Does anyone care about the Commonwealth Games ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yep major athletic tournaments are great entertainment IMO.

Agree strongly. Saw Allan Wells talk about his tied race with Mike McFarlane on Sky earlier, brought back happy sporting memories from my kid-hood.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I must admit to feeling totally underwhelmed by it all. The BBC are " all over it " as they delightfully put it, expect a constant barrage of how wonderful and how friendly everyone is and how terrific the atmosphere is 8-12 times per hour. It should be renamed " The Easy Games " and lumped on to BBC 3.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I like seeing England pitted against the might of Vanatu and St. Helena.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Ironically, all the Aussies who want to become a republic are right into it as they always have a good chance of doing well given the paucity of competition, but personally, nah

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
These are the best games EVER........................ until the next ones.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like seeing England pitted against the might of Vanatu and St. Helena.

I actually know someone who lives on St Helena.

It didn't occur to me until last night just how isolated it is (no flights, a five day boat trip in & out). I think they are building an airport though so maybe it'll turn into some sort of exotic holiday destination within a few years. The jewel of the South Atlantic or something.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Yes looking forward to it - especially the swimming as my cousin is the Scotland coach (even though he's not Scottish) Goaaarn Graham !! ;o)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Those Scotch know how to put on an opening ceremony. It was a fair representation of Scottish culture, especially when that drunk bloke put on a dress and started slurring the words to mull of Kintyre.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You can normally tell when an event is going to PONY, BBC Breakfast send Carol Kirkwood to do an outside broadcast of the weather there. She was at Wimbledon last month.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like to see GB do well at the Olympics, so this event serves a useful purpose as a warm-up event for both the athletes and the media.

If there was nothing in between the Olympiad I think public interest in these sports might wane so it's good to from that respect too.

It's also interesting to see the Home Nations competing individually.

That said, I won't be going out of my way to watch these Games. Radio 5Live is going totally OTT on the coverage - last night they had live coverage of a couple of the presenters having a private game of lawn bowls FFS!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Looks like a tight finish in the triathlon, the Brownlee brothers are leading but ONLY JUST, there's a mere minute between them and third place.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Looks like a tight finish in the triathlon, the Brownlee brothers are leading but ONLY JUST, there's a mere minute between them and third place.

Only first and second. Dismal performance from the Brownlees. Athletes of their calibre should have won all three medals, at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports