid and im sure but Bayern, Barca etc would expect to beat us still but how amazing to be even considering the possibilty pf playing these sides one day and maybe.....
All those clubs would be favourites to beat us. But against all of them we have a chance over two legs. Remember, against top 6 PL sides, we’re winning more than we’re losing

Against City, we have pretty much no chance, they are a level above us and all other teams in Europe.

Real Madrid, Munich, PSG. Tough. Very, very tough. But do-able

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
All those clubs would be favourites to beat us. But against all of them we have a chance over two legs. Remember, against top 6 PL sides, we’re winning more than we’re losing

Against City, we have pretty much no chance, they are a level above us and all other teams in Europe.

Real Madrid, Munich, PSG. Tough. Very, very tough. But do-able
It's all hypothetical of course and only small differences (IMO) between which of them would provide the sternest opposition, but I actually think we'd have a better chance against City than Real Madrid (slim at best on both counts, but we'd be more likely to get an open game with City). I see more chance of being West Hammed, or Evertoned (albeit a luxury version) against Madrid. We have a relatively decent recent record against Man City, so as long as the final's a dead rubber we'll be fine :lolol:

EDIT: BTW I don't think PSG belongs in that list of toughest opponents. I'd be relatively confident compared to games vs City, Real or Bayern. :)

Just having these discussions is pretty mental... o_O

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Self-confidence is a good thing but let’s keep our feet on the ground. No club in this competition is going to roll over for us, and certainly not AEK, Ajax or Marseille, nor Liverpool or West Ham, nor Roma, Leverkusen, Atalanta… not to mention the 8 CL sides due to join the competition in the spring. If we get out of the group I’ll be delighted. It wouldn’t be totally unexpected but nor is it anything like the certainty that some think. Each game as it comes, and all that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
this is definitely our best ever chance of winning a trophy.
I'm not having that.

Our BEST chance of winning a trophy, was when we were one ('easy') game from Wembley in the Southern Area Final of the Johnson's Paint Trophy, before we travelled to Luton and Adams, Kuipers, Virgo and our penalty takers conspired to f*** it up.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
If we don't get stage fright and play our football, I'm feeling confident we may do something special in this competition.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we don't get stage fright and play our football, I'm feeling confident we may do something special in this competition.
Indeed. I think some people are overstating the significance of our lack of experience.

Fulham, Middlesbrough, Rangers (twice) and Celtic have all made the final in the past 20 years and our current side is arguably better than all of them.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Indeed. I think some people are overstating the significance of our lack of experience.

Fulham, Middlesbrough, Rangers (twice) and Celtic have all made the final in the past 20 years and our current side is arguably better than all of them.
For me it's the rate of games that's the issue. Squad is gonna be stretched. Look at arsenal last season, went out to sporting which was very disappointing. Man u got thrashed by Seville who finished 12th in la Liga.

Premier league is the hardest in the world by a mile.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me it's the rate of games that's the issue. Squad is gonna be stretched. Look at arsenal last season, went out to sporting which was very disappointing. Man u got thrashed by Seville who finished 12th in la Liga.

Premier league is the hardest in the world by a mile.
But Arsenal weren't prioritising the competition - they were after the title. Man Utd were similarly more bothered about top 4 than going deep into this competition. They're also both big clubs a bit jaded by "lesser" European competition.

For us it's very different. Our players and officials are thinking about making history, enhancing the club's status and profile, and the fans are basically enjoying the experience. We'll take thousands to Amsterdam knowing it might never happen again. I think our team is good enough to be very competitive too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here