Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] England v Wales tonight

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I was gonna end my self imposed ban from England threads until the euros with a jokey we’re gonna win the Euros and WC post but instead I’ll go serious after the fun of this thread.

There is a serious NSC obsession with being negative about England, boasting about not watching on every match thread etc etc and it’s quite frankly pathetic.

Tonight was a needless game, but far from pointless. We have young talent. Ok we’re not the best in the world but we’re better than some would have you believe - top 10 for sure.

We’ve had some posters loving it and posting constantly when the game was drab for half hour. Then they go and don’t comment when we start playing well and winning - it’s embarrassing from some.

I’ve read several posts about how ‘dull’ and boring England are under Southgate - a team who averaged the highest goals for comfortably in the recent qualifying campaign (nearly 5 per game! 2 more than Spain!) A team who took Spain apart on their own patch. A team who reached the World Cup semi final. It’s like some hate our country doing well... and can’t answer to the facts. Yes we’re not the best in defence but our attack is world class.

Yes I’m passionate and maybe a broken record so some will enjoy my positivity being off the England threads so you can wallow and enjoy the ‘who can be the most negative’ wankfest on the threads. But you were all wrapped up in the feel good performances and team of the World Cup. Short memories, changing of history - negative people.

England Til I Die - and nothing will change that :thumbsup: See the fair and real posters at the Euros - well prob just the threads :thumbsup:

I’m always a fan of England, but tonight was a wash out game. I half watched it, but it was completely meaningless, especially without fans.

Am also increasingly dissatisfied with Southgate as our manager for various reasons.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I was gonna end my self imposed ban from England threads until the euros with a jokey we’re gonna win the Euros and WC post but instead I’ll go serious after the fun of this thread.

There is a serious NSC obsession with being negative about England, boasting about not watching on every match thread etc etc and it’s quite frankly pathetic.

Tonight was a needless game, but far from pointless. We have young talent. Ok we’re not the best in the world but we’re better than some would have you believe - top 10 for sure.

We’ve had some posters loving it and posting constantly when the game was drab for half hour. Then they go and don’t comment when we start playing well and winning - it’s embarrassing from some.

I’ve read several posts about how ‘dull’ and boring England are under Southgate - a team who averaged the highest goals for comfortably in the recent qualifying campaign (nearly 5 per game! 2 more than Spain!) A team who took Spain apart on their own patch. A team who reached the World Cup semi final. It’s like some hate our country doing well... and can’t answer to the facts. Yes we’re not the best in defence but our attack is world class.

Yes I’m passionate and maybe a broken record so some will enjoy my positivity being off the England threads so you can wallow and enjoy the ‘who can be the most negative’ wankfest on the threads. But you were all wrapped up in the feel good performances and team of the World Cup. Short memories, changing of history - negative people.

England Til I Die - and nothing will change that :thumbsup: See the fair and real posters at the Euros - well prob just the threads :thumbsup:

Well said, nothing wrong with justifiable criticism, either of selection and or performance, but always try and get behind the National side, and enjoy watching when they play to their potential. There are some great young English players around atm

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I liked you when you had a self imposed ban on England threads.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

This. If you don't want to watch don't, but the right on hip I hate England bollocks is tedious and so repetitive.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Prefer it this way. When we got to the WC semis , it was embarrassing everyone jumping ont he bandwagon being football experts.

The negativity is amusing , we got to the semis last tournament and had a brilliant run in the nations league or whatever it is called. Since then the team looks stronger and if the tournament started tomorrow , it's be a good watch.

The southgate knockers bit comical , Dunk exclusion for me is fair. It's just blue and white tinted views.

The negative nellies hopefully will stay away.

What is pleasing recently is the striking options. We have been light for a while but Calvert Lewin / Kane / Ings is actually a decent few options who all bring something different.

England outlook is a B+ at the moment

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Although I was very negative about our team selection it worked out nicely as the Welsh selected an even worse side. Dull as anything to start off with but once Calvert-Lewin had scored it was just a matter of how many we could rack up.

In terms of the actualy neccesity of it all I really think international and European club football should be suspended until Covid is far more under control, thus allowing clubs to control their own players in terms of compliance. Is it really necessary to fly all round the world to play friendlies and Nations Leage games? Does the Europa League matter that much? We've seen several very promising England players having to be dropped, not because they are bad but because they broke Covid protocols. And Connolly may well come back from RoI duty with Covd. Not good.

But I admire your passion. I'll always watch an England game and want us to win and remain jealous of a couple of good mates of mine who have seen the world watching England no matter what.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I agree with you - and have probably been following England a lot longer than you - the first World Cup I went to was Spain in 82

I don't get the negativity either - but with Southgate in charge it's hard to be enthusiastic. Coady and Grealish should have been in the England squad months ago - but were only picked because of injuries etc. Southgate says he picks players on form - but he clearly doesn't - he goes by reputation and who the player plays for.

He got lucky in Russia with the draw - can't see us getting beyond the 1/4 s next year - hope I'm wrong.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The best thing of the whole evening was the commentator on ITV suggesting one of the reasons Southgate likes Calvert Lewin is because when he first met Gareth Southgate he took his cap off to greet him, as some kind of ‘gesture’ of respect I assume. Whoever it was early in this thread that said ITV commentators spend more time talking about nonsense than the game were certainly proved correct.

Also enjoyed Chris Coleman telling us all what TOP LADS all the wales players are, guess what Chris? Nobody cares. :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree with you - and have probably been following England a lot longer than you - the first World Cup I went to was Spain in 82

I don't get the negativity either - but with Southgate in charge it's hard to be enthusiastic. Coady and Grealish should have been in the England squad months ago - but were only picked because of injuries etc. Southgate says he picks players on form - but he clearly doesn't - he goes by reputation and who the player plays for.

He got lucky in Russia with the draw - can't see us getting beyond the 1/4 s next year - hope I'm wrong.

I agree too and (playing top trumps here) I've been watching England since the 60s, mostly on tv but have been to Wembley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here