Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does luck even itself out??

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We have had our share of bad luck this season. But maybe today the worm has turned. Terrible finishing from Hull, great goalkeeping from Thomaz and no doubt their keeper will have felt he could have done better with the goal. Sometimes you need to win ugly and that's what we done tonight. Well played lads for a gritty performance. And if Vicente, can do that a few more times, I might even get his name printed on my shirt lol....Onwards and upwards, now Tuesday is the next MASSIVE game.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I think all the remaining games are MASSIVE. Today, the bottom 3 teams all won even though 2 of them were playing sides in the top 6. I love the Championship; most competitive league in the world (IMHO).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The harder people work: the 'luckier' they get. :thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

markw

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think the ref was helping today either, so had to overcome that as well, seemed to get a few decisions wrong and always the wrong way.

Windows

Feb 8, 2013
Hove
The harder people work: the 'luckier' they get. :thumbsup:
I disagree with this statement as some people seem to be generally lucky in life without doing anything special, and others unlucky no matter how hard they try.

You could put it down to the power of positive thinking? I'm generally an extremely positive person in life...always looking on the bright side of every situation, and I reckon I fall into the lucky category.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I disagree with this statement as some people seem to be generally lucky in life without doing anything special, and others unlucky no matter how hard they try.

You could put it down to the power of positive thinking? I'm generally an extremely positive person in life...always looking on the bright side of every situation, and I reckon I fall into the lucky category.

Well you evidently work hard at being positive in life, so I'd say the same statement very much applies to you. :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It is a footballing myth used by managers and maybe their supporters, to try and manage the chaos which is 'luck', usually harbouring feelings of bad luck whilst blocking out their own good fortune and using terms like 'make your own luck' and the 'harder you train' mantra when they themselves have had some element of good luck.

Humans have been trying to control the uncontrollable 'luck' forever.

Superstitions and maybe even religion have tried to convince humans that we can stave off bad luck whilst inducing good luck.

All to no avail, as luck by its very nature is wholly random.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is a footballing myth used by managers and maybe their supporters, to try and manage the chaos which is 'luck', usually harbouring feelings of bad luck whilst blocking out their own good fortune and using terms like 'make your own luck' and the 'harder you train' mantra when they themselves have had some element of good luck.

Humans have been trying to control the uncontrollable 'luck' forever.

Superstitions and maybe even religion have tried to convince humans that we can stave off bad luck whilst inducing good luck.

All to no avail, as luck by its very nature is wholly random.

This.

Luck is luck. Most of the things in the opening post were not luck. Luck is whether you win the coin toss not whether your keeper makes a howler.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
As a previous poster said, luck isn't missing straightforward chances, missing penalties, hitting woodwork, having efforts cleared off the line, or the opposition keeper having a blinder or having penalty appeals turned down. These are all part of the game and they happen to everybody.
Luck is a cup draw or inclement weather causing a cancellation when ten of the first team squad have a virus.
Luck doesn't balance itself out because it is random. Yes, you can argue that there are times in football when a fluke occurs. The keeper has the ball, boots it out, hits the striker on the back of the head, rebounds back into the net ( with the striker knowing nothing about it ) but these type of instances are rare.
Too much is made of ' bad luck ' in football. It is a fail-safe device for fans and mangers. It is a cover for inadequacy. Were we ' unlucky ' at Wolves. No. It was poor defending at a set-piece, against ten men. Were we unlucky v Bolton. No. We went to sleep thinking we had won and they carved out their only chance. At Leicester, no. It was our fault for missing a penalty. Were we lucky at Blackpool. No. It was their fault for missing a string of chances....and so on and so on.
As the late Alex Higgins used to say..." if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd be having no luck at all "

Dec 29, 2011
Given long enough luck will always even itself out. If you flip a coin 500 times and it lands on heads 400, it's luck, but after a while it will even out.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Given long enough luck will always even itself out. If you flip a coin 500 times and it lands on heads 400, it's luck, but after a while it will even out.

I think you are mistaking 'laws of probability' for luck, although maybe your interpretation of 'laws of probability' is flawed too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here