Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] EU Customs Union

If a vote were to be held to remain outside the EU but rejoin the Customs Union, how would you vote?

• Rejoin the Customs Union

Votes: 171 87.7%
  • Remain outside a Customs Union

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • I wouldn’t vote

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Dunno

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
So, the Brexit thread is (understandably) heated and wide-ranging, I wanted to ask a narrower technical question, without getting into the hows and whys of how we got here in the first place.

If there were a referendum now on re-entering a customs union with the EU, how would you vote?

I’m not asking about rejoining the EU, just entering a customs union with it as a trading partner.

I’d obviously appreciate it if people could not replicate the wider discussions of the Brexit thread, be kind to each other and respect different views.

@Bozza - I’ve not done this before, if it’s not permitted or turns into a horror show, by all means bin it off.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only way to get the economy back on a relatively stable footing, free up exports, boost GDP and fill the gaps on our supermarket shelves is to rejoin the single market & customs union. There is no magic, post Brexit alternative.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Starmer has such a massive lead in the polls that he should IMO, put this in the Labour Manifesto.

In fact, he should include a second referendum in the manifesto - but will he?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Import and export must decrease or it is as the expense of the planets inhabitableness. Trade, transport and consumption must decrease and the easiest way to do it is to make it more expensive and difficult. Any obstacle that decrease trade is a good one and normally decreases the ecological footprint. Make exceptions and negotitate agreements for necessitities, but import and export of foreign luxuries and fun-to-have-shit must stop, and this goes for all countries. If the custom unions would have a policy of making trade more difficult, then it would be wise to join.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Cameron should never have offered an ill-informed electorate the chance to leave, but now rejoining the CU and SM is a no-brainer.
Jeeez. Democracy, let's get rid of votes altogether.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Starmer has such a massive lead in the polls that he should IMO, put this in the Labour Manifesto.

I voted join the customs union.

I don't mind Starmer leaving this for now. In this Brighton & Hove bubble, we don't get the angry anti-EU sentiment, it's still there, in Midlands and Northern marginal seats. Get over the line first. An overall majority means Starmer can say sod-off to ever scheming Mary Doll Nesbitt.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'd go further and join the Single Market as well.

A massive boost to GDP, and a fix for the Northern Ireland Protocol in one go.

Get it Done.
This with bells on!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Brexit is way too toxic for this or the next Government to touch but rejoining the customs union would bring a huge boost to the economy. The markets would react in the opposite way they did to the economy tanking mini-budget. Confidence in this country around the globe would go through the roof.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Brexit is way too toxic for this or the next Government to touch but rejoining the customs union would bring a huge boost to the economy. The markets would react in the opposite way they did to the economy tanking mini-budget. Confidence in this country around the globe would go through the roof.
If Starmer has a HUGE majority, which is highly likely, he could easily call a second referendum, especially if it's included in the manifesto.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If there's one way that Labour could hand the Tories an unlikely and undeserved, it would be by offering a second referendum (remember, the rest of the country is wildly out of step with NSC!) The reason the Tories got in was because people felt they were the only party they could trust to honour the referendun.

As far as rejoining a customs union, I'd broadly be in favour, but I'd want to see the terms and conditions first.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Starmer has a HUGE majority, which is highly likely, he could easily call a second referendum, especially if it's included in the manifesto.
Well, if he wants to dramatically snatch defeat form the jaws of victory the red wedge will stay blue..................

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The French and Spanish looting the UK's fishing grounds is a massive political issue. How would joining the Custome Union affect it?
The only way to fix that would be to go back 15 years and stop the families / companies who held the UK fishing quotas / rights selling them to the highest bidder. Most of the 'foreign' ships fishing our waters are doing so with UK quotas etc. Leaving Europe caused more problems for UK fishing than it fixed. Most of the fish we catch here is exported and Brexit messed that up royally.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If there's one way that Labour could hand the Tories an unlikely and undeserved, it would be by offering a second referendum (remember, the rest of the country is wildly out of step with NSC!) The reason the Tories got in was because people felt they were the only party they could trust to honour the referendun.

As far as rejoining a customs union, I'd broadly be in favour, but I'd want to see the terms and conditions first.
Why would you want to see them, you didn't want to see the terms and conditions of the alternative when you voted out of the Customs Union :shrug:

Only 22 months out of the Customs Union and an overwhelming majority to re-join (or create a 'Vassal State'). Who'd have thought :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here