Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Eating less meat & dairy.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
As Boycie would say: 'You smell like a Vegetarians Fart'...and unfortunately so must your homes

Fair play to any Vegetarians or Vegans (especially the non preaching ones) who choose this way of daily digestion as it definitely has its benefits, but in all honesty I haven't met one yet in the flesh that doesn't physically look like they're on their way to a 'Walking Dead' audition

You’re more than welcome to meet me :wave: I’d have to drop a few KGs to meet your expectations though :lol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Apologies for the delay - I don’t come on here so much as I find it quite toxic if you dare to have contrarian views (which I do on quite a few subjects lol).

Any form of ‘fasting’ will be good. Once the body has consumed the carbs, it will need to get energy from somewhere and this will be from fat stores. The ‘fats’ are a much better fuel for the brain too.

When the body gets beyond about 14 hours without food it goes into a process called autophagy (which is how the body recycles the dead cells). This is really good as it will clear out the cells which it doesn’t need first.

People assume that they need constant food as this is what we’ve been told. I used to be a grazer, thinking this was healthier than eating big meals - live and learn eh!. If you look at humans on the evolutionary timescales, our ancestors will often have had time of extended hunger. They survived (I accept that life-spans were shorter, but this would have been for many reasons). Going for 24/48/72 hours without food won’t kill anyone, and will be good for the body (I have yet to go beyond 24 hours but I will get there).

A big issue in modern health is IR (Insulin Resistance). There is a Dr Eric Berg video (The Biggest Secret Of the Keto Universe) which covers (briefly of course as it’s only on youtube) insulin resistance and how doctors treat the effects not the cause. So many things are linked to IR. There are other people besides Eric Berg with other channels too saying the same/similar things too. I also have a good friend who did a 3 year nutrition course who is always reading about new thinking and he confirms their suggestions too.

I need to correct an earlier point I made too about fruits spiking blood sugar/insulin. They don’t but, if someone has a fatty liver (again, a problem linked to IR/diet) then eating too much fruit will cause the liver to need to process that fructose.

How I started on the IF (intermittent Fasting) was to drop breakfast and eat say midday and 7pm ish. Now, I eat roughly 2pm/7pm. Also, I avoid snacking (most of the time lol). I don’t always feel hungry at 2pm, but probably still eat then as it’s a bit like habit - as in, I now eat twice a day. What I need to do is mix it up more, which is sort of like the 5:2 diet.

Another thing to consider is quality of food. So, organic is much better than mass produced, but of course, this costs more. However, if you are eating less then paying a bit more may not cost that much more overall.

By all means ask if you have any questions, or PM me if you’d prefer.

All good advice and thank you for your advice [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Re your point about veganism and health… You are of course right, simply being vegan doesn’t make you healthy. But its to important to distinguish the differences between vegan and whole food plant based. The former is an ethical stance whereas WFPB isn’t, and is perhaps based on health or environmental factors

So, on a Vegan diet, you can stuff your face with Oreos, chips and vegan alternatives but, as you say, doing so won’t suddenly make you lose weight and become healthy. I would argue it’s still a better lifestyle in regards to the impact it has on the environment and the animals - which is the whole point of veganism, but it won’t necessarily make you healthier. The whole food plant based diet on the other hand is a different story, better for your health, the environment and the animals, although as I say above, isn’t necessarily a diet based on animal welfare.

As for the additives in faux meat and cheeses, if you’re eating processed meat and dairy, the proverb about ‘those who live in glass houses should not throw stones’ springs to mind. Best avoided regardless of the diet you follow.

So let me give an example of processed foods:
High street burger chain - burger patty
Standard meat based 3 indredients
Plant based patty - 30 • heavily processed, chemically altered ingredients

Which do you think is healthier for you???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

most vegetarian products look vile when you look at them and how they're made.

I'd be more than happy with a bowl of pasta and veg with cheese sauce. . . which funnily enough was a staple part of our diet as kids and still a firm family favourite.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Why pretend any of them of are healthy options in the first place? ??? As I alluded to in my post, veganism isn’t about being healthy, it’s about causing less suffering to animals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here