Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England fan sacked

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think everyone is missing who has been the smart one here.....

Fired from a job she was only doing to pay the bills because she was doing something she really wants to do.

"Apologised" to her employer, thousands of hits on her linked page, all over the media and an interview in the Telegraph.

The worst that will happen will be a number of companies will be contacting her as "a punt" if only for PR, knowing she loves her work and warning her (cough, cough) about her future behaviour.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Personally, I think you should make allowances for one offs like this. I would rather give people the time because they'll make it up or give it back whenever they can. The people who don't enjoy football will cover and you can do something for them one week in return so everyone benefits.

I really don't think managing people is all that difficult when it comes to things like this - you know your people. If you've got someone who's into their football, accomodate one offs in return for making the time up somewhere else. If you've got someone who's fanatic about a book series and is going to be camping outside Waterstones to read it first thing on a Friday morning, give them the day off and get the hours back elsewhere. Keeps everyone happy.

Exactly this. The match was on at 3pm our time and my boss was asking me where I was planning to watch the match, without even mentioning the fact it was during working hours.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I tried to book the day off at short notice when it became apparent that Sussex were going to win the county championship for the first time. My manager said no way ... I turned up for work and when it got to lunch (at work and at the ground) his boss came up to me and said I looked a bit under the weather and that he was also feeling unwell 'there's probably a bit of a bug going around'. He then paid for a cab to the ground for us ... and offered to pay for the tickets (I had membership so got the first of the beers in) That's leadership.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I took the week off for the Germany game [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Reminds me of 1983. I can't imagine I'm the only one who took the Monday off work to line up for Cup Final replay tickets. I was working in Wimbledon dole office at the time. Being Monday morning, there was no time to ask permission, and I didn't call in sick as I was already in line by the time the place opened. So I just didn't show up. Got roasted the next morning but managed to quit before getting fired. What got me was my boss was a geordie. I thought they were supposed to understand how important football is. Anyway, despite the result of the replay, it was the right decision. Got out of a job I hated and changed career. Furthermore, the boss dropped dead a few weeks later of a heart attack, thus reminding us once again to enjoy life each day as much as we can.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This is my assumption whenever I read I story like this. It's almost impossible to get sacked for being useless at your job, and I've worked with plenty of people that treat sick leave like an extra 20 days holiday a year - the employer know this but it's usually very hard to prove otherwise. My money is this woman being one of those types.

Must be 25 years ago now, one morning, a member of my team came to my desk and enquired: "How many unused sick days do I have left?"
Like it was part of his annual leave entitlement ....

#feckers

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is where companies that allow a number of "duvet day" ( no advance notice required ) holidays per year win out.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No wonder she's not that bothered about losing the job. If you work for a company that's so shit you fear asking for permission to go to a once in 25 year event AND their immediate reaction is to sack you for doing so, it's probably time to look for a better employer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here