Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Discounted rail travel - a tip (?)

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
While browsing the Fulham equivalent of NSC, I came across a link to this thread about the cheapest way to get an Annual Gold Card that gives discounted rail travel all the way up to Birmingham.

I'm unsure what advantages a Gold Card has over a Network or Senior (or other) railcards but it may be useful for some far-flung Albion supporters.

What is more intriguing is why anyone would buy an annual season ticket from Newhaven Town to Newhaven Harbour and if anyone has done so at £200!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont get it, what does a gold card get you that a £30 network rail card doesn't?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Family and friends seems to gives me the biggest discount on most trips ( with the kids) and you can add another person to use it for free.. just got a 300 pound journey down to 180 last week using it... or good old network rail card... both 30 quid and can more than pay for them selves in a single use

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
dont get it, what does a gold card get you that a £30 network rail card doesn't?
It covers a wider area and also gives the discounts for peak times. This page explains it better:

Basically you’re buying the cheapest annual season ticket available and using it solely for the additional benefits it gives. You’d need to be using the trains for long journeys at least every week for this to be worthwhile surely?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
IMG_3306.jpeg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Exactly, a third off all rail travel, and valid nationwide too. Pays for itself after a few trips.
Not all rail travel, network rail card is off peak only but that gold card gets you money all peak tickets too. For someone doing the commute to London a couple of times a week it could well be worth getting that cheap season ticket to get the discount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here