Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electrician Advice

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice from a sparky if possible? I am having my garden landscaped in the coming weeks and at some point in the future I want to put a summer house/external office in with power. I'm thinking that whilst there is a huge pit in the garden I could ask the gardener to bury an armoured cable. I am wondering if it needs to go all the way back to Consumer unit or would the sparky be able to join the supply to the armoured cable?

Cheers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder who the first bright spark with an electricity pun will be?

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Get the landscaper to lay a piece of pipe/trunking in the ground and put a rope through it for the sparky to fish when the job comes up.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Some of these puns are shocking.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It would be best to lay the SWA first rather than the pipe, you never know what can happen.

Can you lay the cable and leave a coil of it near your house that can reach the CU when needed? And a coil at the summer house end? Tape over the ends to stop water ingress and it'll be fine. Can hide it under a tub or behind pots if the sight of a rolled cable annoys you.

Any join will be a weak point and could cause future issues.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Get the landscaper to lay a piece of pipe/trunking in the ground and put a rope through it for the sparky to fish when the job comes up.

This. Worth plotting any future watering systems, pond electrics, lighting etc. We had pipes put in under pathways for later use. Was great until wife pulled string out as it looked unused!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here