Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Encrypt USB or Similar

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not in the least bit technical but want to encrypt (password protect) a USB. I keep coming back to Bitlocker but I don't have it on Win 11 (Home) so is there another way?

Concerned about downloading dodgy anything that might glob my laptop up as has happened before

Alternative would be cloud storage but would prefer a one time cost (not recurring) as I'm not planning on adding to the data (less than 2GB)

Any ideas appreciated

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What is it you are trying to protect against out of interest? Is it just a ‘cold backup’ or an actual security concern.

Keep in mind a lot of passwords can be cracked - but the stick above would meet those standards + the keypad thing adds extra level.

If it’s back up I’d also ask what happened if you lost the stick or it corrupted

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What is it you are trying to protect against out of interest? Is it just a ‘cold backup’ or an actual security concern.

Keep in mind a lot of passwords can be cracked - but the stick above would meet those standards + the keypad thing adds extra level.

If it’s back up I’d also ask what happened if you lost the stick or it corrupted
Nothing particularly of interest to others but I'd rather not have anyone going through. I think the device that @HankScorpio mentions above should do the trick.

Thanks both for replying

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
2 of these would do for you.

Integral 4GB Crypto-197 256-Bit Hardware Encrypted 3.0 USB Secure Flash Memory Drive - Certified to FIPS 197, Brute-Force Password Attack Protection and Rugged Double-layer Waterproof Design, Grey

If something is important enough to encrypt it is important enough to have a backup. This is how I protect my crypto wallets. They are simple to use set a complex password save it with a decent password manager such as bitwarden. When you insert the USB drive you just provide the password to access and it then works like any other USB drive.

Bitwarden has a next of kin function, as do other password managers and Gmail. My nominated successor can apply to access all my passwords. If I do not deny this request within a defined period (say 2 weeks) they are then granted access to my password vault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here