Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europa Conference League

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can’t help thinking all these euro threads are going to make us looks a bit silly come the end of the season. Whilst an excellent season we seem to be one step forward one step back when it come to trying to clinch a top 6/7 place.

In true Albion fashion we just got handed a 5-1 defeat by a side that hadn’t previously won for seven games and only won three under Dyche since he took over.

Now it appears we are cruising to the knockouts in a competition we haven’t yet qualified for or ever played in.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can’t help thinking all these euro threads are going to make us looks a bit silly come the end of the season. Whilst an excellent season we seem to be one step forward one step back when it come to trying to clinch a top 6/7 place.

In true Albion fashion we just got handed a 5-1 defeat by a side that hadn’t previously won for seven games and only won three under Dyche since he took over.

Now it appears we are cruising to the knockouts in a competition we haven’t yet qualified for or ever played in.
You mean we could dead parrot sketch being in 7th with 2 games in hand on everyone around us and West Ham battling relegation all season ahead in the semi final?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Uefa really have to take a long hard look at themselves. Even though it is the lesser of their three competitions, to award the final to a stadium that holds 20,000 is ludicrous. West Ham play in front of 60,000 at the London Stadium. If they get to the final, they will get 5000 tickets. Not only is that patently unfair, it invites thousands of ticketless fans to make the journey out there, in the hope of finding touts/spares etc at vastly inflated prices. How can you give corporate 50% of a small stadium. It stinks.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Agreed.

Especially this one! We want the Europa League thanks!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I reckon this competition is going to go the way of the fairs cup, Anglo Scots cup and so on.

Nobody is really interested until the last 8 (at best) and when sponsors abandon it, it'll be consigned to the dustbin. If we finish 8th rather than 7th, I don't think I'll care. On the other hand, I'd be gutted if we blow 6th on the last day of the season. And frankly, I'm steeling myself for that to happen. This Everton disaster will haunt us as much as the major VAR injustices.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Indeed....but if we slip up v Arse and Toon, then we will be struggling for even Europe Conference.
Spot on. But if we win all our remaining matches, I think we’ll pip Manure to the 4th Champions League spot (on goal difference, 70 points).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Spot on. But if we win all our remaining matches, I think we’ll pip Manure to the 4th Champions League spot (on goal difference, 70 points).
I'd put the likelihood of that happening on a par with the chance of Southampton staying up. All over bar the shouting.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There

Naaah... only those who have their heart set on Europe will look silly. The fact that we're STILL talking about the possibility of making Europe this deep into the season should be embraced and enjoyed. We may not have these conversations and debates again, we can't predict what will happen next season, maybe Tony can, but for mere mortals like ourselves, this could be the best it ever gets for us.

No entitlement here.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I reckon this competition is going to go the way of the fairs cup, Anglo Scots cup and so on.

Nobody is really interested until the last 8 (at best) and when sponsors abandon it, it'll be consigned to the dustbin. If we finish 8th rather than 7th, I don't think I'll care. On the other hand, I'd be gutted if we blow 6th on the last day of the season. And frankly, I'm steeling myself for that to happen. This Everton disaster will haunt us as much as the major VAR injustices.
Didn't the 'Fairs Cup', become the 'Eufa Cup', which in turn became the 'Europa League' - ie: just what we're hoping to get into?!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uefa really have to take a long hard look at themselves. Even though it is the lesser of their three competitions, to award the final to a stadium that holds 20,000 is ludicrous. West Ham play in front of 60,000 at the London Stadium. If they get to the final, they will get 5000 tickets. Not only is that patently unfair, it invites thousands of ticketless fans to make the journey out there, in the hope of finding touts/spares etc at vastly inflated prices. How can you give corporate 50% of a small stadium. It stinks.
UEFA shouldn't be allowing teams from the top 5 leagues in it at all, the whole point of this cup was to give smaller nations a chance.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That's probably why the OP put '...if we qualify...' in their post...

Nothing wrong with that post and nothing wrong if the goal of European football is not achieved. It's almost nailed on to be progress in terms of league position from last year and you can't miss what you didn't have in the first place.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
UEFA shouldn't be allowing teams from the top 5 leagues in it at all, the whole point of this cup was to give smaller nations a chance.
They'll feel they need some "prestige" sides in there to attract enough sponsorship, I'm sure.

I agree with you in principle but sadly I don't think it's realistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here