Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Established Premier League team"

Which clubs are an "established Premier League team"?

• Manchester City

Votes: 63 88.7%
  • Liverpool

Votes: 67 94.4%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 63 88.7%
  • Spurs

Votes: 64 90.1%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 65 91.5%
  • Manchester United

Votes: 66 93.0%
  • West Ham

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • Wolves

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Crystal Palace

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Leicester

Votes: 47 66.2%
  • Aston Villa

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Southampton

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Brighton

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Brentford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Leeds

• Everton

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Burnley

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Watford

• Norwich

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We are only a couple of poor decisions and a run of bad luck away from being relegated. In this sense there aren't that many established sides in the premier League. Maybe 6 or 8, and up until recently one of those was Everton.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I only ticked the top 6 + LCFC.

The rest - have been relegated this century and/or are in a huge mess just now and/or a few injuries or bad change of manager could see them relegated.

I see NUFC, Villa and West Ham joining the established 7 as their spending escalates. Relegation for any of the 10 increasingly remote.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Someone considers Liverpool more established tham Manure, strange as United have won far more Prem titles.

Surely established and successful are 2 different things? Winning titles is successful but doesn’t automatically equate to being established. (It wasn’t me in the poll, on Tapatalk so can’t see it.)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Beyond the big 6 (and probably going forwards, Newcastle), anyone COULD feasible slip out, but there's a good number more, that you really wouldn't expect to.

I've therefore decided that my definition (as of today) of established, is 'you'd be really surprised if they got relegated, in say the next three years'

As such I have voted for every team except: Brighton, Brentford, Leeds, Palace, Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Saints, Newcastle.

Note I have voted Everton as 'established' although they are about to not be, and voted Newcastle as NOT established, but are about to become so...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swansea (7 seasons) looked quite established, and obviously Fulham when they were up for 12 or 13 straight seasons.

In their cases ownership changes proved fatal. Swansea sold their clubs to yanks, abandoned their model and started to invest a bunch of money in "established players" (who were expensive and shite) and changed playing style from one similar to todays Brighton to a more "normal" style. In Fulhams case Mohamed Al-Fayed sold the club in 2013, the Khan family took over and seriously underestimated what it takes to be a PL club.

For WBA and Stoke it was different. The Coates family apparently got tired of the clubs reputation as dull and destructive and started to ship out experienced does-a-job players replacing them with expensive shit from abroad. WBA arguably died of natural causes, they survived for years on having a strong starting eleven and once they had a few injuries it was a safe and quick journey to relegation.

Generally speaking radical changes in style and transfer strategy seems to be the dangers to "non-rich" clubs. Tony Bloom took a chance in 2019, it worked out, in a lot of cases it doesnt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I always thought of West Brom as a yo-yo club in the 2010s. Whenever we got promoted to the Championship, they went up to the PL, and when we got relegated, so did they.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Any team can only be as established as their income . . . its all about money.

So Man City are established, if the arabs walk away they'll be back in Div 2 quick enough.

likewise Toon, Chelski etc

I guess Manure and Liverpool are established and stable enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Top six, Leicester and Everton. That's it.

In case anyone thinks its just about number of consecutive seasons, Oldham had seven, and Wimbledon had fourteen.

I include Leicester and Everton because one recently won the league and the other has been there so long (and won the league several times) that until they actually are relegated it would be churlish to say that are not established.

I can remember Spuds and ManUre playing in division 2, but I would argue they have re-established themselves now.

As for the likes of Villa, Stains, Wolves and Palace, no, these clubs have been down too recently and could easily drop out in the next ten years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I only ticked the top 6 + LCFC.

The rest - have been relegated this century and/or are in a huge mess just now and/or a few injuries or bad change of manager could see them relegated.

I see NUFC, Villa and West Ham joining the established 7 as their spending escalates. Relegation for any of the 10 increasingly remote.

Precisely (although I included Everton too; a moot point but if they stay up they will do far better next season).

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
We should consider ourselves established now, We are the only club to not be relegated from the EPL with the word Albion in the team name,see it's not all doom and gloom.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
West Brom were a side that, to me at least, felt like they were "established" - they'd tread water in mid-table mediocrity in the 2010s until they were relegated and that was that.

And, five seasons in, are we "established"?

Just been talking to a work colleague who supports WBA. He was telling me this will be the first season in 22 years where it looks like they will finish lower than Top 6 in The Championship!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Someone considers Liverpool more established tham Manure, strange as United have won far more Prem titles.
Liverpool have been relegated from the top flight less often than Manchester United, won more first division titles than Man. U. and have been continuously in the top flight now for more than ten years longer than Man U. They've won the PL more recenty than Man U, and have won more European Cups/Champions League.
'Someone ' might have a point!

SAC

May 21, 2014
Precisely (although I included Everton too; a moot point but if they stay up they will do far better next season).

We seem to say that every season and every season they do comparatively badly (although never quite as badly as this season).

The PL is 30 years old. Established means long time or generally accepted. Few clubs are in the former category but most clubs will be in the generally accepted category. Which makes it so sweet when one of the established PL clubs does badly.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Liverpool have been relegated from the top flight less often than Manchester United, won more first division titles than Man. U. and have been continuously in the top flight now for more than ten years longer than Man U. They've won the PL more recenty than Man U, and have won more European Cups/Champions League.
'Someone ' might have a point!

I get ‘your’ drift. But this was not asking about the top flight, or European stuff, just PL.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Given that so many, myself included, worry more about relegation than anything else most of the time, although we've only once been close to it, and even though we have only spent days in the bottom three since promotion, no I would certainly not say that we are anywhere near established :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me, 'established premier league team' means you've survived long enough to be seen as a regular there (and/or had a number of seasons without looking over your shoulder), but not that you're safe from relegation. Everton are showing how easy it is to be at risk of going down, despite being one of the mainstays of the division. Similar has happened (and can easily again) to many of the teams that are currently showing as popularly considered established (West Ham, Wolves, Palace, villa, leicester, southampton).

el punal

How many seasons in the Premier League before a club can be considered "established", or is it the case that anyone outside of the top few are always just a rogue owner, bad managerial appointment or dodgy transfer window away from the Championship trapdoor.

West Brom were a side that, to me at least, felt like they were "established" - they'd tread water in mid-table mediocrity in the 2010s until they were relegated and that was that.

Of course we’re established. Every club in the Premier League is established until such time that that nasty little trapdoor of not enough points opens up and you fall into the abyss of the lower leagues. One bad season could affect ANY team with relegation (refer to Everton here, who have been in the top flight since the 1950s).

Yes, I’m being slightly pedantic with my reasoning - the chances of Liverpool, Man.City/United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea exiting the PL are remote compared with the likes of us and other “lesser” clubs. Fortunes can change at the drop of hat and can affect any club. You never know, in the current political climate Chelsea could suffer dramatically in the near future.

My view is that every team in the Premier League is there on merit and deservedly so. Most relish the challenge and know the chance of a trophy/ European qualification is just about nil (us!) and some regard that anything other than a top four finish is abject failure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here