Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Does European football care about climate change?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
More teams, more games - and more flights. Next season will see men's European club football expand further, with an additional 177 fixtures across Uefa's three major tournaments - and with that comes an increasing impact on the planet.

BBC article

Well I'm cycling to Amsterdam and Athens.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
More teams, more games - and more flights. Next season will see men's European club football expand further, with an additional 177 fixtures across Uefa's three major tournaments - and with that comes an increasing impact on the planet.

BBC article

I think you knew the answer before you posted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

BBC article

Maybe worth adding that the BBC article - in case you weren't planning on reading it - includes an extended Football Focus feature from the Amex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If BHAFC becomes climate activists, it's okay for them to still fly around in jets as long as they tell everyone else not to.
I'm cool with flying the team up to Northern games by private jet, the fresher the team are the better.

That's not to say these private jet shouldn't have to pay heavy environmental levies for the damage they are doing. Currently they pay nothing

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm cool with flying the team up to Northern games by private jet, the fresher the team are the better.

That's not to say these private jet shouldn't have to pay heavy environmental levies for the damage they are doing. Currently they pay nothing

What you suggest is that if you're rich enough, you don't have to worry about 'net zero' as you can pay the toll/tax?

I wonder if you see an issue with this yet or will you only notice when you can't afford your jolly to your favourite all-inclusive in Benidorm :unsure:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What you suggest is that if you're rich enough, you don't have to worry about 'net zero' as you can pay the toll/tax?

I wonder if you see an issue with this yet or will you only notice when you can't afford your jolly to your favourite all-inclusive in Benidorm :unsure:
Flying should be more expensive. Ryan Air, Wizz and the like are far worse for the environment than UEFA.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

In an ideal world I'd ban old private jets and premium air travel (business and 1st), but frankly thats not workable.

The more pragmatic approach is if you've got loads of spare cash and want to pollute you need to pay for the damage you're doing.

Benidorm - favourite, are these two words compatible?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here