Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dover

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've seen that all the matches have been postponed in the last couple of weeks or so. Feel for the leaders. It sounds a right shambles. So many of Albion's 2000/2001 opponents are now in non-league - York, Chesterfield, Kidderminster, Darlington, Barnet, Hartlepool, Macclesfield (gone bust), Torquay. That's a third of the division! Different world from the muddy Withdean pitch and getting very wet to the amazing Amex facilities.

Add to that list Chester, Hereford, Dagenham & Redbridge, Wrexham, and Bury, and you have half the division. I'm sure there are quite a few others too.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
How do you work out a footballers wages for furlough?
If they earn £210 a week at a lower league club can the club divide that by seven (£30 a day) and then claim back 6 days wages and pay them for a match day?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else open this thread assuming it would be something to do with Krispies' trusty sidekick? :lol:

No.

I assumed the Government had just realised that most of our imports (used to) come in though Dover from Calais

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I've seen that all the matches have been postponed in the last couple of weeks or so. Feel for the leaders. It sounds a right shambles. So many of Albion's 2000/2001 opponents are now in non-league - York, Chesterfield, Kidderminster, Darlington, Barnet, Hartlepool, Macclesfield (gone bust), Torquay. That's a third of the division! Different world from the muddy Withdean pitch and getting very wet to the amazing Amex facilities.

This, there but for the grace of Robbi's foot we could have been. Some of the failing clubs annual income is what is paid to some PL players in a week , tax the richest and remove large layers of FA/FL Fatcats who take money out of the front line.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I m not personally involved So I don’t have any idea how much it would cost them to hold a home game
or the travel costs to an away game Even if the players played for free
Looking in from the outside I’d imagine they re hoping to have garnered support from other teams within the division to cancel the season
From what I’ve read Dover have no wish to go into anymore debt to complete effectively meaningless fixtures
It all stems back to the promised grants now becoming loans

Not sure if i have this right but maybe Non league daily news or close website has had clubs simply saying we are not playing because of costs as the loan or loans afforded to such clubs are exactly that loans and have to be repaid. As you have pointed out so many clubs are running a tight ship and we are not taking on anymore debt.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

That’s pretty much my understanding of the situation
Just that Dover being a division above have been told to continue playing regardless

I’m not sure how the 3&4 fourth tiers/ division s (whatever they re currently rebranded as ) are being compensated
In comparison to 5 & downwards Tough times for lots of clubs and many people & family’s at the moment

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

That should shame the League hierarchy into some sort of action - but it won’t!

I remember the shockwaves locally when Maidstone folded, and more locally to me Sittingbourne, it’s a big thing for a local community when their team folds. Both have managed to reform,

Maidstone have been reasonably successful in getting back towards their former position up until now and I can understand their position, regarding what might ultimately be a null and void season.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
That should shame the League hierarchy into some sort of action - but it won’t!

I remember the shockwaves locally when Maidstone folded, and more locally to me Sittingbourne, it’s a big thing for a local community when their team folds. Both have managed to reform,

Maidstone have been reasonably successful in getting back towards their former position up until now and I can understand their position, regarding what might ultimately be a null and void season.

Maidstone s season has been curtailed
its Dover having to carry on In the same circumstances in the 5 th division

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Maidstone s season has been curtailed
its Dover having to carry on In the same circumstances in the 5 th division

Understood, doesn't change the fact that there are absolutely obscene amounts of money sloshing around in football, yet the football authorities are largely sitting on their hands and watching clubs go to the wall, not because of bad management or poor decisions, but due to a world wide pandemic.

I am sure if the desire was there something could be done for these clubs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Understood, doesn't change the fact that there are absolutely obscene amounts of money sloshing around in football, yet the football authorities are largely sitting on their hands and watching clubs go to the wall, not because of bad management or poor decisions, but due to a world wide pandemic.

I am sure if the desire was there something could be done for these clubs

With what money?

You say there is money sloshing about, but look at the money lost by PL clubs.

It’s no different to smaller businesses going under during this.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
How do you work out a footballers wages for furlough?
If they earn £210 a week at a lower league club can the club divide that by seven (£30 a day) and then claim back 6 days wages and pay them for a match day?

Nope.

An employee placed on furlough must not undertake any activity for or on behalf of their employer.

(The logic being that your employer has put you on furlough because there is no work for you to do as a result of covid. If an employee is placed on furlough but continues to undertake work for their employer it is fraud!)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
With what money?

You say there is money sloshing about, but look at the money lost by PL clubs.

It’s no different to smaller businesses going under during this.

Premier League clubs are haemorrhaging money due to paying exhorbitant wages and transfer fees in an attempt to compete. The big reset people were expecting in money terms hasn't happened in football.

Time to share some of the wealth!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If footballers are furloughed, they won't be playing on a matchday.

Nope.

An employee placed on furlough must not undertake any activity for or on behalf of their employer.

(The logic being that your employer has put you on furlough because there is no work for you to do as a result of covid. If an employee is placed on furlough but continues to undertake work for their employer it is fraud!)

But you can put staff on 'flexible furlough' meaning they only work a fraction of their usual hours and the government pays them for not working.
Example. 2020 a member of staff worked 50 hours. 2021 same pay period they worked 20 hours due to lack of work from employer. They would get 30 hours at 80% and 20 hours at 100% of pay.
So if a footballer got paid £200 in 2020 for a part time job, say training 3 nights and a day match, could that £200 be split into 4 periods and the player only comes in on match day for £50? 80% of £150 paid by government.

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
Think you will find that they'll be relegated - and the league below will be asked to vote to deny or accept them.

So maybe 2 or 3 leagues. And that is if they can guarantee to fulfil their fixtures.

Or just go bankrupt.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Premier League clubs are haemorrhaging money due to paying exhorbitant wages and transfer fees in an attempt to compete. The big reset people were expecting in money terms hasn't happened in football.

Time to share some of the wealth!

You can’t just terminate players contracts on a whim.

Sadly many clubs will be going under, I think some proper grass roots clubs will suffer as well due to people not wanting to play/being able to afford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here