Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ebay

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yep, use eBay regularly - selling is always buy-it-now - when buying, I find myself not only checking the seller's feedback but now trying extra hard to avoid either made in China or Chinese sellers [does that make me racist?]

Had one or two sleazy buyers over the years but in the main find them okay generally. As per above, with eBay favouring buyers in any dispute, I've also noticed sellers try harder to appease their buyers, fearing neutral or negative feedback may damage future sales I guess.

Biggest loss was Hermes "losing" a £400 laptop - avoid using them now too, thieving bar-stewards

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I put something on there in August last year had it up for 3 days, last night I got a message telling me my items sold it's time to post ! Obviously I'd completely forgotten about it but luckily still have the bromine cartridges that sold, I was completely unaware that stuff stayed up for sale that long especially when I'd put the 3 day thingy on the sale .

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sold a load of clothes on there a few years back and whilst it was a worthwhile exercise financially it was such a ballache dealing with people and their stupid questions and post sale one incredibly rude tosspot who had paid about £10 for a jumper that originally cost £180 moaning because it had signs of wear. What the **** did he expect for a tenner?

Put me off ever using it again......until a couple of months back where Apple refused my trade in of my old phone because I'd forgotten to reset it to factory settings when I sent it back. 100% my fault. So I turned to ebay again. I listed every single attribute of the phone. I started the auction for a £1 and clearly said no buy it now or offers. Unbeknown to me ebay now automatically put the make an offer feature on. Within five minutes of the listing going live I'd had 6 insulting offers. So went in a switched that feature off. I then had someone ask me what colour the phone was which you could clearly see from the photos and it was mentioned in the description but I thought I'd add it to the title. That change automatically put the offer feature back on. Again I got a load of pathetic offers so I had to edit again and switch it off again. I listed it for a week and every day I was just getting stupid questions from people all of which answered on the listing. Along with several requests to post to Russia which I point blank refused as it was clearly some sort of scam.

In the end the phone sold for just shy of £200 but by the time ebay had taken their slice I got £174. Never selling through them again.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Used to buy and sell stuff quite a lot, but got so fed up with messages from people obviously unable to read / pay attention to what I had put in the adverts...so these days I only use it to buy bits from trusted sellers in the UK, and always on Buy it Now.
Occasionally see a bargain I will bid on, but nowhere near as much as I used to - and never sell. Thats always through FB marketplace now as there are no fees, and easier being local etc.

boik

Use it occasionally. Always been fine until I sold a huge and heavy keyboard which I listed as collection only. My location was on the add, but a chap still asked where I was so I told him. He won the auction and then asked again where I was. When I told him I was near Brighton he said that was too far to come. He then offered me £25 quid to send it to him (nowhere near the cost of packaging and sending) and then got really stroppy when I said no. So I escalated to ebay and cancelled the sale and eventually sold on ebay to a lovely bloke who came down from London and insisted on giving me a tenner when I offered some accessories that weren't in the ad. Same story everywhere, most people are great, just a few are a$$holes, but they make the most noise

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
As many have said, use buy it now, set your price from similar items that have recently sold (you can filter these on any search). I have a £15 sale limit also as I don't think it is worth the hassle otherwise (goes on freegle if worth under £15). Sold hundreds of things over the years without any issues (guaranteed next one will now be a disaster :facepalm:).

Another tip is to wait until the cheap £1 final sale deals that sometimes come up on the weekend if you are paying higher value stuff!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
As a seller, Buy It Now is the way to go. Price high and then send offers to watchers as they occur.

Also, as others have said, list in bulk on one of the many weekends they do cheap listing events.

The only other thing is to ALWAYS post things tracked if they are worth more than £20.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I sell loads, and buy quite a bit.

When I’m selling I set the start price at £4.99, regardless of whether the item is worth £100, or £500 or whatever. I also state clearly that there is no Buy it Now and that the auction will be left to run. Generally have no problems.

When I’m buying I use a sniping service which puts in my bid with less than 5 seconds to go, some I win, some I lose :shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have never sold anything but use eBay to buy bits for work or diy items, always new items and ‘buy it now’

Same, it was quite good when it started, but by 2010 roughly it had skewed the 2nd hand market dreadfully as people were selling scrap.

Its quick and useful if you're on a job or on site and need a new part quick, via a reputable trader.

Rubbish for selling 2nd hand, worst case buyers complain and get it free and you lost your item.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Same, it was quite good when it started, but by 2010 roughly it had skewed the 2nd hand market dreadfully as people were selling scrap.

Its quick and useful if you're on a job or on site and need a new part quick, via a reputable trader.

Rubbish for selling 2nd hand, worst case buyers complain and get it free and you lost your item.

An advert for eBay appeared on the tv as I was reading this.

I recently lost a 10mm socket from my set, found a replacement on eBay for a few quid and delivered free.
I also find many new plumbing parts and sundry items that are not on sale in local merchants.

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
An advert for eBay appeared on the tv as I was reading this.

I recently lost a 10mm socket from my set, found a replacement on eBay for a few quid and delivered free.
I also find many new plumbing parts and sundry items that are not on sale in local merchants.

Somewhere, there are about 20 000 10mm sockets all living in. A commune :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Somewhere, there are about 20 000 10mm sockets all living in. A commune :lolol:

:lolol:

80EF0CEE-932D-4D4D-A10A-8F71FA30471D.jpeg

This comes up on the search for 10mm sockets :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills