Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Dog Farts

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The dog has dropped his hat several times this evening and each one has nearly caused his owners to stop inhaling breath. I'm only able to post this having stopped choking and successfully moved the kids to a safe zone upstairs. I may not have eyebrows left tomorrow.

Does anyone know what food causes canines to turn into nuclear weapons? It's like being in a train carriage full of Leeds fans.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
The dog has dropped his hat several times this evening and each one has nearly caused his owners to stop inhaling breath. I'm only able to post this having stopped choking and successfully moved the kids to a safe zone upstairs. I may not have eyebrows left tomorrow.

Does anyone know what food causes canines to turn into nuclear weapons? It's like being in a train carriage full of Leeds fans.
Given that, apparently, a dogs sense of smell is 1000% more developed than ours, how bad does it smell to them I wonder. You could strip paint with some of 'em.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

How to Stop Your Dog's Bad Gas?​

Some level of passing gas is normal but If your dog has no underlying health condition then the smelly farts and excessive farting is down to their diet. Here are a few easy to implement changes that will help reduce your dog's flatulence.
  • If you've not already done so, move your dog onto a raw food diet and gradually introduce the raw food over the course of a week. Those pets that are feed a raw food diet very rarely if ever suffer the same health issues as those pets on a cooked or processed diet. If you're still not convinced about the benefits of raw for your pet then remember it's totally in alignment with your pet's needs. Their entire digestive system is designed to eat raw irrespective of whether your dog is a teacup dog or an English Mastiff. At no point throughout the whole history of the world has evolution given a dog the ability to cook for itself. Its entire system right from its incisor teeth through to it's acidic stomach juices and short intestine length is designed to eat raw food. If you're still unsure then at least choose a good quality pet food that has high quality ingredients without by-products.
  • Avoid the most common foods that cause your dog to fart such as foods heavy with carbohydrates, high in fibre, sugars, lactose, grains etc. These are the types of food that sit in the digestive system for longer than normal and produce the gas build up.
  • Stop giving your pet treats that are not 100% real foods. Pet treats from your local pet shop or supermarket are cheap and nasty in that they have really cheap ingredients that negatively effect the digestive system of your pet. They tend to be full of by-products and nasty chemicals that shouldn't be feed to dogs.
  • If you dog wolfs down its food, then think about getting a special bowl that forces the dog to slow its rate of eating down as it has to physically search the bowl to get the food out to eat so it allows a little bit more time in between each bite.
  • If you dog gets windy from too much time in between meals and then quickly eating when it is mealtime, think about splitting his meal into more smaller and more regular portions throughout the day.
  • Think about introducing a prebiotic and probiotic into your dog's diet. This should be a standard thing in order to keep your dog's gut in tip top shape but you can easily buy a product such as happy belly or regularly start giving your dog kefir or fermented foods to help maintain the healthy flora in the intestines.
  • Keep a daily record of what you're dog is eating so you pinpoint the food or ingredient that is causing the flatulence.
  • Try to keep your dog out of the rubbish bags and compost bins etc. as it may that they are stealing food from these areas that are causing the flatulence especially if they are eating more decayed food.
  • If your dog has a food intolerance or your suspect an allergy then you'll need to speak to your vet but one of the very first things you'll need to do is stop all their regular food with go with something completely different. This will allow you to take a note and control the ingredients in the food to understand what is actually causing the issue. The most common foods dogs have allergies or an intolerance to are, chicken, beef, soy and wheat. So you'll need to pick a protein that is not regularly eaten by your dog such as lamb or fish to determine if chicken or beef are the cause and eliminate the foods that contain wheat and soy for something such as sweet potato. This will take time and patience to slowly build up from one or two ingredients to understand what is causing your dog a problem but it will definitely be worth it for the long term health of your dog.
  • Introduce plants into your garden that can aid your dog's digestion such as wheatgrass or german chamomile
  • Use essential oils or flower waters to help with the digestive system or reduce an intestinal inflammation such as ginger peppermint, black pepper.
  • You can give charcoal to your dog but this is not a long term solution. It can help in the short term if your dog has loose stools or really smelly farts but you'll need to investigate the actual root cause of the farts to keep the culprit out of your dog's diet as opposed to always administering medicines. If not, your dog's digestive system will always be in a state of stress which will impact the long term health of the organs and the general well-being of your dog.
https://www.authenticapets.com/en/blog/why-do-dog-farts-smell

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You do know when your dog has done one
Apparently more often than not in our family as the dog gets blamed for all farts, period 😂

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have a 2 year old Border Collie / Shepherd / Husky mix and he hat the WORST farts, ended up switching his food at our vets recommendation.

I would also suggest getting a stool sample tested as there's a range of nasty stomach parasites dogs can get, I give Atlas a pro-biotic daily with a little spoon of cottage cheese.

His stomach has been mostly okay the last 6 months.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

We took my mother's mutt which farted continually. For an unrelated matter the dog had to have a number of teeth taken out. The farting stopped.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia

How to Stop Your Dog's Bad Gas?​

Some level of passing gas is normal but If your dog has no underlying health condition then the smelly farts and excessive farting is down to their diet. Here are a few easy to implement changes that will help reduce your dog's flatulence.
  • If you've not already done so, move your dog onto a raw food diet and gradually introduce the raw food over the course of a week. Those pets that are feed a raw food diet very rarely if ever suffer the same health issues as those pets on a cooked or processed diet. If you're still not convinced about the benefits of raw for your pet then remember it's totally in alignment with your pet's needs. Their entire digestive system is designed to eat raw irrespective of whether your dog is a teacup dog or an English Mastiff. At no point throughout the whole history of the world has evolution given a dog the ability to cook for itself. Its entire system right from its incisor teeth through to it's acidic stomach juices and short intestine length is designed to eat raw food. If you're still unsure then at least choose a good quality pet food that has high quality ingredients without by-products.
  • Avoid the most common foods that cause your dog to fart such as foods heavy with carbohydrates, high in fibre, sugars, lactose, grains etc. These are the types of food that sit in the digestive system for longer than normal and produce the gas build up.
  • Stop giving your pet treats that are not 100% real foods. Pet treats from your local pet shop or supermarket are cheap and nasty in that they have really cheap ingredients that negatively effect the digestive system of your pet. They tend to be full of by-products and nasty chemicals that shouldn't be feed to dogs.
  • If you dog wolfs down its food, then think about getting a special bowl that forces the dog to slow its rate of eating down as it has to physically search the bowl to get the food out to eat so it allows a little bit more time in between each bite.
  • If you dog gets windy from too much time in between meals and then quickly eating when it is mealtime, think about splitting his meal into more smaller and more regular portions throughout the day.
  • Think about introducing a prebiotic and probiotic into your dog's diet. This should be a standard thing in order to keep your dog's gut in tip top shape but you can easily buy a product such as happy belly or regularly start giving your dog kefir or fermented foods to help maintain the healthy flora in the intestines.
  • Keep a daily record of what you're dog is eating so you pinpoint the food or ingredient that is causing the flatulence.
  • Try to keep your dog out of the rubbish bags and compost bins etc. as it may that they are stealing food from these areas that are causing the flatulence especially if they are eating more decayed food.
  • If your dog has a food intolerance or your suspect an allergy then you'll need to speak to your vet but one of the very first things you'll need to do is stop all their regular food with go with something completely different. This will allow you to take a note and control the ingredients in the food to understand what is actually causing the issue. The most common foods dogs have allergies or an intolerance to are, chicken, beef, soy and wheat. So you'll need to pick a protein that is not regularly eaten by your dog such as lamb or fish to determine if chicken or beef are the cause and eliminate the foods that contain wheat and soy for something such as sweet potato. This will take time and patience to slowly build up from one or two ingredients to understand what is causing your dog a problem but it will definitely be worth it for the long term health of your dog.
  • Introduce plants into your garden that can aid your dog's digestion such as wheatgrass or german chamomile
  • Use essential oils or flower waters to help with the digestive system or reduce an intestinal inflammation such as ginger peppermint, black pepper.
  • You can give charcoal to your dog but this is not a long term solution. It can help in the short term if your dog has loose stools or really smelly farts but you'll need to investigate the actual root cause of the farts to keep the culprit out of your dog's diet as opposed to always administering medicines. If not, your dog's digestive system will always be in a state of stress which will impact the long term health of the organs and the general well-being of your dog.
https://www.authenticapets.com/en/blog/why-do-dog-farts-smell
Fed my dog raw (Landywoods) between 0-8 years old and never a bad fart or stinky breath. Now he's older we had to move him to a type of kibble more balanced for what older dogs need and while he's perfectly fine with it, he's definitely started farting more. They don't smell (neither does his breath, thankfully) but are pretty loud, even startling him a couple of times.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Our vet says that cat farts are the worst.
When our Ziggy drops his guts, we have to get the blow torch out to cut through the green fog :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We have an old dog, farts aren't an issue, but struth, her breath could level a rhino, definitely keep her well away from naked flames.

On which note, has anyone ever tried lighting a dogs fart?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
You are what you eat. As an inexperienced dog owner many years ago I fed my pooch Pedigree Chum. Coombes in Baker Street soon put me straight. Raw fed my latest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here