Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Electric Scooters - Road Trials

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Had them here for 2 summers. I ride one a few times per week. They're great.... But also a nightmare.

If everyone respects the environment and puts them back where they should be, rides sensibly in bike lanes or on suitable roads they're amazing. Much better than waiting for a bus.

But the reality is that people leave them everywhere, ride them like idiots and give their credit card details to their 12 year old children so they can use them. Also car drivers in my experience don't respect the riders as they would a regular cyclist, let alone another car.

So be prepared. You'll hate them unless you're riding one.
There are enough here already to hate them. We have a 20mph High Street (with speed bumps so the limit is well kept by most vehicles) so why they feel the need to ride them on the pavement at speed is beyond me. On the road they seem safe enough. Whether I would ride one without a helmet though...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Responsible riders I'm all for, stupid twunts not so much.

Thisis the crux of the matter for all transportation.

What ever happened to the cycling proficiency test ?

Maybe the scooters should be licensed, a CBT on a scooter before being released on the roads. 3rd party Insurance too.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thisis the crux of the matter for all transportation.

What ever happened to the cycling proficiency test ?

Maybe the scooters should be licensed, a CBT on a scooter before being released on the roads. 3rd party Insurance too.

I've still got my Cycling Proficiency Test certificate as well as my Knights of the Road certificate.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In favour, as long as they are subject to the same rues of the highway code as bikes - stop at red lights, keep to the left, don't go the wrong way up one-way streets and keep off the pavement - and these rules should be rigidly enforced (and they should be for bikes too).

In addition, I'd suggest compulsory lights and an audible warning device, a speed limit (15mph perhaps?), a lower age limit, and perhaps a requirement to have passed the driving theory test.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Had them here for 2 summers. I ride one a few times per week. They're great.... But also a nightmare.

If everyone respects the environment and puts them back where they should be, rides sensibly in bike lanes or on suitable roads they're amazing. Much better than waiting for a bus.

But the reality is that people leave them everywhere, ride them like idiots and give their credit card details to their 12 year old children so they can use them. Also car drivers in my experience don't respect the riders as they would a regular cyclist, let alone another car.

So be prepared. You'll hate them unless you're riding one.

I think it depends on the environment.

My office is on the olympic park and we have had Bird for a long time. They can only be returned to their parking spots else you keep getting charged for them which at 20p a minute you wouldn't want to leave it for too long. I've not found them annoying at all, cyclist are far more annoying when they don't use the cycle lanes.

However there is tons of room out there. Can see it being a nightmare in town centres and when the cheap ones come out good luck commuting just like the morons who want to get on packed trains with their fold up bikes.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Restrict to 15mph, improve scooter lighting, fully encourage helmet and bright colour clothing, treat as a bicycle for pavements, public footpaths etc.
Drink driving and mobile phone use to apply then happy to see a trial.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
2:30, 4:55 and 11:50.

In cycle lanes makes sense, but they need to be able to signal not just glide across as that is where a lot of the danger is; particuarly when they have headphones in and seem oblivious. I know the same could be said for many cyclists (I am a relatvely well behaved one but see plenty of poor behaviour from pedestrians/cyclists/motorists)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Restrict to 15mph, improve scooter lighting, fully encourage helmet and bright colour clothing, treat as a bicycle for pavements, public footpaths etc.
Drink driving and mobile phone use to apply then happy to see a trial.

sums up as treat like bicycles, with addition of strictly enforced* speed restriction (say 15-20mph). its notable all the objections pretty much apply to bicycles.
doesnt need a trial, it needs the legislation amended to allow any low speed, single person motorised vehicles on roads without licencing. rather than this silly problem coming up with every fad vehicle.

*confiscation for over limit, fines for sellers. simple and effective, if there's no market for speedy options they wont sell them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here