Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Duncan Fearnley RIP

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
RIP

In the 80s and 90s loads of the great players seemed to use a Duncan Fearnley bat. I had one myself, but never quite reached to those heights, did score a few 50s in Sussex League cricket with it though!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Crikey, I didn't realise he was still alive or so young at the time they were first made.

Some of my early bats were DFs. It was always interesting how certain counties favoured certain makes. Worcester was DF, Nottinghamshire GM etc.

I remember owning a Magnum. Cracking lump of wood was that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve still got my much-loved VR 5* (being a Somerset fan at the time having a VR bat, from the same firm that Botham used was a no brainer) even had it regripped a couple of years ago. Could hit the ball MILES with it (mostly over cow corner). It’s too ****ing heavy for me now.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
1709928280159.png

80s sport in its purest form

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not a bad innings, RIP.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They had a pretty good side generally then. It wasn't just the imports. Tim Curtis, Phil Newport, Steve Rhodes etc

I used to love the county averages in the Telegraph, I’d doodle highlight bits of interest. Bear with my lack of knowledge compared to you …. I think the ultimate was 2,000 first class runs per summer or 100 wickets. The wickets were different then (covered or uncovered?) and England players played a ton of games for their counties too.

I adored Botham, I liked the loyal stand he took with Somerset over Richards or Garner, so I wanted DF’s Worcestershire to succeed.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I used to love the county averages in the Telegraph, I’d doodle highlight bits of interest. Bear with my lack of knowledge compared to you …. I think the ultimate was 2,000 first class runs per summer or 100 wickets. The wickets were different then (covered or uncovered?) and England players played a ton of games for their counties too.

I adored Botham, I liked the loyal stand he took with Somerset over Richards or Garner, so I wanted DF’s Worcestershire to succeed.
I think it may have been the Daily Telegraph who had the original fantasy league. I think I finished 14th one year.

I think pitches were covered from the late 70s. Not sure as it was a little before my time. It's astonishing thinking about it.

Talking of averages, I still spend a lot of time on the Cricinfo archive. It's as bad as Hiney's programmes pages. You can get lost in there. Wistful memories of the days of proper cricket.

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I might be tempted get my 405 down from the attic and stick it on eBay based on this!

The price for this Magnum is even more staggering!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it may have been the Daily Telegraph who had the original fantasy league. I proudly finished 14th one year.

I think pitches were covered from the late 70s. Not sure as it was a little before my time. It's astonishing thinking about it.

Talking of averages, I still spend a lot of time on the Cricinfo archive. It's expired as Hiney's programmes pages. You can get lost in there.

They did, mid 90’s, also for the PL.

Wow, what an achievement, 100,000’s took part?

Cricket mad colleagues got me into it, we had our own detailed spreadsheet competition each season. We all had Mal Loye, negating his use :) .

One of my sports loving brothers showed me Cricinfo years ago. Pre internet was Wisdens your bible?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They did, mid 90’s, also for the PL.

Wow, what an achievement, 100,000’s took part?

Cricket mad colleagues got me into it, we had our own detailed spreadsheet competition each season. We all had Mal Loye, negating his use :) .

One of my sports loving brothers showed me Cricinfo years ago. Pre internet was Wisdens your bible?
I was a Cricketer International devotee. I started reading it at 12. It was ordered in to the newsagents where I did a paper round. I used to get very excited in the days leading up. I did try Wisden, but it never seemed quite so informative. Even as a child, I craved pure content. I was utterly obsessed with cricket. I tried reading it again recently but it's not the same. But I think that might just be a reflection of my general malaise about the game.

Yes, I think there were about 100,000 in the competition. My brain tells me I was 14th, although I'm doubting it now. It's so long ago. I think Dave Milns was one of my key players. And David Hemp.

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The Bob Willis super bat! Didn’t catch on, though Dennis Amiss always used DF bats too and probably got more use from them than RGD Willis!

IMG_3990.jpeg

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My mate had a magnum and I was so jealous. Then a different one got the hick 405 and I was green with envy. My mum got me an open championship classic which people had not heard of but wow. What a piece of willow. David gower used it with style. I used mine with brute force (I was a slogging bowler rather than stylish batsman).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here