Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a disability or know someone who does?

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
A two-fold post as I'm keen to explore this community across Sussex and beyond, my view is far more needs to be done to remove unnecessary barriers for disabled people within sport and physical activity, whether participating, spectating, or general access and sense of belonging.

Firstly, as part of my role on the Fan Advisory Board we are creating a Disabled Supporters Association (DSA) which will help the club improve their provision and accessibility, inform the wider sector on how they can be better, and create a close community of fans who either have a disability or have lived experience with someone who does. More details will be released on this in due course, but until now, if you would like to register interest please contact seagulls.dsa@gmail.com

We will also create a separate thread on this closer to the time - we already have a fantastic number expressing interest of their involvement which is really pleasing, and based on their testimony it's clear how valuable this will be to so many.

On a separate note, is there anyone active here who considers themselves to have a disability who would be happy to speak to me briefly on an internal project based around getting more disabled people active and improving access to opportunities for sport and exercise? I'd like to speak to 10 or so people, no longer than 5 minutes. If you know anyone who would be appropriate (any kind of disability, any background) please do get in touch - it would be a massive help.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I am not disabled but am proud of the facilities I see Albion provide for our disabled supporters when I go to my seat in EU. Everytime I see them I think back to what was provided in the past especially stuck in the corner at Withdean. Are these facilities also in other stands.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A two-fold post as I'm keen to explore this community across Sussex and beyond, my view is far more needs to be done to remove unnecessary barriers for disabled people within sport and physical activity, whether participating, spectating, or general access and sense of belonging.

Firstly, as part of my role on the Fan Advisory Board we are creating a Disabled Supporters Association (DSA) which will help the club improve their provision and accessibility, inform the wider sector on how they can be better, and create a close community of fans who either have a disability or have lived experience with someone who does. More details will be released on this in due course, but until now, if you would like to register interest please contact seagulls.dsa@gmail.com

We will also create a separate thread on this closer to the time - we already have a fantastic number expressing interest of their involvement which is really pleasing, and based on their testimony it's clear how valuable this will be to so many.

On a separate note, is there anyone active here who considers themselves to have a disability who would be happy to speak to me briefly on an internal project based around getting more disabled people active and improving access to opportunities for sport and exercise? I'd like to speak to 10 or so people, no longer than 5 minutes. If you know anyone who would be appropriate (any kind of disability, any background) please do get in touch - it would be a massive help.
Have emailed 👍

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
From my experience I don't think The Amex is disabled-friendly at all. Brighton as a city in general is one of the most hostile places for people with disabilities and complex needs. I'm not sure why?! Maybe it's multiple reasons, but for a city and club that prides itself on how inclusive it is to LGBTQ... it's straight-up hostile to disabled people. One of my sons has complex needs and I would never take him to Amex. and I work with people who are disabled I had too many bad experiences and seen shocking behaviour on match day. Even recently a lad with down syndrome was pushed down and people in chairs given bad looks and no one moving for them.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
From my experience I don't think The Amex is disabled-friendly at all. Brighton as a city in general is one of the most hostile places for people with disabilities and complex needs. I'm not sure why?! Maybe it's multiple reasons, but for a city and club that prides itself on how inclusive it is to LGBTQ... it's straight-up hostile to disabled people. One of my sons has complex needs and I would never take him to Amex. and I work with people who are disabled I had too many bad experiences and seen shocking behaviour on match day. Even recently a lad with down syndrome was pushed down and people in chairs given bad looks and no one moving for them.
Well that is sad to hear. On my visual experience I look in wonder at the facilities and have never seen supporters treating wheelchair users with nothing but respect

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Email sent.

On the whole the Club and stewards have a great attitude and disabilities policy. Most of the fans are considerate and when aware, very helpful.

A few supporters can be twunts though, even though they know you have a visible disabilty - last time I was at a match and asked someone politely if they could sit down - I was unable to keep jumping up every time the ball got near the 18 yard box or crossed the goal line for a corner - they turned round, saw my crutches and basically told me to fcuk off and get a disability seat if I couldn’t jump up as fast as they did. I was knocked aside by 5 lads running down the disabled side of the exit ramp last match too and nearly fell over which pissed me off. There’s been other incidents but overall, I feel safe going to the Amex and know the Stewards bend over backwards to help when needed, including allowing the use of areas such as lounges and emergency exit routes to get out of the stands if needed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would agree with you. Sadly, I am having difficulty walking due to severe arthritis so I’m walking with a stick, but awaiting surgery to have my ankle/heel joint fused which may help.
i also take my husband’s arm to help me balance as that joint is also unstable using me to have a nasty fall last year, ending in A&E.
When people are walking in the opposite direction, either in town or at the Amex (inside and out) they don’t see me, and even attempt to walk through the middle of us. Many people have just knocked me, or brushed shoulders, which is disconcerting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here