Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk is getting better and better

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Excellent bit of analysis looking at how Dunk's progression has accelerated under Di Zerbi via

Looks at his flexibility, how his possession stats have been transformed in the last 12 months, and what the author (Freddie Dean) sums up as a "... journey from no-nonsense defender to the world’s statistically leading ball-playing defender"

Will he cope with Calvert Lewin this afternoon ?

Dunk.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent bit of analysis looking at how Dunk's progression has accelerated under Di Zerbi via

Looks at his flexibility, how is possession stats have been transformed in the last 12 months, and what the author (Freddie Dean) sums up as a "... journey from no-nonsense defender to the world’s statistically leading ball-playing defender"

View attachment 169152

'journey from no-nonsense defender to ball-playing defender'

As anyone who has watched him regularly has been aware of for years. It's just that he's being encouraged to play more :wink:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
'journey from no-nonsense defender to ball-playing defender'

As anyone who has watched him regularly has been aware of for years. It's just that he's being encouraged to play more :wink:
TBF i think the piece makes that point. Under Hughton for example - it was all blocks and "stopping shots" alongside Shane Duffy rather than playing out from the back and very effective it was.. but obviously RDZ has really developed that part of his game.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Loved this bit...
'Dunk ultimately ended the game having completed 161/169 passes, falling just 13 short of the total that arch rivals Crystal Palace as a team managed against Tottenham last weekend.'

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

He has fantastic positioning but I think you need top level (almost world class) pace, strength and aerial ability to snuff him out.

Sadly, Dunk can get out muscled by the strongest and biggest attackers and outpaced by the fastest.

Snuffing out DCL this afternoon will be a major feather in his cap.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I genuinely think he's one of the best centre halves in the world right now.

I don't think it's an exaggeration, nor is it through blue & white tinted spectacles, to say that he has developed into a World Class player.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I don't think it's an exaggeration, nor is it through blue & white tinted spectacles, to say that he has developed into a World Class player.
His only weakness seem to be defending on the break. He excels at everything else you’d want from a ball playing centre back.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

This is true. De Zerbi rates him in the top 5 in Europe. If he had more pace that would be unarguable. Journos that talk about his transition from Hughton style to de Zerbi style ignore his time in the Championship when he consistently hit accurate, long, diagonal passes to Knocky, Bruno, March and others.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
His only weakness seem to be defending on the break. He excels at everything else you’d want from a ball playing centre back.
Can I add the whole defence doesn't like being turned around, as only lamptey is blessed with pace. When Bissouma and Caicedo were there protecting we were much more able to cope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here