Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v New Zealand - 1st Test - Lords

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He wil be banned and rightly so, I guess the question is for how long. Given the right rehabilitation surely a 3/4 match van and warning over his future conduct alongside an awareness course would suffice.

Hi Crodo...I don’t agree...we are talking about a person who made comments in his youth...how do you know he hasn’t ‘rehabilitated’ himself...yes he is on the international stage...and we live in a world where everything comes under the microscope.....I just think it’s very unfair...oh well opinions eh :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He wil be banned and rightly so, I guess the question is for how long. Given the right rehabilitation surely a 3/4 match van and warning over his future conduct alongside an awareness course would suffice.

Warned about future conduct?
Why would that be necessary?
The tweets were from 2012/13.
They also mark him out as an unfunny idiot (at the time) rather than a hardcore racist and sexist.
He should not have been banned

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Hi Crodo...I don’t agree...we are talking about a person who made comments in his youth...how do you know he hasn’t ‘rehabilitated’ himself...yes he is on the international stage...and we live in a world where everything comes under the microscope.....I just think it’s very unfair...oh well opinions eh :)

Absolutely. Statute of limitations in many areas in law. 9 years ago, it’s their failure not his. That is all that could be dug up on him, nothing further in the interim. He’s been hung out to dry.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Seemingly banned whilst there is an 'investigation'. And Vaughan says "He has got to go away, learn and educate himself - and become a better person for it."

Not sure what more he can learn that he hasn't learnt in the last 8-9 years. How will he show he's 'learnt' - when he obviously already has, given he hasn't seemingly tweeted similar since. And not sure what there is to 'investigate'?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is no way that England team could possibly have chased that target. If they had tried they would have lost all the top order for under 100 within 20 overs.

They are just not good enough. Why the standard of English batsmanship has collapsed so abject and so recently, I have no idea.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
All the players appeared in anti-discrimination t-shirts on the first day of the test. The ECB have no choice but to ban him or it looks like they are not taking their own campaign seriously.

So where do you draw the line?

Let’s go through all the tweets and comments that everyone associated with the England cricket team has made over the last 30 years. I’m sure we could find a friendly journo to do it....

I’m pretty sure Robinson wouldn’t be the only one.

This is almost McCarthyite.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Seemingly banned whilst there is an 'investigation'. And Vaughan says "He has got to go away, learn and educate himself - and become a better person for it."
A
Not sure what more he can learn that he hasn't learnt in the last 8-9 years. How will he show he's 'learnt' - when he obviously already has, given he hasn't seemingly tweeted similar since. And not sure what there is to 'investigate'?

Exactly. He has learnt, that’s why Ollie still has a career and didn’t allow his youthful self destroy it. Ollie’s failing as youngster were well known at the time and thankfully at Sussex he was able to take another path and redeem himself. The thanks he gets for doing that is this humiliation? A weak decision in my view and sets a bad precedent for punishing players for things they said as a child it is not a good one.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
At the conclusion of the match on Sunday, England captain Joe Root said the tweets were "not acceptable".

"Ollie had has made a huge mistake," Root told BBC Test Match Special. "He fronted up to the dressing room and the rest of the world, and he's very remorseful."

Robinson returned match figures of 7-101 and scored 42 in his only innings against New Zealand.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan told BBC Sport: "He has got to go away, learn and educate himself - and become a better person for it.

Wise words, learn your lesson and become a better person for it.

:clap:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
There is no way that England team could possibly have chased that target. If they had tried they would have lost all the top order for under 100 within 20 overs.

They are just not good enough. Why the standard of English batsmanship has collapsed so abject and so recently, I have no idea.

I know it's cricket, and results matter at the end of the day (literally), but I wish in a way England had tried to go for it even cautiously. Showed
some guts.
By about 3.15, it was pointless watching - so I turned over to the triathlon coverage.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not sure if you mean that those teams would have attempted to chase that target, or would have succeeded. Scoring at any sort of rate in those conditions, against a quality bowling attack, is extremely difficult. Chasing 270+ in the last innings is extremely difficult in general. You're pretty much relying on somebody in the top 3 coming up with a Greenidge-esque innings to manage it with any sort of time restriction.

The link below is to a list of 270+ scores in the last innings at Lords. There are only 2 wins there, and only 3 of them (the three largest) were scored at the rate England required today.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...score;template=results;type=team;view=innings

I'd have loved England to try and chase the target, but would have fully expected them to lose trying.

Yes, agree with all of this. No idea how others can come to a different point of view.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, agree with all of this. No idea how others can come to a different point of view.

Here's the last test of the Australia v India series India were set 329 in 100 overs and got them with three overs to spare. That's not far from the 273 in 75 overs that England were asked to get, lower RR but a higher score.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...tralia-vs-india-4th-test-1223872/match-report

And don't forget that in the previous test, India were chasing more than 400 and were giving that a go (and only played for the draw after losing two quick wickets and getting an injury to Vihari - and already missing Jadeja)

Like I said, India would go for such a target. I'm not quite sure why people are disagreeing with this - it was only four months ago when they demonstrated that they absolutely would

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot

You have no idea how people can think 3.6 an over across two sessions with 10 wickets in hand is not even worth a look? Really?

There weren't even any test championship points at stake! It was basically a free hit.

To not even try is to let down test cricket when the vultures are already circling. Not good enough, I'm afraid.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
You have no idea how people can think 3.6 an over across two sessions with 10 wickets in hand is not even worth a look? Really?

There weren't even any test championship points at stake! It was basically a free hit.

To not even try is to let down test cricket when the vultures are already circling. Not good enough, I'm afraid.

I don't think India where thinking about points and rankings when they did that thing they did .... which was awesome

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Exactly. He has learnt, that’s why Ollie still has a career and didn’t allow his youthful self destroy it. Ollie’s failing as youngster were well known at the time and thankfully at Sussex he was able to take another path and redeem himself. The thanks he gets for doing that is this humiliation? A weak decision in my view and sets a bad precedent for punishing players for things they said as a child it is not a good one.

Quite. As I've said before, most of us will have said dumb things when they were younger. The audience was just narrower. Let he who is without sin.

At the conclusion of the match on Sunday, England captain Joe Root said the tweets were "not acceptable".

"Ollie had has made a huge mistake," Root told BBC Test Match Special. "He fronted up to the dressing room and the rest of the world, and he's very remorseful."

Robinson returned match figures of 7-101 and scored 42 in his only innings against New Zealand.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan told BBC Sport: "He has got to go away, learn and educate himself - and become a better person for it.

Wise words, learn your lesson and become a better person for it.

:clap:

Yes. I did get a painful neck looking up at the lofty perch some of these opinions are coming from. If only everything we have ever said was recorded on a universal hard drive. Actually, perhaps not, everyone would be banned from everything.

The Hypocrisy awards ceremony would have too many candidates to count.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So where do you draw the line?

Let’s go through all the tweets and comments that everyone associated with the England cricket team has made over the last 30 years. I’m sure we could find a friendly journo to do it....

I’m pretty sure Robinson wouldn’t be the only one.

This is almost McCarthyite.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we applied retrospective judgements like that we'd be looking for a new prime minister now...

I wonder how many of those sitting in judgement on Ollie Robinson voted Johnson in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here