Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Edinburgh

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And Carlton Hill for some iconic views.
*Calton 😉

Can recommend the Castle, underground tunnels (organised walking tour or ‘ghost’ tour - well worth it), boat trip under the Forth Bridge and out to Inchcolme Island, a stroll around the Meadows and nearby and generally just mooching around. Absolutely dozens of pubs and bars to explore, too many to recommend ! Arthur’s Seat isn’t far to go and not much of a climb but well worth it for the views. Best meal I’ve had in Edinburgh was at The Kitchin in Leith (as others have said, Britannia also worth a visit if out there). The Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick is a bit further out but great and easily reached by train (about half an hour from Waverley)

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
There is an amazing Nepalese restaurant not too far from Waverley station. Gurkha Cafe.
Best meal I had whilst staying there.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Me and the Mrs are off to Edinburgh for a long weekend next month. We’re planning on doing most of the main stuff (Old Town, The Castle, Arthur’s Seat etc) and maybe see this Giant Panda before it goes.

But does the wisdom of NSC have any other recommendations?

Good Pubs or places for dinner? (Nothing to fancy)

Anywhere to avoid?

Many thanks in advance!
Generally I’d say avoid Scotland in general , cold weather , poor diet , difficult accent to understand , they hate the English ( apparently) but Edinburgh does seem to be the exception to the rule .

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Generally I’d say avoid Scotland in general , cold weather , poor diet , difficult accent to understand , they hate the English ( apparently) but Edinburgh does seem to be the exception to the rule .
Our two recent forays north of the Border were excellent. Edinburgh was one of them - and pretty much every shop assistant, barista, or bar-person seemed to be English. The other was Skye - with a similar sort of experience. In both cases the service and welcome were fantastic, and the weather was brilliant, too. Not sure if any of that was coincidence....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having been to Thurso, Ayr, St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh, I would say you're wrong.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

just been to Scotland (not Edinburgh). Weather was warm enough to swim in the sea, we ate great food, I'm not a f***ing idiot so could understand what they were saying and never experienced any hostility whatsoever

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Another recommendation for the Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith. The tram stops about 100 yards beyond the entrance.
We had a lovely lunch in the Roseleaf Bar Cafe, too, which isn’t far away still in Leith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here