Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England Squad announcement shortly

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Southgate doesn't even know where Brighton is.

March and Dunk's omission is pathetic, especially when you see the players he's picked.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Eric Dier and Mason Mount ffs. I wouldn't put Mason Mount in our team let alone England.
I think Brighton would play England off the park if we played them next week.
Their forward line is potentially stronger than ours, but our Midfield is much better than theirs (Bellingham excepted)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It's a good job I'm not Tony Bloom/Paul Barber as I would ban from Southgate from the directors' box and make him pay for his own ticket!

The failure to pick any of Dunk, March or Colwill and yet pick any number of players who are out of form/not playing is ridiculous.
That won’t be necessary as Southgate never ventures this far south. ( the Palace connection seems to put him off, or his laziness)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Grealish is the obvious answer. Being picked on name alone. He has only three goals for Man City this season. He can only play on the left, where he should be being picked behind Rashford and Foden. Saka should start on the right and March would offer back up there, but could also play on the left if needed and give defensive cover on either side if the game demands it. March's goal last night gives him 7 goals in the EPL so far this season. This already surpasses Grealish's best ever return in a full league season, back when he was playing very well for Villa and Southgate was taking an age to call him up.

Toney should be nowhere near that squad. He shouldn't even be playing for Brentford at the moment. I'm not clear why there has been such a delay in his hearing when he has already admitted to many of the charges.

We know that, whatever the circumstances, he will always pick Maguire and never pick Dunk, so that comes as no surprise. Guehi and Dier instead of Tomori is just crazy.
Can't agree about Grealish at all, he's a quality player and having an excellent season for City, he's one of Guardiola's first picks. I'd obviously have March in the squad but certainly not at Grealish's expense.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Southgate's only speciality is being a great loser. He has never won a game against a team when England are not expected to win. He is able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Pick a team in the EPL or any other top division who would want Southgate?

Lewis Dunk is probably in the top 3 English CD's in the country, Maguire and Dier do not get in the top 10 (my opinion)

England will win nothing with Southgate in charge

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I wish people would stop associating his shiteness with Palace. He has that in his DNA. His Palace history is irrelevant. The useless helmet.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not surprised. The guy hasn’t got a clue. No Dunk, March, James Ward-Prowse… yet he picks Dier, Maguire and Phillips. Why?! Phillips has been a huge flop at Manchester City, is overweight and barely makes the bench with fitness/ability(!) issues.

But really not surprised. Useless.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
In his press conference from 2:30, in response to a question that asks particularly about Dunk, he pretty much says that he has made a decision about who his best players are, and that he won't ever be changing his mind. Its almost as if he thinks that footballers never get better or worse.

Fast forward a year or two, "yes, I know Solly and Lewis are excelling in the latter stages of the Champions League playing in an exceptional Brighton side that would utterly trounce this England team, BUT.. yada yada yada"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a useless squad. Regardless of any club-bias, the next WC is nearly four years away - needs to start refreshing/rebuilding now, so picking the same old same old that are ageing and looked a bit tired towards the end of the last one (and aren't getting into their club sides in some cases) is the height of unimagination..

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d love to know what happened with White. He should be in the squad :shrug:

I knew no Brighton players would be picked, Southgate's squad is the same old same old, same trap as nearly all England managers fall into. Exactly the time to blood new players but no, favourites getting picked again. Depressing, I wish he’d done the right thing and quit after Qatar. We have no chance of winning a thing with him in charge, dinosaur in modern football

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’d love to know what happened with White. He should be in the squad :shrug:
Waistcoat doesn't have a clue. He wants to play three at the back (usually) and White is probably the best RCB in the country - but Waistcoat just sees he's playing RB at The Arse, and he's got older players he's used before for that position.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
If our players had been picked could have been bad for there confidence being smashed by Italy as we approach the business end of the season.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If our players had been picked could have been bad for there confidence getting smashed by Italy as we approach the business end of the season.
I REALLY hope Italy humiliate us as and play stunning, effective football for years to come with whoever is currently in charge.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
From that squad, which obviously won’t change much before the Euros barring injuries, 10 of them will be 30+. Bloody ridiculous.

The mess when we have to build an entirely new team of players that actually play games for their clubs and haven’t passed their peak will be for some other sucker to deal with when one of the useless ****s at the FA grows a spine and sacks the useless **** in charge.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I won’t watch England with that Gimp in charge, tactically shit, beats all the shit sides just about a sniff of a decent team and he hasn’t got a clue. To pick Dier the butt of jokes from Spuds fans they all know he’s shite is typical Southgate.
Define "gimp" !

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
They are trying to justify McGuire playing for England on BT but really struggling. They are saying Southgate should be praised for sticking with McGuire but by their logic you never replace players no matter how well or not they play! Seems very odd to me and I don’t think they have thought that through.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The ship has sailed with Dunk now. Total travesty, really feel for him. Should have been on 50 caps plus, better than Tony Adam's was, but clearly nothing more he can or could have done except for moving clubs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here