Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dicking About In Our Own Goal Area

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Interesting that we are having this discussion after playing Wolves who are one of the best organised teams and their press was easily the best we have faced I would say. So yes it was very scary at times but again it didnt turn into a calamity, and as others have said it was Propper playing the blind pass that led to their goal. Potter has clearly calculated that the benefits outweigh the risks, so lets get used to it .

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Another benefit I see in this style is that I believe the whole team is switched on, on the front foot both physically and mentally, alert as heck, looking for the next pass, the next space to move into... it's like fast chess, and some of those clips from Miffy (?) show some beautiful examples in recent games. I'm a big (still slightly nervous) fan.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
the more used to being able to seamlessly change position the players get … the better we will get on playing this way

what let us down at Villa away was March to me failed to adapt to where he was asked to play .. Alzate meanwhile was polar opposite

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
That was one brilliant pass from Stephens as opposed to the back 4 f......g about with it, passing across the goal in the penalty area. It starts with Webster to Dunk with 1 opponent between them and the the ball goes back to Ryan to be passed to Webster again by which time 2 or 3 opponents are in our box, so the likelihood of losing it with a slight misplaced pass have increased.

That didnt just occur as a chance. Stephens had the time and space to look up and make that pass because we had played the ball out of the press. If we did not do that it would not be possible. Also that was the third attempt to release Maupay that way (potter was gesturing to Maupay to change his run), only after the goal did Nuno depen the defensive line because he then realised he would be punished for it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I watched their second goal again and noted that as he passed the ball to Propper, Webster pointed to his right to indicate where Propper should pass the ball to safely get rid of it. He should take some responsibility for it.
Generally, we get more out of this fannying round than just booting the ball upfield for a 50/50 fight. Yes, we’ll cock up from time to time, but if I keep taking the pills, I’ll get over my “don’t panic” moments.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Spotlight on the goal conceded v Leicester when we were doing this...isn’t it possible to play out from the back or even across it without such a calamity occurring? If I remember rightly, it really was a clusterfeck of basics that led to their goal rather than our style of play. Several passes were hospital in nature plus trapping and decision making was awful. Nothing to do with Potter or style. Just a monumental collective cock up the likes of which I’ve seen under every manager from every team since Alan Mullery (1st time round). I’m not sure I’m seeing the specific link to Potterball in this respect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here