Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Dyson purifier

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Absolutely this. We used to have a Dyson vacuum and when it broke down looked at replacing it but the prices were eye watering. Ended up buying a similar Hoover model for just over £100 and having now had both, would never buy a Dyson ever again.

I agree. Dyson Vacuum Cleaners are shit. I had 4 which broke down on me. They had to keep sending me a replacement as they all over heated and burned out the motor. They eventually accused me of falsely claiming they had never broken down because they never ever asked me to send the broken ones back so it must be a common occurrence.

I eventually told them to stick their suction coned patent up their arse and went out and bought a cheaper model for £129 and it has lasted 4 years without any problems.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I eventually told them to stick their suction coned patent up their arse.

Which after a few weeks

1) Will block
2) Will require dexterity of a Rubik Cube World Champion to remove
3) Will have to be washed and dried over a period of 24 hours before it can be stuck up the arse again.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm another 'Dyson are shit' person. Bought one of their vacuums a few years back. Never again. Corded Henr(ietta) all the way now, much better.
Also think the 'Cool Me' is a massive swizz. A preference to air-con/cooling but the reality is that that it cools naff all, just pushes around warm air.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just another thought on these Dyson 'bladeless' gadgets (note - I am not an engineer, and don't pretend to be) -

You cannot create the airflow without a spinning blade. The 'old-school' kind of fan had a spinning blade at the top of a stand, enclosed by a mesh guard, and powered by a motor in the base.

The 'bladeless' models have a spinning blade buried within the stand, powered by a motor. The top of the device has a series of guides to push the air movement, powered by the blade, out of a circular guide placed on top of the stand.

One problem with this is that you can not easily get to the blades of the fan to clean them. So, if they become covered in muck, you simply end up pushing that muck out of the fan and into the air. With the 'old-school' style, you simply wipe the blades down on a regular basis.

Many hospitals have banned the 'bladeless' style of fan from wards for this very reason.

Solving one 'problem' (fingers getting caught by blades) by moving the blades to within the housing at the base, simply replaces one problem with another - at enormous expense for the purchaser.

So now the expensive filters are needed to try to slow down the accumulation of dirt on the blades. This is then sold as a 'benefit' (look, we are filtering the air!) rather than a recognition of the potentially dangerous muck-build-up-prevention-solution - and the end-user pays for it all. :shrug:

Nice though.

bladeless fan.jpg

Can I just add that I regard Jimmy Dyson as a thirld word exploiting b'stard? Love the kit, though.

My fan (which I see now retails at a 'cool' £600) was a present. My Dyson hand vac is...questionable (battery life).

My main hoover is a 22 year old Miele which weighs a ton but could suck a last reluctant aphorism out of my rotting corpse, post mortem. ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree. Dyson Vacuum Cleaners are shit.

I eventually told them to stick their suction coned patent up their arse .

The 'Patent' is a ****ing joke . . . . Cyclonic separation . . . It's been around for over a century. As I previously mentioned, There was for over 4 decades, in Brighton, a designer and manufacturer of vacuum cleaners, and pneumatic conveyance. Sturtevant. The Company Had a Royal seal, supplied the RAF, BBC, GEC, Weetabix, Tate&Lyle, Guinness. . . . Bla de bla . . . Cyclonic separation was a staple part of vacuum business. Something I learned about in 88-89 when a Teen, and Sturtavant were 100 years old then.

The really fine dust end is a backwards part of paint spraying. Use the airflow to suck it up and shoot it out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here